mayan

Legendary member
The set up you feel is short of thrust. Or was it a trashed ESC that caused that?
B pack motor with 30a ESC and a 9x4.7 prop.
From experience now I can tell if it has enough pull to fly well or fly very poorly. And with a b pack motor it will fly but poorly. I might be wrong but hell thats my feeling.

FDS

Elite member
What battery did you run on it?
You could calculate the thrust vs weight ratio then see if it’s enough for 3D.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Just read through all 36 pages of this thread...

This really shows the common path of a beginner, and why some choose to give up so soon. It takes failure to completely understand the relationship between throws, balance, motor size, prop size, and battery size. I’m really glad you stuck with it Mayan, and that beginners will have this thread to reference that they will have success even if they have failure at first.

Keep it up!

mayan

Legendary member
Tomorrow is looking good, sunny and calm. Got my TT hooked up with an F pack motor and the Mini Edge ready to go with me to the field in the morning. Still have to charge some batteries but that will also wait for the morning have to get some rest. Good night for now.

mayan

Legendary member
So I went to the field and went back home without flying anything :(. The screws holding the motor of the Mini Edge came lose and I had no way of fixing it. Changed over to the TT just to find out that a servo of the ailerons broke lose and didn’t have how to fix that either. So packed up my stuff and went home.

Hoping for better luck tomorrow.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So I went to the field and went back home without flying anything :(. The screws holding the motor of the Mini Edge came lose and I had no way of fixing it. Changed over to the TT just to find out that a servo of the ailerons broke lose and didn’t have how to fix that either. So packed up my stuff and went home.

Hoping for better luck tomorrow.

That's no fun at all. :cry:

I ended up putting together a "field box" that goes with me and has screwdrivers, pliers, several glue types, a battery powered hot glue gun, plenty of tapes, bamboo sticks, combat streamers, etc. for those in the grass repairs. At this point I don't even open the box most trips to the field, but it's really handy to be able to help fix anyone's plane and get back into the air.

mayan

Legendary member
That's no fun at all. :cry:

I ended up putting together a "field box" that goes with me and has screwdrivers, pliers, several glue types, a battery powered hot glue gun, plenty of tapes, bamboo sticks, combat streamers, etc. for those in the grass repairs. At this point I don't even open the box most trips to the field, but it's really handy to be able to help fix anyone's plane and get back into the air.
I have two bags one is a build bag goes with me to work and home when I build my planes and a field bag which as all the repair tools. Thing is that I hadn’t the right size screw :(.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Say is there a way to straighten a motor shaft?
You can try but they rarely straighten out properly or exactly.
Often you can buy replacement motor shafts for the motor or even replacement shafts for a similar motor that will suffice. I have even made my own using music wire, bicycle spokes, and even mild steel rod of suitable diameter, It just takes time and can be a little fiddly.

Sadly the motor shaft is not always the only part that gets bent so if possible check the rotor and even the coil assembly to ensure that they are bent as well before buying a replacement motor shaft.

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
I have two exact motor one won’t spin no more and the other a bent shaft how can I replace the shafts? Is there like a video of it or something I can follow along with?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I have two exact motor one won’t spin no more and the other a bent shaft how can I replace the shafts? Is there like a video of it or something I can follow along with?
There is normally a Circlip at the base of the motor shaft, (the end that goes to the engine mount. Remove the clip and the rotor with motor shaft should be able to be extracted forward from the stator. The rotor normally has a grub screw or two used to tighten the rotor/magnet housing/bell, to the motor shaft. Loosen them and the motor shaft should slide out. Caution the shaft can be a very tight fit or even worse especially if it is badly bent. For badly bent shafts I undo the grub screws and actually cut the damaged shaft flush with the rotor before trying to extract it, (just to make it a little easier)!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Got myself something things to do during my night shift at work tonight. I have electronics to hook up on the 3rd version of my Mini Edge and finish off that build. That way I can maiden both the 2nd and 3rd versions tomorrow morning and get something to think off for my final version.

I also have some plans to sit on. I am trying to make yet another modification for the TT this one is dedicated too a few people on the forum but more about that when the time comes.

mayan

Legendary member
There is normally a Circlip at the base of the motor shaft, (the end that goes to the engine mount. Remove the clip and the rotor with motor shaft should be able to be extracted forward from the stator. The rotor normally has a grub screw or two used to tighten the rotor/magnet housing/bell, to the motor shaft. Loosen them and the motor shaft should slide out. Caution the shaft can be a very tight fit or even worse especially if it is badly bent. For badly bent shafts I undo the grub screws and actually cut the damaged shaft flush with the rotor before trying to extract it, (just to make it a little easier)!

Have fun!
Prefect will try it on the broken motor first but not tonight got myself other plans for tonight.

mayan

Legendary member
Got myself something things to do during my night shift at work tonight. I have electronics to hook up on the 3rd version of my Mini Edge and finish off that build. That way I can maiden both the 2nd and 3rd versions tomorrow morning and get something to think off for my final version.

I also have some plans to sit on. I am trying to make yet another modification for the TT this one is dedicated too a few people on the forum but more about that when the time comes.
So night shift is almost over and I am feeling shit. I still have the afternoon shift tomorrow as well and I am already so exhausted that taking away even a bit of my sleep hours will make me colapse and I rather not push my luck. I did finish my 3rd version of the Mini Edge and didn't get to sit on the plans like I wanted so that's my plan for today's afternoon shift.