mayan

Legendary member
I initially thought of skipping 3 channel and going straight to 4 channels but decided to go 2-3-4 channel so I can teach my 6 year old to fly.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I plan on doing it the same way. I have a thread in the video section called "gotta start em early" where my 2 year old is flying my 2ch simple soarer. He's still a little too young to really get it, but he will learn eventually.

mayan

Legendary member
I plan on doing it the same way. I have a thread in the video section called "gotta start em early" where my 2 year old is flying my 2ch simple soarer. He's still a little too young to really get it, but he will learn eventually.

I’ll have a look during my night shift. Went out flying today and smashed up my motor :(. It’s now two pieces and doesn’t spin any more. ;(
Don’t know when I’ll be able to get a new one, nor when will I be able to go practice soon. Wasn’t really able to fly the Simple Cub and feel that the trainer is a prefect practice plane. I wanted to try the Mini Arrow but now have no motor. :/

Last edited:

Arcfyre

Elite member
That's too bad. I had a lousy RC day yesterday too. My best wing crashed somewhere in the woods after I lost orientation. I spent 2 hours looking and couldn't find it again. There goes a motor, ESC, my 2600 battery, and my stabilized LemonRX. And that's all after my racer took a swim. (See other post "my ft racer disaster") Some days are just really unlucky.

mayan

Legendary member
What happened yesterday? Any body else had a bad fly day? I did get a good looking video taken by another friend with a drone. Almost looks like I had a good flying day. My kids sure did have some fun.

BTW I started building the FT Versa Wing today. I started off by creating the plan pieces using a technique that Josh Bixler recommended in one of his video about scratch building. I added a few extra steps to it based on a different video the FT team had about spray painting foam board planes. Will about the steps later today and will share a video of the process the next time I go through it.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Great flight there. You deserve it after all the work you put in.

Next build the TT sport wing and go 4 channel.

You will have better luck flying into the wind with the sport wing and you should be able to learn some basic aerobatics.

mayan

Legendary member
Great flight there. You deserve it after all the work you put in.

Next build the TT sport wing and go 4 channel.

You will have better luck flying into the wind with the sport wing and you should be able to learn some basic aerobatics.

Even if it’s super windy?

Corbarrad

mayan said:
Even if it’s super windy?
Depends, really. as long as you have enough power to overcome the wind it can be a fun challenge.
The tiny trainer is a small and light plane, though, so it's got its limits.
More power and more weight will help you in the wind, but will make for more difficulties in handling at slow speeds.

You seem to have pretty steady wind at your site, so while you're wihout a motor, why not try your hand at slope soaring, if you can find a suitable hill that is.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I think you'll like the Versa. I've built 5 of them in the meantime. The nice thing is they don't have that many parts so you can scratch build them fairly quickly.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Super windy is an issue for any light plane. The sport wing will handle wind better than the glider wing for the type of flying you are trying to do (powered flight).

I learned to fly in much the way @Corbarrad is suggesting, no motor, slope soaring off a hill in Southern CA. It's a great way to learn how to read the wind and use currents and thermals to your advantage. Just don't forget to balance so the CG is right.

mayan

Legendary member
Thank you for your inputs to my question. I’ll build the Versa Wing for the time being. because the store in which I buy my electronics is closed for the holdidays untill the 20th. That means I got no MT1806 motor until then, but I do have a BL2210 which might be to heavy for the TT but could defentaly work on the Versa Wing.

As promised here is the way I create my plane plans so that they can be reused for a decent while, as well as easily stored. This is a somewhat long process but I feel that the plans can be reused and saved for a longer period of time without wearing out.

Based on Josh Bixler’s video “Making Template Plans - Quick Tip | Flite Test”, I do these steps.
1) Print out the titled plans.

2) Cut off the printed pages on their bleed marks.

3) Tape the pages together to create the full sized plan.

4) Cut the full sized plan into the different plane pieces about half an inch from their outer black line.

5) Spary Super 77 on the back of the plane pieces and glue them to a 240 gram poster paper, while tying to get as many pieces as possible on one poster paper.
44058A2C-E9EB-43C1-B5C2-70D0AACEC8B3.jpeg

*** I’ll usually place them on the poster paper before using glue to get a visual of how to maximize the use of the poster paper.

6) Using siscors I now cut the poster paper into the different plane pieces, cutting as close to outer black line as possible.

This is where I stop following Josh’s “Making Template Plans - Quick Tip | Flite Test” video and add a few extra steps some based on this video “Painting Your Scratch Build | Flite Test

7) Spary Super 77 on the back of the cut out pieces and glue them to cellophane wrapping paper or some other clear plastic wrapping paper. This is what I use.
352F8BA3-819E-42D2-B0B9-2CA711C532EB.jpeg

8) Cut of the excess material to get the separate plane pieces with a plastic bottom on them. I usually just slide my siscors half way open around the edge of the pieces and that cuts of the excess without any fuss. This is what your looking to achieve.
42CB56AC-4776-4F47-825A-93FBF2487FC7.jpeg

9) Using a professional cutting knife mark score cut, creases, or anything else that you want to be able to mark down later onto the foam board. This is how one of my pieces look like.
71227E4E-CC6D-4512-806D-C29DEFBA4B8A.jpeg

CBE77C51-F105-4F4E-A66F-3355880C292A.jpeg

10) Spary Super 77 on the back of the plane pieces (the side with the plastic wrapping paper). Don’t spary a lot, and let it dry for a good two hours. What we are trying to achieve is a sticky layer with no strength to actually glue down rather that just stick. After about two hours touch the pieces and feel how sticky they are if they are very sticky wait more. Don’t rush this step because there is nothing more annoying than having the piece glue to something where it can’t be removed.

11) Take another piece of cellophane paper and stick the plane pieces to it.

12) Cut the cellophane paper about half an inch from the edge of each plane piece and set aside.
81E95B94-2E6A-4BD1-AD28-611BFCB83ED7.jpeg

13) Create a storage case to fit the plans. I usually use the cellophane wrapping paper to create a clear envelope like this one which also stores and plane pieces that I am working on.
EF1F665B-9E39-4AE9-A227-946B8E81889A.jpeg

That’s it we are done creating the re-useable plans. How do I use them? Simple.
I peal off the cellophane wrapping paper and stick the piece I want to foam board.
F4D0EC5C-58EA-464B-AF72-CC49D3B3B233.jpeg

I use the plan to mark score cuts, creases or anything else onto the foam board. After that is done you can do two things.
1) Trace the piece outline to the foam board remove the piece template and cut out the piece.
2) Use the piece template to trace cut the piece out and the remove the template itself.

mayan

Legendary member
Hey all wanted to do something special with the Versa Wing, considering I can’t fly the TT because I have no motor.

0DD4709F-3526-4C36-ACB3-F33141486C4B.jpeg

I see the mess ups but still any feedback is welcome...

Also is there a way to fix up this motor?
25358F5D-235B-41B8-91EC-5479EEB9DC88.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I am no expert in brushless motors by any means, but it looks like you managed to break the motor shaft. I am not entirely sure but that would be my best guess, and if it is you might be able to buy a replacement depending on what motor that is.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
If the motor shaft is broken and you are newer to the hobby I would just replace the motor. Sometimes small things like that can seem simple to fix but you end up just making it harder on yourself and not getting a good product. I would know I have done the same thing many times before.

mayan

Legendary member
Oh well if we got to give up on the motor I’d might as well tear it apart and enjoy the lesson I can learn from that.

I am half almost done with building the Versa Wing. However it feels super tail heavy and that being said without the motor being connected as a pusher to it. Could I have done something wrong or is that normal? How do you balance out your Versa Wing?

DD5EB8D9-2D4A-4710-A754-6987F53DD11A.jpeg

Arcfyre

Elite member
Balancing out a Versa Wing as a pusher is going to be very difficult. I have 4 feet of landing gear wire bent into the nose of mine plus two large carriage bolts. It's still just barely neutral with a 1300 battery in it. I strongly recommend you build your first Wing as a tractor with the Power Pod. Much easier to balance. You can always convert it to a pusher later once you have a few flights with it and you decide if you like it or not.

mayan

Legendary member
I think I like mainly it because of the look the Wing has and think the the tractor version makes it look weird for a Wing :).
Having a super hard time cutting through the plywood though any tips in regards to cutting through it? Cause I sure didn’t know how hard 3 mm can be untill now.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I fully agree with you. The tractor Versa Wing looks a little bit goofy. However I would rather have a goofy looking airplane that flies great than a great looking airplane that flies goofy.

As for cutting the plywood I would try a small hand saw. Usually Swiss Army knives have usable saws on them.

Funny that you chose red and white. My wings are the same color. 😀

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Versa wings are hard to get the CG right on if you're doing it as a pusher. I've built 3 of them so far, and they don't balance until I have a battery in them, and it's got to be a 2200mAh battery!

I ended up gluing some big flat washers in the front, as well as a paint stick; the paint stick acts somewhat as a wing spar for stiffness, and it also acts a brace to secure a velcro strap around without ripping the plane up. Yes, it's added weight, but it's also adding a bit of stiffness for the wing, and a good point for the battery to brace. And, most places like Home Depot and Lowe's, if you ask for some paint sticks at the paint counter, they'll give them to you!

mayan

Legendary member
I fully agree with you. The tractor Versa Wing looks a little bit goofy. However I would rather have a goofy looking airplane that flies great than a great looking airplane that flies goofy.

As for cutting the plywood I would try a small hand saw. Usually Swiss Army knives have usable saws on them.

Funny that you chose red and white. My wings are the same color. 😀

True on that better flying great than flying goofy. I think I got a solution for the balancing of the tail heavy but want to get some stuff ready to test before cutting up the slot for the motor of the pusher version.

Wanted to go a bit more crazy with the design but that didn’t work out as expected so stayed simple for the first time :).

Hand saw might work good I’ll try that. How do you get curves and inner small parts?