cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
With the rudder reversed, if you move the stick to turn left, the rudder and plane will turn right. The plane does the opposite of what you want it to do.

The first time I built a Tiny Trainer I had the elevator reversed. The plane would start pitching down so I would pull back on the stick but with the elevator reversed the harder I pulled back, the faster the plane would dive. It made for a few very quick maidens consisting of tossing the plane, pulling back to get elevation and watching the plane nose dive into the dirt 6 feet in front of me.

Reversed control surfaces blow.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Quick question when flying 4 channels what would be the default stick setup? Throttle and rudder on the left and elevator and ailerons on the right or something else?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Quick question when flying 4 channels what would be the default stick setup? Throttle and rudder on the left and elevator and ailerons on the right or something else?
That is correct for mode 2 transmitters BUT...............................................................................
If you are using only a 3 channel setup it is best if the rudder is fitted into the Aileron channel. This makes the aileron channel the "Turn" channel so that when you move up to 4 channel flying the process is so seamless, often the rudder is rarely used or is used far less for turning when flying 4 channel. In addition there are setups where the rudder does not exist in a 3 channel setup often referred to as "Bank and Yank" models which use only elevator and ailerons, (throttle as well).

Fit your rudder servo into the Aileron output from the Rx and start learning properly!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks for the inputs everyone. I ended up leaving the setup with the rudder on the left stick, thinking that if can control the rudder on the left stick when I plug in the ailerons (which is the next step in my training proccess) I'd still have an easy time flying, since in my opinion its harder to controll two sticks with different hands. I got a chance to go practice today, and that really made me happy :D.
These are the outcomes of today's practicing: 06/09/18
Let me know what you think.... Tips for tomorrow's practicing session would be very welcome.

BTW another question that comes to mind. How can I get it to gain altitude? Just feel like I am flying super low, which gives me little time to play around with it in the air.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
HEY all! Tried to get the sports wing built and kinda messed it up using glue which was to hot. Which melted the foam here and there on the alieron bevels. Also find hard to connect the push rush to the servos felling that the holes are to small compared to the push rod diameter. I am using 3.7g servos with a 0.8mm push rod.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Plus any ideas about the gaining altitude issue I feel that I have, based on the videos that I posted ealier today?

Going to practice again tomorrow, looking forward to your feedback...

Arcfyre

Elite member
I feel like you're making progress! Your flights, while not necessarily prettier, are definitely getting longer, which means you are gaining control.

I watched your most recent playlist, and noticed a few things:

How windy was it when you were flying? There are times when your TT doesn't even seem to move relative to the ground. In these conditions, I'm not surprised that its difficult for you to get the hang of it.

I really feel like you should give rudder on the right stick a try. In your videos I can hear the motor changing pitch while you turn. It is notoriously difficult as a beginner to give rudder input without making accidental changes to the throttle if they are on the same stick. If you have rudder and throttle on two different sticks, it is impossible to do this, and it makes it easier to fly.

I also think I heard your gimbals (sticks on your transmitter) spring back to their neutral positions several times while you were flying. By that I mean it sounds like you were giving a control input, and then just "let go" of the stick with your fingers. This makes for very abrupt control inputs, and makes it very difficult to fly smoothly. I may be wrong, but that is what I thought I heard.

Try keeping your fingers on the sticks at all times. To make a right turn, push the stick gently to the right, and when the turn is as sharp as you wish it, push the stick slowly back to the middle or zero position. The plane will continue in the bank, assuming there is not too much wind acting on it. If your right turn becomes too steep, correct it with some left stick. Also be ready to add some up elevator (right stick back/down) as turning will cost some lift. When you want the turn to end, apply left stick until the plane assumes level flight. Then be ready to correct let or right if it starts to drift in either direction.

Are you able to dial in some expo in your transmitter? I am unsure what equipment you are using. Expo will help deaden the center of your control sticks and make your controls more smooth. Most FT designs like about 30% expo.

Finally, double check your CG or center of gravity. There are a few sequences where your plane is exhibiting a "porpoising" behavior when flying with the wind, meaning the tail drops and the nose is high. This is usually a sign of it flying tail heavy.

How to gain altitude with an underpowered motorglider (your TT): Keep the nose pointed into the wind. You will see that your glider will fly very slowly over the ground. Apply just enough up elevator to start a slow climb, but be careful not to push the nose so high that the aircraft stalls. In heavy wind, you need to maintain airspeed to fight the effects of windshear, especially when flying downwind. Finally, use the rudder to combat gusts and keep the wings as level as possible. Sharp turns will spill the wind from your wings, losing your lift and costing altitude. You want to keep the plane flat and pointed into the wind.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Much better flight! :)

This is how I read what happened. The plane was tossed at too steep an angle resulting in a stall at the top of the toss. The stall cost all your speed which then results in a loss of almost all your altitude.

That plane has a lot of wing and with that much headwind it will generate PLENTY of lift. Don't try to gain a ton of altitude off the toss with this bird. You don't have too. Just use the rudder to keep the nose pointed into the wind with a little up elevator to gain altitude. Keep your airspeed up when running with the wind and do as little of that as possible. Your plane wants to fly into the breeze not with it.

In later clips I see you recognizing the stall and making good adjustments. When you get the nose down and flying into the wind, you have good control and get to fly. In these moments I may be seeing some 'porpoising' which often indicates a CG issue. I could be wrong. There is a lot going on in those flights but I suggest re-testing CG.

Really much better flights today.

EDIT: pretty much what Arcfyre said. :)

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks for your answers.

Arcfyre to answer your questions.
How windy was it when you were flying?
I don’t think it was too windy however the plane did hang in some of the flights especially in one that unfortunately was not filmed.

I really feel like you should give rudder on the right stick a try.
Will give it a try today.

Are you able to dial in some expo in your transmitter?
I am but not sure how to. I am using a T8FB RadioLink transmitter.

Also I might have let go of the gimbals at some point not quite sure will try keeping an eye out for it today. As well as double check the CG.

Cranialrectosis also wanted to say thanks for your tips will try keeping an eye out for the mistakes you pointed out when practicing today.

Stay tuned for today’s practice videos...

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just ensure that the propeller is facing the correct way or you will lose efficiency.

The right way is the thickest edge facing forward and the thinnest edge facing the motor/plane.

I mention this because some beginners have put the propeller on the wrong way around and found that the plane has very poor performance.

Just something to check!

have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Just ensure that the propeller is facing the correct way or you will lose efficiency.

The right way is the thickest edge facing forward and the thinnest edge facing the motor/plane.

I mention this because some beginners have put the propeller on the wrong way around and found that the plane has very poor performance.

Just something to check!

have fun!

If I recall correct the numbers facing forward?

mayan

Legendary member
Another quick question aileron right goes up left down mean right turn and vice versa?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The side that has the Aileron up will go down!
The side the rudder moves to is the side that the rudder/tail moves away from
The side that the elevator moves to is the side the elevator/tail moves away from.

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Woaho token a friend with a drone and went flying together. Will post some edited videos this time once he sends me the photage.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The side that has the Aileron up will go down!
The side the rudder moves to is the side that the rudder/tail moves away from
The side that the elevator moves to is the side the elevator/tail moves away from.

Have fun!

Josh and Josh once talked about the ailerons giving your transmitter a "high five" - when you are standing behind the plane, the ailerons should go up and give a high five to the aileron stick in the same direction it's being pushed. That helps me remember :D

mayan

Legendary member
Josh and Josh once talked about the ailerons giving your transmitter a "high five" - when you are standing behind the plane, the ailerons should go up and give a high five to the aileron stick in the same direction it's being pushed. That helps me remember :D

Thanks for the tip got a link to the article or video, by chance?

mayan

Legendary member
Yeppy got the photage and some great photage it is :love::love::love:. Now just got to edit it so I can post it and will proudly share yesterday’s practice session with you all :D