Arcfyre

Elite member
Man, kind of a bummer.

I wasn't there, obviously, but from watching the video, the plane is very hard to keep track of. I lost it in the sun, and I wonder if you did too. Maybe next time stand with your back to the sun so that you can see the airplane more clearly with no glare. Just a thought. Keep flying, brother!

mayan

Legendary member
View attachment 121516
Not at 11am like I wanted too but I did go flying today. Went with my mom which never saw my flying and today saw me flying for the very first time. I must say that it was right after eating lunch with a 1/3 of beer, videos tomorrow...
As promised here is the footage from yesterday when I went to show off my "skills" to my mom.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Did you ever get your simple soarer or versa wing to fly? I feel like they would be more stable camera platforms.

mayan

Legendary member
Did you ever get your simple soarer or versa wing to fly? I feel like they would be more stable camera platforms.
The Versa Wing I never managed to, it kept crashing into the ground. The Simple Soarer I did, but always had problems with it pitching up like crazy and then looping back around. Had to work it with full down elevator to make it gain to high altitude.
From here till the end is me flying the Simple Soarer check it out and let me know why you think that happened. You have more exprience with that plane than I do.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Looks like it was either very tail heavy, or the motor needed more down thrust angle.

Of those two options I'd say that the thrust angle being off was more likely. The SS has a significant wing on it, the motor needs to pull down a bit or it won't fly correctly.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
From the video I would suggest that firstly you check the wing/tail incidence angles. If OK then revise the cg or balance point further forward and possibly give the motor a little additional down thrust.

The down thrust angle change may not be required if the plane noses up even without motor power applied.

Just a few suggestions!

have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to rebuild one because that plane is long gone. I used it as a plane to trainer my son to fly starting with a 2 channel setup. At some point I gave it a try and broke it completly.
From 2:10 it's me breaking the plane.

mayan

Legendary member
So I gave my kids a day off from school and went to do a father children day. Took @buzzbomb advice and went to create a memory. We flew the FT Mini Arrow, a drone and the SpiTTT with 3 sets of wings; the glider wing, the sports wing and the SpiTTT wing. Here is a photo of the FT Mini Arrow, after its first maiden, videos of the day will be posted later after I get a chance to edit them.

8B058614-487D-4563-8D69-254938E63ED0.jpeg

WHY AM I SMILING?!
Well because I managed to get a wing airborn which just gave me a drive to fix or rebuild it :). Why a wing? Because the Versa Wing I had once build did never go airborn.

NOW REPEAT AFTER ME :)
D1651AE2-717D-4701-B7FA-41DA96E26C39.jpeg

A4AC3B4A-498D-4D64-8A1B-79637ADB0454.jpeg

96347B7D-11DC-451D-8DEB-B6C9E9A0FBE5.jpeg

Repeat!

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
That farmer is going to get a record crop of foamboard fragments this year!
Looking forward to the video. Taking my motion sickness tablets ready...

mayan

Legendary member
That farmer is going to get a record crop of foamboard fragments this year!
Looking forward to the video. Taking my motion sickness tablets ready...
No need to this time the footage is off a GoPro camera that is strapped to my forehead. :)

First maiden of the Mini Arrow
Flying our drone
Flying the SpiTTT fuselage with the original TT glider wing set

After checking the electronics at home I have come to understand that the issue was not with the ESC or anything else and was related to this connection adapter with is a cheap fix :)

B2AC7A7F-E271-4FC1-9F62-D5593EDA69C5.jpeg

Arcfyre

Elite member
Right on brother! Nice to see you branching out from your TT. I think it's awesome you took the kids for a day. Good for you.

FDS

Elite member
Nice job!
My son and I were out at sunset yesterday, sitting on a concrete slab by the sports field in camp chairs, flying touch n go’s with the Sport Cub as the sun went down behind us, we flew ‘til it got too dark and all our batteries were flat.
You can’t buy that anywhere. Good on you for taking the kids out and letting them loose on the sticks!
You did a good launch of the wing, if you had kept climbing I think it would have flown longer. I would have trouble getting one of those in the air, never mind flying it.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Mayan, that was beautiful! You gave yourself a much better birthday present than any video of mine would have been. (For anyone not in the know, we're cross-posting between two different threads. It's OK.) I appreciate the dedication to me at the beginning. It touched my heart.

I'm glad you had the Mini Arrow in the air for so long. That was a pretty good flight, concerning the rocky start.

Your children are wonderful and your son flys a quad surprisingly well! I suspect it's self levelling and all that good stuff, but he obviously gets it. At his apparent age, that's pretty good in my book.

You had already decided to take this day and dedicate it to sharing your interests with your children. My post came afterward. I am very glad you had made that decision. You'll really appreciate it your whole life. Ten years from now, you'll be at the dinner table and ask your daughter "Remember that day I kept you out of school and we went flying?" Both your children are old enough now, they will probably remember it. There simply is no substitute for that. Well done, my friend. Well done.

mayan

Legendary member
Nice job!
My son and I were out at sunset yesterday, sitting on a concrete slab by the sports field in camp chairs, flying touch n go’s with the Sport Cub as the sun went down behind us, we flew ‘til it got too dark and all our batteries were flat.
You can’t buy that anywhere. Good on you for taking the kids out and letting them loose on the sticks!
You did a good launch of the wing, if you had kept climbing I think it would have flown longer. I would have trouble getting one of those in the air, never mind flying it.
Aren’t these moment memories the most important thing? :) I think they are. I trust you’d do fine with the wing it’s not as hard as I expected. I was actually flying with under 50% throttle so I could control it, a few more practices and I should be able to throttle up :).

mayan

Legendary member
Mayan, that was beautiful! You gave yourself a much better birthday present than any video of mine would have been. (For anyone not in the know, we're cross-posting between two different threads. It's OK.) I appreciate the dedication to me at the beginning. It touched my heart.

I'm glad you had the Mini Arrow in the air for so long. That was a pretty good flight, concerning the rocky start.

Your children are wonderful and your son flys a quad surprisingly well! I suspect it's self levelling and all that good stuff, but he obviously gets it. At his apparent age, that's pretty good in my book.

You had already decided to take this day and dedicate it to sharing your interests with your children. My post came afterward. I am very glad you had made that decision. You'll really appreciate it your whole life. Ten years from now, you'll be at the dinner table and ask your daughter "Remember that day I kept you out of school and we went flying?" Both your children are old enough now, they will probably remember it. There simply is no substitute for that. Well done, my friend. Well done.
I made the decision before your post true that. But you post made me feel better with my decision :). About the quad my son has a lot of practice time compared my daughter and also was less stressed out about the farmer being there my daughter was freaking out. It took me a good while to get here to understand that the worst that can happen is that we would be asked to leave. I am still waiting on your video of flying the TT.