Paracodespoder

Elite member
Yes, lol. Typo. But on the topic, both would be too small. I'm specifically referencing the can diameter which in this case would be the 22. No motor in the 22 size range is going to be able to spin a 9, 10, or 11 inch prop, regardless if it's a 2215 or a 2205.
Umm, not to be rude here, but the c-pack (2215, 1100kv) spins up to a 10x4.5 prop and is the recommended power pack for the storch by flitetest. In the storch release video one ( or more, don’t exactly remember) of the 4 storch was flown with it just fine. Also, the ft legacy (very similar in size) can be built with one c-pack motor.

mayan

Legendary member
Umm, not to be rude here, but the c-pack (2215, 1100kv) spins up to a 10x4.5 prop and is the recommended power pack for the storch by flitetest.
I am also thinking that the motor might work, although I fear that it won't have enough power battery wise. Wouldn't want to build one and have it sit around.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So @Hai-Lee you say better to start with the Simple Cub over the Simple Scout? Or would you still recommend the Simple Scout?
It all depends on what tickles your fancy!

Both would be OK but the scout will not fly as slow as the cub will. The scout will be able to support motor and performance upgrades better of course and have a more sports feel than the cub ever will.

You have to fly it not me! I love my cub now that it is sorted and still fly it but it is getting further from the front of the flying cue of late. Too stable to keep me interested and my fingers/thumbs in peak condition. I still do a lot of maidens and special projects so I need a bird that thinks ahead and does maneuvers as fast as I can think of them just to keep the Adrenalin levels up!

The only real problem with the cub was that most of those who had trouble with their build were almost expecting ARF performance but with the build variables the resultant builds were not as perfect as they expected. Most had no clue as to the issues so they labelled it as poor and moved on. The storch is also a great build but bigger and more expensive than a cub build.

As before it is your choice as always! Who knows you may end up building all three candidates. The cub when setup properly is a brilliant taildragger take off and landing teaching plane. It has tons of rudder authority though the rolls are a little slow. Be careful of the elevator as it has so much authority that on take-off, I have sometimes forgotten and suddenly, the cub has jumped into the air so fast, and high, that I almost panicked!

You choose!

Have fun!

Arcfyre

Elite member
Umm, not to be rude here, but the c-pack (2215, 1100kv) spins up to a 10x4.5 prop and is the recommended power pack for the storch by flitetest. In the storch release video one ( or more, don’t exactly remember) of the 4 storch was flown with it just fine. Also, the ft legacy (very similar in size) can be built with one c-pack motor.

@Paracodespoder, @JTarmstr ok, yes. You guys are right. The B and C's are 22 size motors and FT says they can spin up to 10 in props. What I said in my previous post was incorrect.

What I should have said instead is that in my experience with the Storch, it flies better, and has a much wider flight envelope with a larger motor. I powered one with a 3515-1100 spinning an 11x4 prop, and it was putting out about 330 watts on a full 3S. It made for a very nice flight experience, it had ample power but wasn't torquey on takeoff.

My current (heavily modified) Storch has an 84" wingspan and runs a 4238-750 with a 12x8 prop. It's an absolute monster and probably my best flying plane.

JTarmstr

Elite member
I am also thinking that the motor might work, although I fear that it won't have enough power battery wise. Wouldn't want to build one and have it sit around.

That motor/prop/battery combo you listed should provide at least 1 and a half pounds at full throttle, that should be more than enough.

bracesport

Legendary member
I'm just thankful my planes fly at all!

I am gonna have to get my head around props, motors, and batteries at some stage - I only run 11x6 folding props at the moment on my 1100kv motors with a 2440 3c lipo and a 1300 2c lipo - pulls the 1.2m trainer along nicely!

JTarmstr

Elite member
What I should have said instead is that in my experience with the Storch, it flies better, and has a much wider flight envelope with a larger motor. I powered one with a 3515-1100 spinning an 11x4 prop, and it was putting out about 330 watts on a full 3S. It made for a very nice flight experience, it had ample power but wasn't torquey on takeoff.

You are correct, it wont perform at sport levels with a 2215 motor, but the purpose of this storch or scout would be something to practice touch and goes with as well as entry to larger RC planes. and in the event of Mayan wanting a bit more sport with it, he can always bolt on a bigger motor, one of the benefits of foamboard airplanes :).

mayan

Legendary member
Oops, sorry about that :p
LOL! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I think I am going to have to think this one through. I want to get to fly bigger models and do ground take offs and landings, but still have the option for a lot of modifications around the model like I did with my TT. I told Arcfyre that what impressed me about the Mini Scout was the takeoff runway that was required, being little to nothing. Before I noticed the plane was up and in the air, which really helped me take off, I never had the chance to land it on the ground like I wanted because I crashed it in the field and it took me a lot of time to find it again. When I eventually found it the servo for the elevator was disconnected so I couldn't fly it again. Yet!

Arcfyre

Elite member
The Storch has a wingspan right around 60" or so, so keep that in mind too. It can be tricky to fit into a smaller car without squishing it.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Good news everybody the other day I went to field right after my night shift to look for my sunglasses. Guess what I found them! Having gone to the field any ways I took my TT out for a short fly too :).

Also finished my Mini Scout for the "FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge" and couldn't wait to take it out for a first maiden. Since the challenge is giving us an option to choose the best out of three first maidens this is still not my official submitted maiden video. I still have two more tries to do better :).

iPhone footage:

GoPro footage:

My inputs about that maiden:

After I lost the plane in the field and looked for it for more than an hour with no success, I gave up. I went home sat down with all the video footage and started building a search plan. I took screenshots of the plane on it's last seconds in the air to try pinpoint its crash location, downloaded them to my phone and waited for time to go again to the field to search for it. I knew that if I left it out at the field overnight its electronics would be wasted, because of the moist that would be created during the night due to temperature drops.

View attachment 123277
View attachment 123278
View attachment 123279
View attachment 123280

I managed to get an hour to search while my wife took our daughter to a treatment she had. I took our son and went searching. With him on my back I tried to get to the location in which I thought the plane crashed in, looking for landmarks which I have decided to use while looking at the screenshots at home. It wasn't easy because on the field things look different than they do from far out. We were walking for a bit and couldn't find it, knowing that it crashed before a certain landmark we decided to walk from side to side moving a bit closer every time to where I was standing when I was flying the plane. After walking that way quite a bit we found it, still having some free time till my wife came back to pick us up from the field and drop me off at work, we decided to go fly some drones :).

This morning I finished fixing up the minor damages that were done (a loose servo), plus I re-enforced the place that I saw fit too. My mini Scout is now ready to be flown again, and I am itching to go for a second maiden and an attempt at the FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge even though the wind is blowing at 30 km/hr.
I stopped the first video at 6:22 long enough to post "WHAAATTTT!!!!" You hand caught the friggin' landing??!! Where the heck did that skill come from?! Totally amazing, my brother! Over here? :eek:o_O:D:love: This mind is officially blown. I must have missed something during my absence. I had no idea you could do that. I have become speechless. I'm out of adjectives. Wow. Just Wow.

I've still got to watch and read the rest of the post and thread, but Holy Cow! I had to stop and comment.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I finished reading/watching through that post and the rest of the thread. I didn't say so earlier, but I think it is really cool that you let your daughter take the sticks. She didn't want to fly it. She just wanted to do what Daddy was doing, and that's pretty awesome. I've said it before: The time passes so quickly. I'm very glad you got to share that with her.

Today was pretty trying, and towards the end I had one of those "Remember when?" conversations with my son. We're looking forward to his future, but those possibilities are based upon his past experience. Everything else aside that you accomplished with that post, I am glad you got to share that time with your family.

Then you hand-caught a landing... I'm still speechless. Moving on. :p

It was easier to see from the footage your wife was shooting on the I5. I've got flight at 00:09 and touchdown at 01:59. Unofficial flight time of one minute and fifty seconds. And yes. The idea on my side of the challenge was also just to have fun. And give me an excuse to go fly a plane I really wanted to. :whistle: :sneaky:

You're doing landing gear. I'm thinking that for my third flight (unless I totally botch the first two) I might just make it four channel! :cool: It is just such a riot in the sim!

As to nearly losing a lost plane? I've been assisting the finding of it by simply stopping everything when it goes down. I pick something in the distance on the other side of the 'landing' site and stop video and/or movement. Then I try to keep my eyes glued to the spot I picked while I walk to where I think the plane went down and then continue to walk towards my distant point while looking around a lot.

It sounds pretty elementary, but actually doing it is not easy. Especially in high vegetation when you can't see the actual ground. Or just toss up a quad and take screenshots. Mayan, you never cease to impress. :)

mayan

Legendary member
I finished reading/watching through that post and the rest of the thread. I didn't say so earlier, but I think it is really cool that you let your daughter take the sticks. She didn't want to fly it. She just wanted to do what Daddy was doing, and that's pretty awesome. I've said it before: The time passes so quickly. I'm very glad you got to share that with her.

Today was pretty trying, and towards the end I had one of those "Remember when?" conversations with my son. We're looking forward to his future, but those possibilities are based upon his past experience. Everything else aside that you accomplished with that post, I am glad you got to share that time with your family.
I took you advice :)

Then you hand-caught a landing... I'm still speechless. Moving on. :p
Not recommended though apart from breaking the servo arm, I cut myself real bad and painful.

It was easier to see from the footage your wife was shooting on the I5. I've got flight at 00:09 and touchdown at 01:59. Unofficial flight time of one minute and fifty seconds. And yes. The idea on my side of the challenge was also just to have fun. And give me an excuse to go fly a plane I really wanted to. :whistle::sneaky:
My wife zoomed in when I couldn't. The time is still unofficial until I crash another 2 times before. Also really happy with the way out challenge is going, I am really having fun.

You're doing landing gear.
You have to try it it's so much fun. I want to do it again and again and again. Don't know if its because the last time I tried that with the Simple Cub it didn't work.

As to nearly losing a lost plane? I've been assisting the finding of it by simply stopping everything when it goes down. I pick something in the distance on the other side of the 'landing' site and stop video and/or movement. Then I try to keep my eyes glued to the spot I picked while I walk to where I think the plane went down and then continue to walk towards my distant point while looking around a lot.

It sounds pretty elementary, but actually doing it is not easy. Especially in high vegetation when you can't see the actual ground.
The vegetation is so high at that field, it reaches my knees.

Or just toss up a quad and take screenshots.
I thought of that, but remember what happened the last time I fly a quad over that field? :)

Mayan, you never cease to impress.
Thank you very much, and I hope I never will.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@mayan A very old trick for finding a crashed plane in a field of tall grass/crops/uneven surface is to attach a streamer of high visibility to the tail or on the underside if a drone. The plane will still crash through to the base of the crop but the streamer will be left at the entry point.

It has saved me many hours in looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack!

Just an old trick!

have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan A very old trick for finding a crashed plane in a field of tall grass/crops/uneven surface is to attach a streamer of high visibility to the tail or on the underside if a drone. The plane will still crash through to the base of the crop but the streamer will be left at the entry point.

It has saved me many hours in looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack!

Just an old trick!

have fun!
Great idea. Thanks. How do you recommend to attach them so that they don’t rip? Also can they be used with ground take offs? I think I saw in an FT video that yes, but rather make sure.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Great idea. Thanks. How do you recommend to attach them so that they don’t rip? Also can they be used with ground take offs? I think I saw in an FT video that yes, but rather make sure.
I normally use the same method as we use for combat streamers and that is using a length of fishing line ties to the tail wheel or to the fuselage rear, (so that the rudder is not fouled) and tied or taped to the streamer. You do not need a great length and the fishing line can be the depth of the vegetation. A recovery streamer can be as little as 1 metre long but it depends upon your ability to spot it from a distance.

They can be used for ground take off if the streamer is not paper but rather a piece of cloth ribbon. We hand launch our combat planes!

Have fun!