mayan

Legendary member
I am so excited that I going to fly today that I am actually quite nervous. Buzzbomb I know it’s not the usual me, but after some time with no chance to fly and the fact that last time I went I was looking for the plane for a very long time, it adds up.

EDIT: I hope that when I get to the field the stress will fade away and the fun and joy will kick me in the ass.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I am so excited that I going to fly today that I am actually quite nervous. Buzzbomb I know it’s not the usual me, but after some time with no chance to fly and the fact that last time I went I was looking for the plane for a very long time, it adds up.

EDIT: I hope that when I get to the field the stress will fade away and the fun and joy will kick me in the ass.
I stay nervous and flustered the entire time. It's so bad that my head shakes! No use stressing the fact your stressing. We can stress and have fun at the same time.

You have had a few mishaps lately. Losing a lot of stuff in the grass as well. So? You could slow down, fly a bright orange paper airplane and be bored as heck. Or you can keep pushing yourself to the limits of your skill, enjoy the heck out of life, and be willing to break or lose something. I think I know which route you are going to choose. :)

mayan

Legendary member
So? You could slow down, fly a bright orange paper airplane and be bored as heck. Or you can keep pushing yourself to the limits of your skill, enjoy the heck out of life, and be willing to break or lose something. I think I know which route you are going to choose. :)
image.jpg

You see that smile it’s going to stay the entire day!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It's a challenge! If flight conditions are poor, you'll definitely get respect for trying but your time will be lower than it should be. There is no time limit to complete the challenge. Wait for good flying weather. Most of our participants haven't even logged a first flight yet. It's OK. It's just for fun.

You want a dare? We had pretty heavy winds today. I couldn't fly anyway, I had personal business I had to attend to. IF I could have though, wow. The winds were crazy.

You want a dare? T.P. is ready to go! First available opportunity, regardless of wind (Rain is bad. Understood) we take our birds out. Holy Shoot, we get some crazy winds here. I have no idea what I'll be getting into.

The dare is down...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I should probably add (because we are us) do not needlessly destroy a plane, because the wind is stupid high. Let us let common sense prevail, take on the challenge to fly in difficult conditions and recognize when one simply should not attempt flight. ;)

mayan

Legendary member
I was quite nervous this morning before arriving to the field much because it’s been a while since I last flew something. With all that being said you don’t miss a chance to go to the field when the weather allows it, especially not after a shift trade off with the wife :). So I finished fixing up the house a bit, letting the sun warm up the field and left the house.

I got to the field and met the farmer who owns the place once again, I seem to be seeing him a lot lately. We had a quick chat and I started setting up. Once I was ready I did a quick crap check and was ready to chuck the TT in the air. As @kilroy07 said once I chucked the plane into the air the stress I was in disappeared. I flew two whole batteries on the TT and had very nice belly landings with no damage at all. That completely burried any fear that I might have had left in me.

I still had batteries for the Mini and Simple Scouts, so I wrapped up the TT and pulled them out of the car. I feared the wind will be too strong for me to be able to fly such a small airframe like the Mini Scout on a 3 channel setup. I wrote buzzbomb about it, hoping he’d be fast enough to either dare me too or talk me out of it but he wasn’t ;).
No! Don't do it. I'll write more, just trying to be fast.

What?! No you didn’t! You didn’t use your second maiden on the “FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge”!
I did! Hell yeah I did!
And you know what?! I don’t regret it :)!

Now all the stress is on my final maiden the 3rd and last try. Excited!!! I obviously stopped there and didn’t use my last try with these flying conditions. I hope that I won’t have to wait to long before I can give it my last try, but as of now the strong winds seem to be here to stay for a while.

Making up my mind about not flying the Mini Scout again I packed it up and brought out the father Scout, which is none other than the Simple Scout! I was earger to practice ground take offs and landings, and had two batteries ready for that matter, a 1300mah 3S and 1600mah 3S. I preped the plane and was ready to go, on my first take off the plane took off with a strong climb to the right. I flew around in a circle hoping to line it up with the dirt runway but lost the fight to the wind and "mini" crashed it into the field. The next few take offs were better, the plane took off at a steady leveled lift but I still couldn't get it lined up to the runway. I did manage to land it more leveled during these tries and also closer by my side and started feeling like I was getting there. That was until I had a bad take off and crashed the plane back into the runway at 100% throttle from about 1 metter in the air, and this happened.
IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

I obivously couldn't fly it any more and packed up to go do a few things that my wife asked. After doing a few things for the wife, I still had time to start repairing the damage before having to pick up the kids from school. I glued back the broken fuselage and created re-enforcement plates out of posterboard to give me extra regidity, that I will attach to the plane after my shift at work.
IMG_0051.JPG

Any how I was talking way to much, and while I was writing the post I managed to edit and upload the video of today's practice session so check it out :).

Arcfyre

Elite member
Bummer about the damage on the scout, but learning to land and take off with landing gear isn't easy. I think I went through 4 Storches before I got to the point where I am now.

I expect you'll go through a scout or two as well, but at some point it'll click and you'll find that your airframes last much longer.

mayan

Legendary member
@Arcfyre nothing to be bumped about it’s foam and it’s fixable :). The real bumper was that it cut my flying time short :(. I still had 2 batteries, one full one and one 2/3 full.
Any how I fixed the Simple Scout and it’s ready to fly again, to bad it started raining just now :(. That kinda screws my plan to go to the field again tomorrow morning. The rain shouldn’t have hit till 11am.
EB8A696C-8D8F-4544-93F8-73628C49658D.jpeg

94569F43-66E5-4B58-946E-0A838BDD388B.jpeg

A811023D-27E5-4F50-8E25-1470E1AC78FC.jpeg

D1C4098C-CD9D-4887-838C-6C54798EBDE7.jpeg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I was quite nervous this morning before arriving to the field much because it’s been a while since I last flew something. With all that being said you don’t miss a chance to go to the field when the weather allows it, especially not after a shift trade off with the wife :). So I finished fixing up the house a bit, letting the sun warm up the field and left the house.

I got to the field and met the farmer who owns the place once again, I seem to be seeing him a lot lately. We had a quick chat and I started setting up. Once I was ready I did a quick crap check and was ready to chuck the TT in the air. As @kilroy07 said once I chucked the plane into the air the stress I was in disappeared. I flew two whole batteries on the TT and had very nice belly landings with no damage at all. That completely burried any fear that I might have had left in me.

I still had batteries for the Mini and Simple Scouts, so I wrapped up the TT and pulled them out of the car. I feared the wind will be too strong for me to be able to fly such a small airframe like the Mini Scout on a 3 channel setup. I wrote buzzbomb about it, hoping he’d be fast enough to either dare me too or talk me out of it but he wasn’t ;).

What?! No you didn’t! You didn’t use your second maiden on the “FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge”!
I did! Hell yeah I did!
And you know what?! I don’t regret it :)!

Now all the stress is on my final maiden the 3rd and last try. Excited!!! I obviously stopped there and didn’t use my last try with these flying conditions. I hope that I won’t have to wait to long before I can give it my last try, but as of now the strong winds seem to be here to stay for a while.

Making up my mind about not flying the Mini Scout again I packed it up and brought out the father Scout, which is none other than the Simple Scout! I was earger to practice ground take offs and landings, and had two batteries ready for that matter, a 1300mah 3S and 1600mah 3S. I preped the plane and was ready to go, on my first take off the plane took off with a strong climb to the right. I flew around in a circle hoping to line it up with the dirt runway but lost the fight to the wind and "mini" crashed it into the field. The next few take offs were better, the plane took off at a steady leveled lift but I still couldn't get it lined up to the runway. I did manage to land it more leveled during these tries and also closer by my side and started feeling like I was getting there. That was until I had a bad take off and crashed the plane back into the runway at 100% throttle from about 1 metter in the air, and this happened.
View attachment 124022
View attachment 124023
View attachment 124024

I obivously couldn't fly it any more and packed up to go do a few things that my wife asked. After doing a few things for the wife, I still had time to start repairing the damage before having to pick up the kids from school. I glued back the broken fuselage and created re-enforcement plates out of posterboard to give me extra regidity, that I will attach to the plane after my shift at work.
View attachment 124025

Any how I was talking way to much, and while I was writing the post I managed to edit and upload the video of today's practice session so check it out :).
Son of a gun, mayan! What an awesome morning! The streamers worked brilliant, your landings with the Tiny Trainer were inspired, you did ground take-offs and attempted ground landings, the level of wind you were flying foamboard aircraft in was insane, and to top it all off you completely crushed your fear of failure by doing your second flight in the FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge in those kind of conditions. You overcame the thought of the damage to your planes, broke one nearly to pieces, said "Oh well" and then designed a fix for it. Can you possibly be more inspiring?

You are obviously inspired by your love of these little foamboard aircraft and the joy they give you. Your inspiration continues to inspire the rest of us. I cannot put into words how impressed I am.

I am off from work this Sunday. If it is not raining, I'm going to fly. T.P. is going back in the air, and whatever happens? No regrets.

Thank you.

mayan

Legendary member
Son of a gun, mayan! What an awesome morning! The streamers worked brilliant, your landings with the Tiny Trainer were inspired, you did ground take-offs and attempted ground landings, the level of wind you were flying foamboard aircraft in was insane, and to top it all off you completely crushed your fear of failure by doing your second flight in the FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge in those kind of conditions. You overcame the thought of the damage to your planes, broke one nearly to pieces, said "Oh well" and then designed a fix for it. Can you possibly be more inspiring?

You are obviously inspired by your love of these little foamboard aircraft and the joy they give you. Your inspiration continues to inspire the rest of us. I cannot put into words how impressed I am.

I am off from work this Sunday. If it is not raining, I'm going to fly. T.P. is going back in the air, and whatever happens? No regrets.

Thank you.
Thank you. It’s your little dares that drive me to push my limits in a good way of course :). Sunday should be our rain break day for this week so I might go flying as well. Probably not the Mini Scout because the winds are still very strong for that fun little airframe :).