mayan

Legendary member
They're father and son. It's a piggy-back ride! :p Holy cow! That's an FT episode in the making right there. Launch a Mini Scout from the back of a Simple Scout!
My dream is to fly them in formation with someone else.

Any how it’s super windy outside, so I can’t go flying, and have to find else to do.

I was visiting a new store that opened two days with my wife this morning. It’s a store that has many creative and house hold items for cheap. I found this for 3$ :eek:.
A2D2C2AB-5D93-4247-B88F-33D85489B3C1.jpeg

Are you thinking what I am thinking?

daxian

Elite member
hi mayan ....just watched your vid on the simple scout....do you have dual rates set on your transmitter ?
looks like you have too much control on the ailerons ...for my first flights i had the dual rates set to 40% travel on low rates and it was still very twitchy on ailerons !!! just a thought for your next flights !!

mayan

Legendary member
hi mayan ....just watched your vid on the simple scout....do you have dual rates set on your transmitter ?
looks like you have too much control on the ailerons ...for my first flights i had the dual rates set to 40% travel on low rates and it was still very twitchy on ailerons !!! just a thought for your next flights !!
Great catch no I don’t have any daul rates setup.

mayan

Legendary member
This is what I have so far.
13DCBEB7-3913-4BF3-A676-9F764DE0B132.jpeg

I just pulled out 2.5g servos from the broken Minu arrow I have put aside and planning to connect them to test the control surfaces. If that goes well I’ll hook the motor to the plane and then spread out the rest of the electronics to get the CG right.

mayan

Legendary member
4EF118ED-934D-4F6B-A97D-20C2E395786D.jpeg

And after testing the electronics spread it balances out right on where the original CG was :). All that I need to do is secure the ESC hatch, and cut a slot for the receiver. I sort of doubt my ability to fly it because of the tiny airframe along side the thin wing area. Any thoughts?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
View attachment 124146

And after testing the electronics spread it balances out right on where the original CG was :). All that I need to do is secure the ESC hatch, and cut a slot for the receiver. I sort of doubt my ability to fly it because of the tiny airframe along side the thin wing area. Any thoughts?
Just a couple of things to consider!

The motor is HUGE and very heavy!

The wing has no real dihedral so if using a powerful motor it will always just roll and crash at each launch.

The wing can be reinforced or stiffened by obtaining some thin CF strips and cutting a spanwise slit in the wings, fill the slot with glue, and force the CF strip into the slit. When dry the wing will be far more rigid. The slit is normally recommended to be close to or exactly on the balance point.

Whilst you have fitted a rudder the use of elevator and ailerons alone would give better control and greater chance of achieving stable flight.

Both servos, (aileron and elevator) could be mounted in the enclosed area or cockpit and thin wire pushrods used to operate the control surfaces.

I have 2 of the cheap foamies to mod but mine have 1200mm wingspan and have a polyhedral wing!

Good luck with the mods, I hope this helps on things to watch out for!

Have fun!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Man, that looks CRAZY! Bet you had the servos aft to balance that motor up front.

Good thing you have the orange one too, I like to "have a spare" when I try something crazy like this...
You can use what you learn from this one and make the orange one really nice!

Good luck!

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks for the tips and support hoping to overcome the roll effect that the motor might have. Taking @Hai-Lee’s advice I might change the turn control to a bank and yank by adding the ailerons and removing the rudder control. Thanks.

mayan

Legendary member
Good thing you have the orange one too, I like to "have a spare" when I try something crazy like this...
You can use what you learn from this one and make the orange one really nice!

Good luck!
That was the thought behind buying two. However I just broke two 2.5g servos while doing some tests. The plane didn’t seem to roll but did take a turn to the right. Hmmmm wondering how to fix that. Also have to take hai-lee’s advice about the ailerons hands down will make controlling the plane easier.

mayan

Legendary member
Yesterday exactly 6 months ago I started this thread not knowing a thing about RC planes. And Today? Well today I am addicted! Looking back at the what I have been through during these 6 months made me proud. Proud of what I have learned, built, flew, crashed, and repaired. There is so much that I have learned during this time that I just can't share all that with you, so I'll give you just a few tips.
1) Build, fly, crash, repeat! The more you do this the better you will get at everything.
2) Ask. If you are not sure about something post your question on the forum someone will point you in the right direction.
3) Read. Read threads that have been posted by others, even the welcome threads; there is information every where on the forum.
4) Dare. Dare to try things on your own, that will build your confidence.
5) Share. Share your failures and successes, because we are all here for one another.

Looking back at the past also made think of the future. Asking myself where I want to be in the hobby in 6 months from now. So here is a short list of what I want to achieve in the next 6 months.
1) Learn to take off and land from/on the ground.
2) Learn to fly elevon based models like the Mini Arrow, Versa Wing, FT Alpha/Bravo/Charlie, Mini Sparow and others.
3) Fly at least one twin engine model, with differencial thrust.
4) Expreince slope soaring.
5) Teach my children to fly RC planes, so that we can fly together.
6) Build at least 2 more FT models.

If any of you have more recommendations for things I should try to achieve please do let me know. Thank you!

P.S. Special thanks to @Hai-Lee, @Arcfyre, @d8veh, @buzzbomb, @rockyboy, @cranialrectosis, @PoorManRC, @Paracodespoder, @FDS and the many others that have supported my journey thus far with usefull tips and advice.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Yesterday exactly 6 months ago I started this thread not knowing a thing about RC planes. And Today? Well today I am addicted! Looking back at the what I have been through during these 6 months made me proud. Proud of what I have learned, built, flew, crashed, and repaired. There is so much that I have learned during this time that I just can't share all that with you, so I'll give you just a few tips.
1) Build, fly, crash, repeat! The more you do this the better you will get at everything.
2) Ask. If you are not sure about something post your question on the forum someone will point you in the right direction.
3) Read. Read threads that have been posted by others, even the welcome threads; there is information every where on the forum.
4) Dare. Dare to try things on your own, that will build your confidence.
5) Share. Share your failures and successes, because we are all here for one another.

Looking back at the past also made think of the future. Asking myself where I want to be in the hobby in 6 months from now. So here is a short list of what I want to achieve in the next 6 months.
1) Learn to take off and land from/on the ground.
2) Learn to fly elevon based models like the Mini Arrow, Versa Wing, FT Alpha/Bravo/Charlie, Mini Sparow and others.
3) Fly at least one twin engine model, with differencial thrust.
4) Expreince slope soaring.
5) Teach my children to fly RC planes, so that we can fly together.
6) Build at least 2 more FT models.

If any of you have more recommendations for things I should try to achieve please do let me know. Thank you!

P.S. Special thanks to @Hai-Lee, @Arcfyre, @d8veh, @buzzbomb, @rockyboy, @cranialrectosis, @PoorManRC, @Paracodespoder, @FDS and the many others that have supported my journey thus far with usefull tips and advice.
You are doing quite well!

I do suggest that you start a new thread, "Part 2 of my RC journey" or whatever you think would be suitable".

As for ground take offs and landings they can be simple if you follow a few really 'common sense" rules that are rarely discussed with newbies or they do not understand at the time.

Read the bottom section of the attached document and some of the issues you may face will be clearer to you!

Have fun!

Attachments

• Test or first flight.pdf
    71.2 KB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Happy six-month Anniversary, mayan! You've certainly come a long way in a relatively short time span. Ironically, on the way to work today I was wondering if you ever looked at your early flight videos and compared them to where you are now. The difference is amazing.

Believe it or nor, I've still only had four flights and one Loop-and-Crash. Videos two and three aren't really watchable, since there is no plane in the picture, but I watch one, four and five quite often.

Cheers, and continued joy and growth as the future unfolds!

mayan

Legendary member
My last flying session on the 20-01-2019 flying the SpiTTT with 2 sets of wings. The original TT Sports wing and the SpiTTT wing sets.

@buzzbomb there is a secert message for you in the video, guess you'll have to find it... I haven't had the time to edit the video of me maidening the new Mini Arrow so mean while I want to host a poll.

What was the outcome of the new Mini Arrow maiden?
1) Came home in one piece
2) Minor damage, easily repairable
3) Broke completly unrepairable

View attachment 122587 View attachment 122588
View attachment 122589

Me realizing I didnt paint the ailerons underside in red:eek::unsure:
View attachment 122590

I built my FT Edge 540 a buddy, an FT Mini Edge 540 (60% scale down). Taking it out for maiden tomorrow.
IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

I am using an F pack motor and debating what prop to use. 6x4 or 7x5? i am using a 3S battery either a 800mah or 1000mah and can even take it up to a 1300mah. Anything more than that will make balancing the plane hard.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Good morning everybody. Let me clarify this mornings post.
This morning I went flying after some time in which I didn't get a chance to because of the rainy weather. What was I flying? Well I wanted to fly the FT Edge 540 and the Mini FT Edge 540 (60% scale version custom built). The plan was to start the day with the full scaled version of the FT Edge 540 but instead I decided to go with the scaled down version first. I was just to earger to check if it will fly or not and couldn't wait any more, and to be honest that was one good decission that I took. Why? Because the field was darn wet and every crash/landing into the field made the plane wet too, not something that is good when your FB is not water resistant.

The first attempt to maiden it didn't go well. After the launch it dived straight into the ground. At first I thought that the plane might have been nose heavy, but just before I wanted to toss again into the air it hit me. Maybe it's not a nose heavy issue so much as an underpower issue. Maybe like I thought the prop wasn't creating enough thrust to be able to keep the plane in the air. I stopped and went to change a prop from a 6x4.5 to a 7x5, and gave it another try. This time I could feel that the plane had more power, on both prop tests I was using a 3S 800mah battery.

I tossed the plane into the air once more and gave it another try. This time the plane had more thrust to stay air born, but I was still not happy with the results. The plane didn't fly far before it crashed again into the ground, this time though it was my fault I wasn't able to level it fast enough. Well I never did know how hard it was to fly when it was super cold outside, and I guess it was time to find out being a hobby addict :).
I warmed up my fingers, took a deap breath, and gave it another try, this thrid try was successful! The plane went up nice and level, I was able to quite quickly figure out at what throttle level I was comfortable and was right for me to fly with, and sticked to it. I did some nice fly bys, a few rolls and nearly cut off my head too. That by the way was my last successful try, the other two didn't go well and brought the plane to this status.

IMG_0107.JPG

This is the video filmed from my GoPro:

And this is the one that my wife filmed from my iPhone:

I still have to check why the motor is not working when I get back from work, and really do hope it's just a cable that got disconnected and not something else... Any how no matter if I am able to repair the damage or not I am defenatly am building a new one for more practice and a better finish. I will try to document this build because I do want to make some minor changes to the original plans to make things work better. I might also decide to make the final version a 75% scale of the original plan instead of 60% which was prefect scale to make the build out of 3mm FB but not so good for battery options.
A4D249A2-6EC0-4A0B-A770-CD34C2BEB2A3.jpeg

P.S. The plane with the electronics excluding the battery was wieghing 341g.
IMG_0094.JPG