mayan

Legendary member
Your flying field is turning into a jungle! Holy Cow! All three videos you just fell out of the sky at the end. End or battery or loss of signal?
I think it was lost of oritentation, because I can't prove LOS like I did on the very first TT video.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
He uploaded it already go back to page 40 :).
I just went to where I left off and started posting. It was only three days! My gosh, I've still got more to catch up on. You are a machine! :)

Check out the inverted challenge I recently posted. Whatever plane. Whatever skill level. Just get out and fly upside down. Yeesss, I got stupid and posted another challenge. @Hai-Lee accepted the administration of that Challenge. Honestly, he owned it before it started, so he's perfect to judge the rest of us.

Why does that matter, and why am posting that here? You want to fly 3d. Can't do that if you can't fly inverted! :D

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I think it was lost of oritentation, because I can't prove LOS like I did on the very first TT video.
The earlier crashes were all at distance, involved a slow roll and then crash!

Having lost so many models to LOS before I went to the newer radio I know the symptoms! Ask yourself have any of the models slowly rolled over and crashed when close to you? I have been watching your videos and cannot find a single example of a plane actually flying back towards you and then rolling over and crashing!

The reasoning I use is that if it never happens close to you, (where being disoriented can happen easier and far more often due to the rapid change in visual perspective), what is the real difference? Distance from you and your transmitter!

As I said before, "Been there and done that"!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Mayan you continue to inspire, and I sincerely thank you for that.
I am really happy that I keep inspiring you, and others. Hearing that makes me want continue doing what I am doing.

Check out the inverted challenge I recently posted. Whatever plane. Whatever skill level. Just get out and fly upside down. Yeesss, I got stupid and posted another challenge. @Hai-Lee accepted the administration of that Challenge. Honestly, he owned it before it started, so he's perfect to judge the rest of us.
I promise to check it out and post a submit to the challenage, but want to give it another go with a new TT because that’s a plane I feel comfortable going inverted with atm. I’d love to do it with the mini edge too but since I have no deflection rates and expos setup I still don’t feel comfortable with it. I have two options to achieve inverted with the mini edge one get a new Tx that I can program expos into, the other is keep practicing the way it is untill I feel comfortable with it. One way or the other I'll get there eventually :).

@Hai-Lee I have to trust your feelings and is also why I am looking into a new Tx, the FlySky iA6 @2 is the current best candidated, but still want to check out the reviews of a few other models too before I make a purchase.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I am looking into a new Tx, the FlySky iA6 @2 is the current best candidated
I started out with the FlySky i6x transmitter. Don’t think I ever had a LOS issue with it even using the super cheap FS-GR3E receiver (I usually run the ia6b.)

If you can afford it I’d go with the i6x rather than the earlier model as it’s ten channel out of the box (no need to flash the firmware) and it has a redesigned motherboard with better a better processor.

As I’m sure you might be aware, AliExpress is about to have a big anniversary sale.
;-)

mayan

Legendary member
If you can afford it I’d go with the i6x rather than the earlier model as it’s ten channel out of the box (no need to flash the firmware) and it has a redesigned motherboard with better a better processor.
I’ll look at it :).

As I’m sure you might be aware, AliExpress is about to have a big anniversary sale.
Lol! Of course I know! That’s why I am looking into it. Probably choose one today. Then I’ll just have to convince the wife to allow me to get it.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm working on learning OpenTX, so I'll be home all day. If you want I can call and help. Just send me a text and let me know. :)

If you get stuck with OpenTX I've got a thread over here with lots of sample files and am happy to give you a hand. There are lots of good youtube resources, but sometimes it's easier to ask someone a question rather than read / watch dozens of things searching for an answer :D

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...anis-setups-for-planes-quads-and-other.33379/

kilroy07

Legendary member
@kilroy07 mind sharing some pros and cons about the FlySky i6x Tx and these Rxs FS-GR3E/ia6b?
Sure, the gr3e are “really” for land/water craft... but I’ve found them for about $5 each. They are 3 channel, so I’ve used them in small/light, simple builds (minis, $10 foam glider etc).
I recommend the ia6b for most your builds.
It’s 6 channel, the more advanced frequency hopping tech, two antenna. Just all around a better bit of gear.
They typically run around $12-15 each (usd).

I have seen the 10 channel for nearly the same price (but you had to order 10 of them)

kilroy07

Legendary member
How about storing airframe settings? Can it do that?
That’s on the transmitter side. Both versions can store lots of planes. That’s why you might notice tail numbers on my planes. I have two transmitters one for even, one for odd. That way I can fly with someone.
The i6x has three mixes so you can do differential thrust (but that uses all three)
And I’ve flown wings, v tail, just about everything you could want starting out.

If I recall it’s what @Hai-Lee flys with as well.

Here’s a video which was the reason I recommend the i6x over the i6b.

mayan

Legendary member
A family member of my wife came to visit and her son ~8 yrs old has recently showed interest in planes and is playing around with the paper power up planes. So I got all my batteries charged and tomorrow I’ll try hitting the field after a few chores and plan to take him with me so he can see some flying. I plan to give him the pieces for a TT glider so he can build it with his mom.

If all goes well I’ll also try getting some videos done to compete in the few challenges that I am taking part in.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/fly-it-inverted-the-challenge.57949/

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...id-with-the-tiny-trainer-the-challenge.57560/

Tomorrow I plan to fly the TT, SpiTTT and Mini Edge.

Haven’t forgotten that I still owe you more videos of the Mini Might Mini TT and the details of the airframe, haven’t gotten around to editing the videos yet.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
A family member of my wife came to visit and her son ~8 yrs old has recently showed interest in planes and is playing around with the paper power up planes. So I got all my batteries charged and tomorrow I’ll try hitting the field after a few chores and plan to take him with me so he can see some flying. I plan to give him the pieces for a TT glider so he can build it with his mom.

If all goes well I’ll also try getting some videos done to compete in the few challenges that I am taking part in.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/fly-it-inverted-the-challenge.57949/

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...id-with-the-tiny-trainer-the-challenge.57560/

Tomorrow I plan to fly the TT, SpiTTT and Mini Edge.

Haven’t forgotten that I still owe you more videos of the Mini Might Mini TT and the details of the airframe, haven’t gotten around to editing the videos yet.

You could also reserve the current radio system and pass it on to him for him to learn upon.
In addition you could even make him a Mini Scout, (later and as a prize if he sticks with the RC flying).

Looking forward to the videos!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
I might give it to him, though kinda prefer leaving it for my children to be able to fly with me. And no I haven’t bought another yet it’s on my cart though.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
If you get stuck with OpenTX I've got a thread over here with lots of sample files and am happy to give you a hand. There are lots of good youtube resources, but sometimes it's easier to ask someone a question rather than read / watch dozens of things searching for an answer :D

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...anis-setups-for-planes-quads-and-other.33379/
Thank you! I'm winding down for the evening, and I won't hit it tonight. It's such a powerful system! It seems to me you can literally do anything you want with it! learning how do it is not easy. I've learned it is doable though. I've got two flyable planes with receivers bound and CRAP checks work. I don't really run rates and expo and mixing and all that. I just skipped all those screens so I can get my birds in the air.

My gosh, though. The things that transmitter can do with the OpenTX. It's been a very eye opening experience. As my skills grow and I desire more control and functionality, it's already there, just waiting for me. I've just got learn how to do it.

I believe that going with a trans with OpenTX was the absolute right choice. Anything I want it to do, it is capable of. I've just got to research how to do it. What is even more amazing is that I'm learning about things I didn't even know I wanted to do! I can set outputs and inputs and mixes to do flaperons, and then adjust how much the darn servos move, to a specific percentage, and then adjust the rudder and elevator to move all at the same time!

I can move the right stick just a little to the right, and every control surface the plane has will move just the amount I've programmed in. That's Nuts! I'm still a long way from being there. But over three nights of fighting with the darn thing, I've got two receivers bound at 100% everything, and I'll soon be flying again. Shoot. 100% is how I fly anyway! :)

mayan

Legendary member
I am really debating about the Tx. @Arcfyre recommended the Jumper T12, @kilroy07 FkySky i6x and @Hai-Lee the FlySky iA6 A2 and I myself originally thought of the RadioLink AT9S. I am really lost here...

On one note I’d rather buy something that wouldn’t make me want to change a Tx later on the other the price range compared to the FlySky radios are expensive.

Like I said I am lost...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I am really debating about the Tx. @Arcfyre recommended the Jumper T12, @kilroy07 FkySky i6x and @Hai-Lee the FlySky iA6 A2 and I myself originally thought of the RadioLink AT9S. I am really lost here...

On one note I’d rather buy something that wouldn’t make me want to change a Tx later on the other the price range compared to the FlySky radios are expensive.

Like I said I am lost...
Yep. I've been there. I've got threads about it. It's really tough to pick a "real" transmitter." Maybe even harder than it was to pick a first transmitter. You want more channels than you'll need, good, inexpensive, lightweight receivers, more functionality on a trans with lots and lots of switches, that you program to do your will, once your skills grow and you need them.

You'll want telemetry. If you're going to spend real money on a transmitter, it darn well should be able to show you the battery voltage in your plane. To do that, it takes inexpensive receivers that have telemetry and the channels you need to fly the plane. Tx matched to relatively inexpensive Rx with telemetry.

It doesn't end there. The things OpenTX is capable of are just mind blowing. I'll be years and years learning i'ts full functionality. But I've got a transmitter that works on that system, and I will grow into it over time. It's not going anywhere. It'll do everything I need to do now and in the future and then some. The Turnigy is only pertinent for me, because I want to get a third bird in the air. Otherwise? It'd stay home on my next outing.

Last edited: