buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Indeed, Good Luck tomorrow! Great vids and thank you. If no one has said so, your english is excellent and your accent is barely noticable. You enunciate better than many of countryman.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
mAh =mili-Amp-hour.
I'm not busting, I thought the same thing. Then I googled it. It's actually "milliampere-hours." In America we usually just say milliamp. Which is ironic because a 1000 mAh battery is actually a 1 Ah battery. A 2400 mAh battery would be a 2.4 Ah. I guess it's just simpler to refer to all of that as milliamps. Ah, the vagaries of the English Language.

mayan

Legendary member
I went out to the field today, took 3 planes with me like I planned. The recycled foam board TT, the Simple Soarer and the Versa Wing. I spent more than 3 hours at the field. It was loads of dirty fun, check out my practice session and you'll understand what I am talking about. I do apologize in advance for the length of the video, and all my talking in it, but I do hope that you watch it through and enjoy it as if you were with me at the field.

d8veh

Elite member
I think the motor is spinning in the wrong direction on the Versa. If it is, you have to swap over two of the three wires.

d8veh

Elite member
I looked again at your flying. I have a couple of comments that might help. Firstly, if the plane flies straight and level with your hands off, and climbs violently at high throttle, you need to increase the downthrust, which means adding a couple of washers between the motor and whatever is behind it. Only put washers behind the upper two fixings. It could also be that the plane is trimmed badly, and it just needs a few clicks of down elevator on the trim switch. I'm assuming that you got the balance point right. If you didn’t, you need to start with that first.

Secondly, I think you,re not controlling the plane right. If you look at an experienced pilot's stick movement in real time compared with the model movement, you'll see that most of the time, the sticks are pushed in the opposite direction to where he/she wants the plane to go. Let me explain: When you want to turn a properly trimmed 4-channel plane to the right, you nudge the stick to the right and a little bit of up to initiate the turn, then immediadely a bigger push to the left, first to stop it from tilting further, then to straighten it back to level flight, then a small nudge to the right to stop it from going past level. If you don't do the counter-movements, you will always over-control the plane, so it ends up going up and down and side to side all the time, and you will never feel that you have control of the plane. You could see that whenever your plane went down, it would pull back up, then stall out of control. You shouldn't let it get that far. Instead, you should already be increasing the down elevator to stop it from climbing back up. The down elevator should start before the plane starts to climb up because you know it's going to do it, so don't let it start.

There's a video somewhere of Josh Bixler showing someone (other Josh) how to fly, where he shows the sticks on his transmitter. He says that he's pushing the stick to the right to initiate the turn, but the video shows the stick pushed to the left most of the time. Here it is. Start at about 3:30. Watch the plane and watch the stick. It almost looks like his servo is reversed, but what I wrote above explains what's happing. Most experienced piots don't even know that they're doing it. Just to repeat, a little push one way, then immediately a biger push the other way to counter it to get back to level again. Look at 8:20 where the plane's flying a left circle, while JB more or less only pushes the stick to the right.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
When you just can't get enough and feel like you want more. A practice session that I pushed in between chores on my busy day yesterday.
@d8veh I tried to take your comments in mind without much success but still, trying is what counts :). Looking for your feedbacks.

d8veh

Elite member
I think you're making good progress even though you had some crashes. The only thing I'd say about your flying is that you should reduce the throttle as soon as you have some height. That will stop you from being in panic control mode. Everything will slow down so you have time to think about what you're doing. Also, all the plane's movements will be less violent so less chance of something like the battery detatching in flight. You have all the right ideas now. All you need is a bit of practice. Once you get a plane that's properly trimmed, you'l be able to relax and enjoy your flying.

Are you able to buy all the stuff you need OK in Israel?

mayan

Legendary member
Are you able to buy all the stuff you need OK in Israel?
Not really. Electronics gets sold here for double if not triple price, which makes me think twice if I really need a spare part or not. I plan on ordering my electronics tomorrow from sellers in AliExpress since it’s the Chinese singles day tomorrow and they have even bigger sales on the low prices that they already have. Hope that will give me the guts to push my limits a bit. I also wanted to ask, how do you make your hot glue gun work in the field? I’ve seen on some of the FF FT videos that they hook up a battery to make it work on the field. Any ideas how it’s done?

Arcfyre

Elite member
Are you using a larger prop on this one than before? The only reason I can think of for a death spiral like that is that the prop is too big and overpowering the airframe.

mayan

Legendary member
Are you using a larger prop on this one than before? The only reason I can think of for a death spiral like that is that the prop is too big and overpowering the airframe.
Nope same prop as before 6x4. The death spiral seemed to be lost of connection, at least thats what I think.

mayan

Legendary member
Yeppy yeahya! I order a bunch of electronics today.
IMG-3148.PNG IMG-3149.PNG IMG-3150.PNG IMG-3151.PNG IMG-3152.jpg
Now begins the waiting time. Any one know where I can buy patience? :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

mayan

Legendary member
Oh boy what a night shift :).... No one called in to complain about anything for more than 5 hour straight. Had so much time to fix the TT and prepare it for fight 4 channels. How? If I had no servos well I mixed up a few broken servos and managed to get two to work :). I also had time to try and finish a mini arrow build that I started and put aside after I made a huge mistake on the build ;(.

Regardless we spent about an hour and a half tossing back and forth a 50% scale version of the TT which we built a while back and never managed to get airborn as a 3 channel RC plane. All while having a bonding conversation.