HobbyKing® ™ MX2 3D EPP 955mm ARF

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
There are some pretty amazing people in the world.
And doing the podcast has connected me with some many.
One gentleman named Scott from Australia decided I needed a challenge.

I needed to fly 3D. This stemmed from the fact back in the fall of 2015 we were having access issue to where I normally fly and was more less hunting for other ways to enjoy a flight.

Well Scott contacted me and before I could say Kangaroo mailed off a spare MX2 3D plane he happen have.

HobbyKing® ™ MX2 3D EPP 955mm ARF

He peppered me with a tone of videos

The MX2 arrived in October (2015) and really it was too late to fly it.
Plus there were some very detailed instructions on how to build the MX2 into a tougher beast.
IMG_6289.JPG IMG_6290.JPG IMG_6306.JPG

Scott laid out how I needed to purchase some carbon fibre strips which were to be lined over the planes fuselage, canopy, wings, plus the vertical and horizontal stabilizers.

I hunted around for local and North American options but in the end strips from HK were still cheapest but shipping was painful but still cheaper then all other options I'd found.

IMG_6533.JPG

I purchases 3 variates.
The 1mm x 3mm strips. To be used on the wings.
The 0.5mm x 3mm strips. To be used on the trailing edges and tail sections.
The 1mm x 6mm used on the belly and rear of the canopy.

Carbon Strip 1x3x750mm (5pcs/set)
Carbon Strip 0.5x3x750mm (5pcs/set)
Carbon Strip 1x6x750mm (5pcs/set)

Recently I began the build process.
Really not a hard plane to construct but I took my time figure out where/how to place the strips.
I used CA, Foam-Tac and of course hot glue to fasten the control surfaces as well the carbon fibre strips.

IMG_8724.JPG IMG_8725.JPG IMG_8726.JPG IMG_8727.JPG IMG_8728.JPG IMG_8731.JPG IMG_8733.JPG IMG_8737.JPG IMG_8739.JPG

I also extended the landing gear and created a extra piece of bracing.
This helped push the rake forward on the gear as well.
Thicker wire would have been nice but I used what I had on hand.

Features: (From HobbyKing)
• Tough EPP material, light-weight and crash resistant
• Stiff EPP/Depron composite control surfaces
• Revolutionary design adds to the structural integrity and the rigidity of the airframe
• Light-weight provides optimal wing loading
• Outstanding aerobatic performance and 3D manoeuvrability.
• Simple design allows for easy equipment access and installation
• The stand out color scheme great for orientation

Specs: (From HobbyKing)
Wingspan: 955mm
Length: 945mm
Wing Area: 15.2dm2
Weight: 550g (without battery)

Requires: (From HobbyKing)
4 channel radio system
2217 950-1100KV Brushless outrunner
30Amp ESC
3S 11.1V 1100-1300MAH Li-Po
10x4.7/11x4.7 propeller
4 x 9g servos

My Gear:
OrangeRx R615X DSM2/DSMX Compatible 6Ch 2.4GHz Receiver w/CPPM
D2830-11 1000kv Brushless Motor
H-KING 35A Fixed Wing Brushless Speed Control
Turnigy nano-tech 1300mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pack
10x4.5 SF Props Black CW (2pc) CCW (2pc)
Turnigy TGY-50090M Metal Gear 9g Analog Servo

Stay tuned as I finish the build off and jump back into 3D flying.
Between the MX2 and the Phat Hawk by Jason Uberig I hope the Spring flying is a lot of fun.
Specially since I can walk over to the local park and just toss the planes in the air.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Nice, looks like a good first 3d plane, certainly better than starting with a balsa build up like I did. It hurts a LOT less when you crash. :p

I'll do some 3D with you at FTFF16 if you're game.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Looks great, Andre. I'm interested to see your 'return to 3D'. I'm flying a Nitroplanes Sbach 342 800mm profile at the moment. That's my first 3D plane and its a lot of fun. Hovers and harriers nicely. I have to work on some combos... I gotta get that Rolling harrier down and I keep getting some really windy days so its hard to get a nice inverted flatspin. It does knife edge loops like crazy. So much fun, though. Last time out I was working on knife edge circles.

Akimbo, you got any video of your 3D we can see? I'll get some of mine next time I'm out.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Flew it

Video was silly since it was windy and I never got the plane close enough but Sunday morning the MX2 took to the sky.

I need some more nose weight but it hovers :)

20150316_125216-yc.MOV.jpg IMG_8813.JPG IMG_8821.JPG

jack10525

Hello Andre,

I realize this post is a little old but I was wondering if you are still flying this plane. I just got one. I'm using FT large power pack C. I know the motor spec is a little under what is recommended but its what I have on hand. I just wanted a fun little flyer. I've built a few FT3D's so this should be similar. Can you show how you set up your electronics and where you CG is?

Nash

I also have this plane

Hello Andre,

I realize this post is a little old but I was wondering if you are still flying this plane. I just got one. I'm using FT large power pack C. I know the motor spec is a little under what is recommended but its what I have on hand. I just wanted a fun little flyer. I've built a few FT3D's so this should be similar. Can you show how you set up your electronics and where you CG is?

Hey Jack, did you get some answers?
I also have this plane, built it about a year ago, took me a while to actually maiden it but it's my favorite plane that I own ATM.
I put a 28-26 1100kv motor (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/ntm-prop-drive-series-28-26-1100kv-252w-short-shaft-version.html) in it with a 10x5 prop and it flies fine, hovers but doesn't hold very nicely, but looking at this post I will be ordering a new motor something similar to what Andre is using (2830).
Feel free to msg back I can share some pics.

Last edited:

jack10525

Not really, but I did fly it a few times. Not the easiest plane to fly. Hard to get CG right and I think I may need a more powerful motor. It doesn't seem to hold straight and wants to wander. Flight input seems a little delayed. I'm in the process of rebuilding and strengthening it. Didn't realize it would be so fragile.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Sorry just seeing all of this. Yeah I hammered this plane pretty hard.
Retired from the fleet.