Hobbyking 2 axis gimbal set up help!

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Goooooooodafternooooooooon everybody!

I bought a HK Deadcat pro kit with gimbal and controller, but never got the cat to fly well with the weird arm angles and design.

So the deadcat is sitting in the shed waiting for a burt of enthusiasim to work on but in the mean time, I pulled of the gimbal and I have a Parkzone corsair I want to put it on with my Hawkeye Firefly Q6.

I have spent weeks ttrying to muddle through on my own, but I reckon you fellas should be able to help me!

It is a 8 bit alexmos controller, and a simple 2 axis gimbal.

So what I want to know is:

What programs, drives etc. I need to setup (Windows 10 PC)

How to calibrate and set up in the program

And if it will work up side down... (It hangs from the belly)

Thank you all!

Abe

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hi Abe. Alexmos boards run SimpleBGC firmwares. You can get the downloads for an 8 bit board here. I do not know what drivers are required, but you should get them to download automatically. I doubt your gimbal controller is an official Alexmos board, and I can not find its design anywhere, but it should work if you download the firmware for clones.

Another thing to note is that your gimbal is made for a mobius. The Firefly Q6 is a similar form, but probably not exactly the same so you will have to balance the gimbal on both axes first using coins or something.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Thanks Snarls!

One problem I am having is getting it to connect. I have got the 2.40b7 as that is the firmware version on my board, but do you know anything about COM ports? From the drop down list there is COM1 which is being used for running the PC screen or something, but no other options how up when I plug it in and run the program.

The Q6 weighs 40g, about the same as the Mobius but yes I can balance it with lead or something, but it seems to self level with the camera in the tray even with out it plugged in and powered on.

Abe

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Check out this driver that should work with the board. It is also possible there is no firmware on the board, even if hobbyking claims there is. I bought a board from banggood that claimed to come with a certain firmware. I thought it was dead (no LEDs), but it turned out the firmware what just not flashed.

If you still can't get things to work you can get a new controller like you say. The two main types are Alexmos (SimpleBGC) as you have, and Storm32. Genuine Alexmos boards are expensive, but you can get clones for cheap like the one you linked. Storm32 is open source so all boards are cheap from China. Just a warning that both controllers in my experience are finicky when it comes to getting them flashed and playing with settings. There are PIDs like a copter that need tuning (although SimpleBGC has autotune) as well as lots of settings that can cause problems that are annoying/hard to find. But it shouldnt be too hard to get a simple gimbal working.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Thanks again Mate!

When i plug it in there are random lights going of on the board, (green red and blue)

I am going out to do a AP job now but I will look into Storm32 and Alexmos more!

Abe