HobbyKing frustrations...

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I've got to rant a little, and I figure voicing this here will let people know that "cheap" does not mean "good".

I placed an order on March 2nd with Hobbyking for some lighting systems, so I can make a night flying Bushwhacker. I ordered 4 sets of the LED lights, because they had them on sale for $1.34/set, vs. their normal price of $9.50.

Turns out that, when I placed the order, it was coming out of the US warehouse, which, apparently, ran out just before I placed my order, and didn't inform me that my items were on back order. It's been nearly 3 weeks, and the order is still processing, meaning that it hasn't shipped, and it hasn't been marked as Back Ordered on my order (which apparently they can't do, because the items are marked as In Stock in another warehouse). I have to wait until the items are in stock again in the US warehouse before they'll ship them out, which could be 30 days from now.

Had I known this, when I originally placed the order, I would have ordered from the Global warehouse and paid $5 more in shipping - and I would have had the items by now!

The guy on the chat transcript tried to tell me that they weren't in stock at all, and I grabbed a screen capture from their page showing the items were in stock. He then said, "Well, yes, but that's in the Global warehouse, not the US warehouse."

Apparently, they cannot have the items shipped from another warehouse, even if it's been 3 weeks...Nor, apparently, do they have any idea of shipments coming from their Global warehouse to their US warehouse.

So, be forewarned - 1) pay attention to where you're ordering your items from with Hobbyking, and 2) cheaper is not always better.

Bricks

Master member
I find I do not buy any thing from HobbyKing any more there shipping has gotten ridiculous unless they are having a super special and can justify the shipping cost.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I find I do not buy any thing from HobbyKing any more there shipping has gotten ridiculous unless they are having a super special and can justify the shipping cost.

Same here - every other distributor in China that I use has free shipping - you pay for it in wait time ;) With HK, you get the wait time plus a $20 charge. The US warehouse is even more expensive, with the added bonus of a FedEx bill 2 weeks after delivery for about half the total original bill. No thanks.

sprzout

Mentor
So...

I placed my order on 3/2, according to the HobbyKing website.

Today is now 4/4, and my order STILL says "Processing".

I contacted their "live chat", and I was told, "Well, the item is back ordered."

I showed them their site that shows the item is in stock - but it shows "Global", not the USA warehouse. I informed them that it showed as in stock, and if that determined when the US warehouse would get their stock. The guy couldn't tell me, he just said, "It's not in stock in the US warehouse."

For all I know, they could tell me that they're not going to get it in stock and that I'm out $13.43. I've asked them how long before they expect the US warehouse to get stock, and they said, "Well, normally it's 30 days, but that's no guarantee." I realize that; however, it's been more than 30 days; surely, by now, there would have been a shipment from Hong Kong TO the United States warehouse for parts, and some of this would have shown up here, right?

I'm still waiting. If they can't give me an update by 4/13, I'm going to just tell them to refund my money. I'm done; I'll find some other way to get my parts that doesn't involve Hobbyking. I just want people to know that this whole thing feels more shady than a dark alley, under a new moon, at midnight.

jpot1

Elite member
Well I guess I have nothing to complain about. Ordered from US warehouse on 3/30. All items in stock but still processing as of today. Did the live chat and was told they are backed up but my order is in packaging and will be shipped any day now. We shall see. Prior dozen orders, no issues at all so I’ll give it a few more days to see what happens.

learfxr

I placed 2 orders for small parts and accessories. Both orders are 2 weeks old and still show processing.

I won't use them again after this

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well I think this will be an interesting precursor for things to come. Our Umpa Lumpa in chief has poked a trade stick at China and recent retaliations have been imposed. I would seriously think about canceling these orders or at the very least keep track of charges as there from all accounts in the media is a trade war starting. Probably why all the shipments in the US are held up and had nothing to do with back orders would be my best guess. Expect higher import charges or new tariffs on Chinese products.

sprzout

Mentor
Well I think this will be an interesting precursor for things to come. Our Umpa Lumpa in chief has poked a trade stick at China and recent retaliations have been imposed. I would seriously think about canceling these orders or at the very least keep track of charges as there from all accounts in the media is a trade war starting. Probably why all the shipments in the US are held up and had nothing to do with back orders would be my best guess. Expect higher import charges or new tariffs on Chinese products.

I know. Parts are going to get scarce and expensive. I don't know of any company in the U.S. manufacturing parts stateside. Yes, we have Du-Bro manufacturing some things, and companies like Hitec that are here in the U.S., but I think most of their manufacturing is done overseas and shipped here.

/sarcasm on

I can't wait!

/sarcasm off

tamuct01

I contacted HK support on a order that I placed two weeks ago entirely from in-stock USA warehouse. It's still in processing state. The support person stated that the massive sale they've been running has really backed up their order processing and shipping. If accurate, it's unfortunate that they could not plan ahead to have additional staff on hand to handle the increased traffic. It's certainly a blow to their company image if they can't keep it together for a sale.

jaredstrees

I generally only order from them while they have a free shipping deal going on. I ordered a couple frsky receivers last week. They came in two days ago. No problems. Sounds like you got caught in some realm in between processes, sprzout, I had that happen with them years ago, and it took a long time before I ordered again. I generally try to stay away from them. I do love my Tundra, though!

kdobson83

I recently made two orders from the US warehouse as well, took almost 3 weeks and 3 chat sessions with them to finally get my stuff shipped. The last guy i talked to had to notify his manager to get things rolling. This time, its been a week. I chatted with them yesterday and was told it was a combination of things. He said the sale they had has them super backed up with orders, and the weather there in Oregon or where ever their warehouse is has been super bad. Lots of snow and the snow melt off with excessive rain has caused mudslides and what not so they have staffing issues as well. He said they are working on it and are about 10 days out on orders.

My complaint is that most people are understanding when told the truth. Why not put a disclaimer in the ordering process somewhere to let people know the processing time will be longer than the 3 days their site says it should take. Or a simple email to anyone making orders from that warehouse telling us what to expect. Not saying anything and then taking 3 weeks to pick and ship simple orders is a bad idea. I for one would not care if they at least told me why and not make me dig for answers.

sprzout

Mentor
I recently made two orders from the US warehouse as well, took almost 3 weeks and 3 chat sessions with them to finally get my stuff shipped. The last guy i talked to had to notify his manager to get things rolling. This time, its been a week. I chatted with them yesterday and was told it was a combination of things. He said the sale they had has them super backed up with orders, and the weather there in Oregon or where ever their warehouse is has been super bad. Lots of snow and the snow melt off with excessive rain has caused mudslides and what not so they have staffing issues as well. He said they are working on it and are about 10 days out on orders.

My complaint is that most people are understanding when told the truth. Why not put a disclaimer in the ordering process somewhere to let people know the processing time will be longer than the 3 days their site says it should take. Or a simple email to anyone making orders from that warehouse telling us what to expect. Not saying anything and then taking 3 weeks to pick and ship simple orders is a bad idea. I for one would not care if they at least told me why and not make me dig for answers.

What kills me is that it's been over a month, and the parts are in stock in their Hong Kong warehouse. At this point, they could ship them to me from there and I'd probably get it faster than them trying to process it through the USA warehouse, but they don't want to do that...And of course, because it shows in stock in one of the warehouses, I have NO way of telling if they've gotten it in stock. All I can do is keep checking and see if it has been processed or not.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I feel your pain! I have about $100 in batteries and such for my first 3DLabprint build I've been waiting for since I placed the orders back on the 21st and 24th (Still processing.) I got reamed for international shipping on my first order (.01 prop sale) and now this. I'm thinking I'll go back to aliexpress (at least there I know it's going to take a month!)

sprzout

Mentor
For batteries go here: https://chinahobbyline.com/

Anything else go here: http://www.headsuphobby.com/

Both places have great selection, great products and they both ship quick. I've had items arrive the next day from heads up rc if I order in the morning. To be fair I'm only about 45 min north of them!

Heads Up Hobby and GetFPV are quickly becoming my go to's for plane and quadcopter materials. I'm just waiting for HobbyKing to HOPEFULLY deliver my items someday, but I'm pretty much done dealing with them and will go through others in the U.S.

dcbochmann

@kdobson83 - That's the same line I was given. I was also told I can't cancel the order, that it was too late.

ewokshoter

I feel your pain. my order was delayed almost a month, on shipping that I was charged for. I had to reach out to them to get an explanation as well. they told me all the snow had shut down the warehouse for a few days, not even so much as starting off the email with a simple "sorry for the inconvenience" It really shows the difference between small and large businesses at their best and worst, when at the same time I ordered a flight controller from a smaller site, which shipped the same day, arrived in 3 days for half the shipping cost and the owner provided great support via email!

kilroy07

Legendary member
I tried Hobby King's online chat Friday and was told "they are working on my orders." Saturday received an email stating ONE of the two had shipped... However checking the tracking number, the INFO had been sent to FedEx and the package was SCHEDULED to be shipped out on the 13th! (that would make it Friday the 13th... bad luck for them, because they just lost a customer.)

Thanks for links to other suppliers, I'll give them a go once I get my "allowance"... LOL