Hobbyking selling coffee roasting equipment now???

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Haha, you fooled me :D

It's amazing to see such cheap stuff there... too bad the shipping is 170% the price!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, can't see me ever having a spare kilo to fill for postage...

But in all seriousness, this mightn't be a bad gun for roasting coffee.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'm sticking with my hot air popcorn maker (http://coffeegeek.com/guides/popperroasting), unless we somehow end up with a couple more coffee drinkers in the house.

Meanwhile, trying to figure out why my shots have been borderline today. Haven't changed the grind, and got firmer with the tamping with each event, but pulling too quickly (~18s) and down to about 8 psi. Flavour and crema OK (a little lighter than usual) but earlier in the week I'd been getting consistent 11-12 psi shots, almost over-extracting at 29-30s... I think I might need to pack a touch more in to the basket. My milk however, has been perfect and latte art really coming along!

Whoops, this is the RC forum, right...?

glydr

How many letters do we ge
I've been pulling brilliant shots lately. Perfect 'rat's tails' of crema hanging beautifully from the portafilter. And the taste shines through!

Can't say I'm huge on latte art, though the texture has been quite good if I don't say so myself.

It seems your machine isn't enjoying the firm tamp. Maybe a bit more coffee and a 'lady's tamp'?? Check the puck - it should come out as one and break evenly in your hands.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Pucks have all been good. But yeah, thinking I've underdosed a touch today. I've got one more shot of rested decaf (roasting more at the mo) that I can put through and thinking I could use one...

UPDATE: Shoved in some more coffee. I gave it a 'lady's tamp', but I probably overfilled it a touch, so in securing the group head I probably just did some more tamping. 29 second 60ml shot, nice, walnut skin coloured crema and a couple of layers of flavour. Pucks have been as you describe for all coffees, and it seems to be extracting evenly. Just I've missed that extra bit of flavour today.

Oh, and I've been enjoying practising my latte art, but I can only remember how to do the rosetta...

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
True, true. I tried taking a picture of my first successful one in Adelaide a couple of weeks ago (which is no mean feat because all the cups were different sizes), but I need pretty good light to get an image worth sharing. Mrs Lobstermash can attest to my progress though. And I'm not even using art friendly cups!

glydr

Here's one of my rosettas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKobA3wm3kc

Umm - no, not really! More like below:

failetta.jpg

glydr

Also excuse the bubbles in the milk - Mrs Glydr bought some Woolworths milk which is rubbish! (Gladly their shares have been performing better than their milk).