HobbyKing "Spec FPV250 Racing" Mini Quad

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
The slightly more expensive props are not a big deal, in that I don't crash anymore. As I said before, that's not a boast, because I fly very conservatively. I HATE repairing stuff.

BUT, these little mini's are intriguing, and it may bring out the adventurous side in me. :rolleyes::cool:

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
The gemfans may be cheaper but they're flawed in design which qmeans they constantly break at the hub so the saving in money is not as much as it seems on paper because you will break far more gemfan's in a crash than you will HQ props. Besides that, there is no Gemfan 5x4 prop and if you insist on flying a 5" prop, a 3" pitch is woefully inadequate.

DarkShot

Well now that Hobby King has started selling the cage addon I'm sure there's some of you who're up to talk about it again, so time for a bump!

Here's my most recent flying escapade. Doing some laps around a couple local baseball diamonds. Beautiful weather for it.

Greg2B

There is all of that, it seems.

I've taken my R&P and Yaw rates from 0.00 to 0.50, RC rate from 0.85 to 1.10, and RC expo from 0.65 to 0.50. Haven't flown it yet, but I hope these will get me closer to the snappiness I had dialed into the KK2.

Just wanted to say thanks mustang for suggesting these settings. I tried these settings except the rc expo and I was able able to flip my little MHQ quad. The only thing I didn't know was that when you change the profile that you have to redo you aux config. I was flying and flipping the switch to move to horizon mode and it wasn't working!;)

I need to find some more detailed docs on all the things in basefligtht does down RC expo make it more smooth or twitchy?? I'm still new to acro naze 32.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Ok, I just got mine today. I slapped it together, and tossed it in the air. I am far from having the settings the way I want on the KK2, but so far, stock motors and all, I am VERY pleased.

DarkShot

You'll love flying one of these little guys around FPV if you haven't yet. It's brilliant to shoot for gaps and do things you wouldn't normally do without worry :D

Mustang7302

Just wanted to say thanks mustang for suggesting these settings. I tried these settings except the rc expo and I was able able to flip my little MHQ quad. The only thing I didn't know was that when you change the profile that you have to redo you aux config. I was flying and flipping the switch to move to horizon mode and it wasn't working!;)

I need to find some more detailed docs on all the things in basefligtht does down RC expo make it more smooth or twitchy?? I'm still new to acro naze 32.

I am glad the settings helped. They're a good baseline of getting a connected feel to the craft. I've since gone to 0.45 Pitch/Roll Rate, 0.85 Yaw Rate, 1.25 RC Rate, 0.00 RC Expo, and dial in 30% expo on elevator and aileron through the transmitter. It's a bit aggressive, but my preference is for it to react quickly.

I am sold on the mini multirotor format. I like the size for how easy it is to load up and travel, how little space is needed to tinker while on the bench, how the light weight makes it prone to enduring intense crashes very well, how they can be surprisingly powerful and fast, and fly through small places you wouldn't dream of flying a 450 size through.

That's not to say however that I think the HK kit is any good. It is under powered and even with the addition of Afro ESCs in the latest kits, it is still not worth the limitations of what the frame offers for wire management and limited availability of parts and props. Much better frames and motors to choose from on the market, which are still affordable and provide a better value for the dollar spent.

DarkShot

Do it! These things are so small that there's no need to worry too much if you crash into things. This spot I flew at wasn't particularily big at all, but it was a total blast to fly at.

kah00na

Do it! These things are so small that there's no need to worry too much if you crash into things. This spot I flew at wasn't particularily big at all, but it was a total blast to fly at.

That was a good flight! I like the silencing of the motors during what I call the "oh crap" moment at 2:23. :) You survived though! Well flown!

@darkshot

I'm about to click the check out button on one of these... is that the stock setup? I'm debating if I need to spend the few extra $$ and get some beefed up motors for it. however if that's a stock setup with all the FPV gear i think I'm sold, i certainly don't need to fly any faster. ��

-Jes

since the kit isn't available in the US warehouse, I've got to build one. I already have 2 20a HK sec's the weight difference isn't too dramatic I'll just buy 2 more to keep my cost down, I'm gonna go with the KK board for now, I have FPV gear in the mail, I just need to settle on motors.

any recommendations for better than the 1704 1900kv ones that come in the kit? (that I can get in the US?)

Last edited:

Mustang7302

-video-

Nice flying and a nice spot for weaving in and out of obstacles.

@darkshot

I'm about to click the check out button on one of these... is that the stock setup? I'm debating if I need to spend the few extra $$ and get some beefed up motors for it. however if that's a stock setup with all the FPV gear i think I'm sold, i certainly don't need to fly any faster. ��

-Jes

The video description says he is running RCX 1804 2400KV motors, which is not the "stock" Multistar 1704 1900KV motors. I strongly recommend an 1806 size motor for their power and weight, especially if you're flying with the bulk of FPV gear or 1300mAh to 2200mAh 3S batteries. Currently my go to option for mini builds is the DYS BE1806 from MultiRotorMinis (they're Houston based).

The most important thing about the "stock" kit is not to use the 10A Multistar ESCs that sell with it (if they're still included). The ESCs just are not worth the effort to tune because they're so slow to react to input. Anything flashed with SimonK or BLHeli out of the package will give you a much better experience. Again, currently my go to option for ESCs is the EMAX Simon Series 12A option from MultiRotorMinis.

Just my suggestions for getting off a good start for a mini build. You can use cheap and docile GemFan 5030 props to start, and then step up to HQ 6030 props when you're use to the power and want to really smile like a kid on Christmas morning.

DarkShot

@darkshot

-Jes

since the kit isn't available in the US warehouse, I've got to build one. I already have 2 20a HK sec's the weight difference isn't too dramatic I'll just buy 2 more to keep my cost down, I'm gonna go with the KK board for now, I have FPV gear in the mail, I just need to settle on motors.

any recommendations for better than the 1704 1900kv ones that come in the kit? (that I can get in the US?)

It's definitely not the kit. This one was built ground up with only the frame coming from HobbyKing.

I agree with Mustang, go with the DYS 1806 motors and 12A ESCs with Simonk, definitely more power and highend than the Multistar 1704s, and probably more powerful than the RCX motors to boot. By the way, it's not just a weight factor with the ESCs. In building it always helps that they're small enough to fit where you want, and there's quite the size difference between 20A ESCs and 12A.

Just to reiterate, I went with the frame+cage setup. I had everything strapped onto the main frame at first, but after every crash I always had to resecure something with zipties, which ended up being a pain. For me, the 50gram weight penalty of the cage is more than worth the added mounting real estate and the ability to pick it up, flatten or replace a damaged prop, and carry on without a bit of concern.

When you do order the frame, order a backup set as well. I've broken a frame already, so it's more than worth it to save the hassle and have an extra frame at the ready.

IMG_1542_zps3fa39412.jpg

Last edited:
HK orders always kill me, as soon as I make my purchase I find something I forgot to by and at the cost of shipping I usually wait till my next order. I'm trying to get all the parts I need for this build but I'm having a hell of a time finding motors, I intend on putting a little FPV camera and possibly a mobius. I checked closer on the weight differences between the 12a and 20a esc's and the 20's are definitely too heavy. so I'm gonna need esc's too. and at $10/ea and $15ish each for the motors I'm already at 100 before I buy anything else...

they upgraded the kit to include the afro 12a v2 esc's... the more I price shop the more that kit is looking like the deal, Should I just bite the bullet and learn to fly it and then upgrade motors later? I don't think I can piece together a quad for the price.

-Jes

DarkShot

I had a blast watching. Nice job.

KK board ?

Danke. Nope, it's a Flip 1.5, those boards that the FT crew are always raving about.

I'd used it on a couple builds shortly before the FT crew tried it and love it as much as they did. Multiwii is both amazing and stupid flexible, not to mention really cheap with the basic Flip 1.5 board. The only other basic flight controller I'd consider using is a Naze32. I've got a KK2.1 board sitting in my drawer that will probably never be used unless I wanna build something that I expect to trash through flying.

HK orders always kill me, as soon as I make my purchase I find something I forgot to by and at the cost of shipping I usually wait till my next order. I'm trying to get all the parts I need for this build but I'm having a hell of a time finding motors, I intend on putting a little FPV camera and possibly a mobius. I checked closer on the weight differences between the 12a and 20a esc's and the 20's are definitely too heavy. so I'm gonna need esc's too. and at $10/ea and $15ish each for the motors I'm already at 100 before I buy anything else...

they upgraded the kit to include the afro 12a v2 esc's... the more I price shop the more that kit is looking like the deal, Should I just bite the bullet and learn to fly it and then upgrade motors later? I don't think I can piece together a quad for the price.

-Jes

Go for it if it's in stock. Just look into grabbing some 3 bladed props when you do so. Then when you manage to get some money saved up, buy some new motors and sell the old ones or use them for something else.

And don't forget the cage, the cage is beautiful with all the room inside of it to mount all sorts of FPV related stuff.

Last edited:

Mustang7302

-Jes

Oh. A huge thing about HK and this FPV250 kit. DO NOT ORDER FROM THE INTERNATIONAL WAREHOUSE! It took seven or eight weeks for the package arrive through Malaysian Post EMS, which is just simply not acceptable. Then this assumes you get the right parts in the box to fly with; the props I received would not fly as I had gotten three CW props and 1 CCW prop. And don't forget that the kit doesn't include a flight controller, so you'll still need to pony up at least another $30 for a KK2 or Naze32. Now the "low" price isn't as appealing if you're going to be flying with under powered motors for carrying north of 500 grams with FPV and Mobius.

For what its worth, and slightly more money by supporting US vendors, here is what I would recommend:

Frame: Polakium Engineering SSHQ Pro ($24) and Roll Bar ($5)
Motors: DYS BE1806 2300KV ($64)
ESCs: EMAX Simon Series 12A BLHeli Firmware ($48)
Props: Four Sets of GemFan 5030 ($16)
Battery: MRSS 1300mAh 35C 3S ($16)

That puts you about $190 for the same parts you get in the HK kits for parts that are better in every way. Add on a Acro Naze32 from MRSS while you get the other parts and you're in the air for less than $225 on a quad that will have more power to carry the weight, is possibly more durable, and you can have all the parts to your door in under a week from the time you order.

That's a similar build to to one I did on my Polakium, see my build log here: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?8891-Mustang7302-s-Polakium-SSHQuad-v3-Build-Log

Here is a picture of my SSHQ V3 that I built a couple of months ago:

l3FWTY7.jpg

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
If you use the Swiss Post option from HK International, my orders always get to me well under 2 weeks. I'm extremely impressed with the carrier. Plus their tracking is always current and the location is within 12 hours of what the tracker displays.

Orangesurfer, there are several other outlets that beat HK in final cost. Rctimer is one, (they don't bend you over the rail with shipping) but you'll have to wait about 3 weeks. Also, if you want an awesome FPV camera, that is ONLY for FPV (no DVR capability) securitycam2000.com offers a cam called the PZ0420 that is outstanding for $42 total cost.