Hobbyzone Stratos

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Looks like a great plane to get a beginner or a kid started in RC flying.

-------------

Nice to see Josh can perform a stall test now! He's really learning!
I just envisioned Josh Scott saying "I want to be like Josh Bixler when I grow up!" - Sorry Josh Scott.

John Campbell

Great Video guys, and was really glad to see Josh Scott doing the flying. Good handling, trimming on his own, and a good landing. Over all the plane looks great for a Beginner. Personally, I like my twinstar a lot better, seems to have most of the same characteristics and I have my own programming, but then again it is designed for a beginner. 2 big turn off's to me is that it does not have a BNF Feature to where I can use my JR & Spectrum transmitters, also, the magnetic wing. Nice Idea, but really wonder how it will handle some stronger aerobatics.

One thing that really impressed me, is that it is twin engine.. Question to Josh Scott. Is this the first Twin or Multi-Engine/Motor that you have flown RC?

I did notice something interesting in the background when going from inside to outside... The Sabre F-86... Hmm, do I smell a nice demo coming in the near future.... See a video that I shot a couple of years ago.

Great Job to everyone.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Some more tech info would be nice.
Motor, battery and radio system.
http://www.hobbyzonerc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=HBZ7700
They tell that the radio is NOT DSM Spektrum compatible but it is probably compatible with something else on the market?
The small size and small motors does not seem to be able to carry much extra load as camera, bombs or other fun things.
130 dollars for a complete well flying plane is a good deal.

Doesn't seem like a good plane to me. Brushed motors only, really? Brushless are so cheap there's no need.
A trainer plane that can't be buddy boxed!? Got to be crazy. All those mixes only make a slight difference compared to the number one reason for newbie crashes - and that is orientation. That's why you need a buddy box with someone more experienced.
Don't have the option to use a better radio either so any progression to a new plane will be starting from scratch again with a new charger, transmitter needed.
Much better to get an AXN Floater which is easy to fly and yet still good for experienced pilots as well and you can buddy box it too. Get a better plane in every way and cheaper.

Last edited:
BTW I think Josh Scott should fly almost every plane. Even if he crashes it at least you can see how a newer pilot would fare.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I think that the reason it's not made to be BNF or bound to anything else is so you don't lose the mixing. It's a great all in one box plane for newbs. I don't think I'll get my kid one, we'll probably stick with the cub since I already have all the spares. I think that being able to buddy box isn't that big a deal on this plane because it's slow enough that you can simply hand the controller over in plenty of time. Plus if you crash it's not that bad. I buddy box balsa planes because of the repair time. I hope that this is an isolated incident and that they aren't planning a bunch of planes that can't be bound to other radios. As far as being compatible with other systems, I highly doubt it. I'm sure it's still got the DSM2 or DSMX but they took away the binding feature to make it even easier to go flying and so you can't screw up the mixing.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Probably one of the most entertaining HH episodes yet! I don't dig the plane, but the review and humour was great. I agree with most of the comments above about the plane. Compared to 5-10 years ago, when Lipos and brushless motors were $50-$100 each, this is a golden age of affordable model aviation. Paying more than $100 for brushed motors and a toy tx seems... well, silly. To me, this kit seems to be filling a niche of the past, ie pre-simulator, pre-flight stabiliser, pre-ultra-cheap-trainer planes. Buy a 9x, a Bixler and download a free sim, all for less cheddar and with less redundant gear...

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Agreed. That plane isn't for me, but I think it's a good direction for horizon. They have always had good trainers. 2 and 3 channel pushers that were really nice to learn with. The rubber nose is the same as my old firebird freedom and that saved me a bunch of times.

Josh Scott

One thing that really impressed me, is that it is twin engine.. Question to Josh Scott. Is this the first Twin or Multi-Engine/Motor that you have flown RC?

My brain is little groggy right now, being that I just woke up five minutes ago (a testament to my dedication to the flitetest forum). But, yes I believe it is the first. Certainly the first with complete success :)
Now I'm going back to sleep. Goodnight.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
My brain is little groggy right now, being that I just woke up five minutes ago (a testament to my dedication to the flitetest forum). But, yes I believe it is the first. Certainly the first with complete success :)
Now I'm going back to sleep. Goodnight.

HAHAHA Good for you :) I have posts ranging anywhere from 6 AM to 2 AM :)

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Not for me either and I think if I were recommending a plane for a new flyer I would still go in another direction.

I would want to be able to use my trusty dx6i (or have a new pilot be able to start with a programmable radio)
I don't know why HH keeps putting brushed motors into anything

BUT when I first started and the price point was the main thing I was worried about I could see how I may have been tempted to go in this direction. A true one box plane for 130 bucks has some appeal...

Josh Scott- fly more! Nice to see you fly this plane :)

Josh is hardly a beginner anymore. As it is for beginners it would be interesting to give it to someone who has never flown before - though without a buddy box maybe that would've been too risky.
Saying that I learnt by myself on a Supercub LP that came with a crap FM transmitter that couldn't be buddy boxed. As I didn't know anybody with a plane there was no one anyway that could help.
Though since then I have got another six or seven people into the sport - not bad for a year and a half! Most people are hugely surprised at how cheap it is these days.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Agreed-
I think it would be an interesting episode for the guys to go to a local park with four or five different trainer type planes and see how totally new beginners react with the planes.
Slow Stick
Bixler/Sky Surfer
Champ
Supercub LP
Stratos

John Campbell

Agreed-
I think it would be an interesting episode for the guys to go to a local park with four or five different trainer type planes and see how totally new beginners react with the planes.
Slow Stick
Bixler/Sky Surfer
Champ
Supercub LP
Stratos

Now that is a great idea... I used to do Professional Video Production and still have equipment... I may try just something like that and see what happens. Would be fun. I would really like to see Flitetest do it however.

Cyberspy

I'm brand new to this hobby. Never flown an RC plane before and there is no one around me who does. After watching the video. I think this would be a good first plane for me. Its cheap and comes with everything all in one box.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I'm brand new to this hobby. Never flown an RC plane before and there is no one around me who does. After watching the video. I think this would be a good first plane for me. Its cheap and comes with everything all in one box.
I think you are correct. For sure, try out one of the RC simulators (three are even free ones) so you can get your left/right orientation down before the first flight.