Home Position for 3D Printer

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a rookie question on my 3D printer. What is the distance from the nozzle to the print bed when the nozzle is in the home position ? Is it the distance of the thickness from a sheet of paper ? This is what I have done. I start with the printer being in the home position, disable the stepper motors and use a piece of paper to help with leveling the bed. When I do this, I have to move the Z axis down so the nozzle can get closer to the bed. I check the level of the bed several times to make sure everything is good. I also have the bed preheated. I think I am ready to make a print. Then I will have the printer go to the home position with the stepper motors now working so I can start the print. The Z axis will change the distance from the bed to the nozzle after I told the printer to go to the home position. It is now more then the thickness of a sheet of paper. The distance looks like a 1/16". I can not get the filament to stick to the bed. A couple of guys told me that the nozzle should be the thickness of the paper from the bed. I need help with this. What is going on with the printer ? What do I need to adjust ? I have done a Google search with no real luck. There is a lot of videos on leveling the bed but nothing to cure my problem. Is my printer working correctly when it is going to the home position ? Can someone point me in the right direction. Printer is Ender 3V2.

Welcome to all input,
Al

Last edited:

Taildragger

Legendary member
Hi Everyone,

I have a rookie question on my 3D printer. What is the distance from the nozzle to the print bed when the nozzle is in the home position ? Is it the distance of the thickness from a sheet of paper ? This is what I have done. I start with the printer being in the home position, disable the stepper motors and use a piece of paper to help with leveling the bed. When I do this, I have to move the Z axis down so the nozzle can get closer to the bed. I check the level of the bed several times to make sure everything is good. I also have the bed preheated. I think I am ready to make a print. Then I will have the printer go to the home position with the stepper motors now working so I can start the print. The Z axis will change the distance from the bed to the nozzle after I told the printer to go to the home position. It is now more then the thickness of a sheet of paper. The distance looks like a 1/16". I can not get the filament to stick to the bed. A couple of guys told me that the nozzle should be the thickness of the paper from the bed. I need help with this. What is going on with the printer ? What do I need to adjust ? I have done a Google search with no real luck. There is a lot of videos on leveling the bed but nothing to cure my problem. Is my printer working correctly when it is going to the home position ? Can someone point me in the right direction.

Welcome to all input,
Al
I bet david could help you... if he has time
@FTCA Director

Flyingshark

Master member
Hi Everyone,

I have a rookie question on my 3D printer. What is the distance from the nozzle to the print bed when the nozzle is in the home position ? Is it the distance of the thickness from a sheet of paper ? This is what I have done. I start with the printer being in the home position, disable the stepper motors and use a piece of paper to help with leveling the bed. When I do this, I have to move the Z axis down so the nozzle can get closer to the bed. I check the level of the bed several times to make sure everything is good. I also have the bed preheated. I think I am ready to make a print. Then I will have the printer go to the home position with the stepper motors now working so I can start the print. The Z axis will change the distance from the bed to the nozzle after I told the printer to go to the home position. It is now more then the thickness of a sheet of paper. The distance looks like a 1/16". I can not get the filament to stick to the bed. A couple of guys told me that the nozzle should be the thickness of the paper from the bed. I need help with this. What is going on with the printer ? What do I need to adjust ? I have done a Google search with no real luck. There is a lot of videos on leveling the bed but nothing to cure my problem. Is my printer working correctly when it is going to the home position ? Can someone point me in the right direction. Printer is Ender 3V2.

Welcome to all input,
Al
If I'm reading this right, it sounds like you're just adjusting the Z-axis value that the printer is at. While this will briefly look like an improvement, it isn't what you want to do. The printer will move the Z-axis in its own way once you start a print, and it won't remember the changes you tried to make, so there isn't a lasting effect. As an airplane analogy, it sounds like you're putting in a little control input when you should be changing the trim. :) (Okay maybe that wasn't so helpful.)

Instead, you want to use the knobs under the bed to move the bed closer to the nozzle when the extruder is at 0 on the Z-axis. You want to do this at more places than the home position, so that the nozzle will be a consistent distance from the bed anywhere on the bed.

So start by moving the extruder to the midpoints of each side of the bed (do this through the "move axis" menu), and use the knobs to move the bed up until it's a paper's thickness away at the midpoint of each of the four sides. Then move the extruder to the points on the bed roughly over each of the knobs and make sure that it's a paper's thickness away from the bed there as well.

Now that you've done this, if you send the extruder back to the home position, it should be just slightly above the bed, and it should also be at a similar height above the bed everywhere else. If that's true, you should have a much easier time printing.

alan0043

How much of a mistake did I make trying to think I can 3D print. Has anyone be able to print on there bed with out help of glue stick or hair spray ? I don't know how many times that I tried leveling the bed. I first I thought that was the problem. But the more I look into 3D printing the more I think I made a big mistake. Still can't get prints to stick to bed with releveling for 4 times. I even readjusted the Z axis level switch several times. Do I put down glue ?

quorneng

Master member
When my Anet A8 kit was delivered 5 years ago the bed had a layer of masking on it, 4 strips of 2" wide.
Parts stick very well, indeed it you set the first layer too close it is likely to rip the tape as you try to get the part off!
Over time the tape does get flattened a bit so the bed has to be adjusted accordingly. The tape should last several hundred prints but it is cheap enough to replace.
The bed still has masking tape on it.;)
Probably the 'tallest' item I have printed to date.
TallThin1.JPG

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
you should be adjusting the bed level screws after zeroing the z axis, not the z position as the first step of any print is to zero all 3 axis, which would reset any minor adjustments your doing by playing with the z position.

alan0043

When my Anet A8 kit was delivered 5 years ago the bed had a layer of masking on it, 4 strips of 2" wide.
Parts stick very well, indeed it you set the first layer too close it is likely to rip the tape as you try to get the part off!
Over time the tape does get flattened a bit so the bed has to be adjusted accordingly. The tape should last several hundred prints but it is cheap enough to replace.
The bed still has masking tape on it.;)
Probably the 'tallest' item I have printed to date.
View attachment 213850

Thank you for sharing. I did pick up a glue stick made by Elmer's glue. I will remember the trick about masking tape.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I came across this video on leveling the bed. This fellow seems to to a nice job explaining the steps to get a level bed.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I little update. I was able to make my first print. I printed out the cat that was on the Ender micro card. I thought what the heck, lets go for a second print. Well guess what, you got it no sticking to the bed. :) I did use Elmer's glue stick on the bed. Now for a question or too. Do I need to clean the bed after each use and put down glue stick ? I think the bed is still level. Looking for some tips so I can make more print.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hi Everyone,

I little update. I was able to make my first print. I printed out the cat that was on the Ender micro card. I thought what the heck, lets go for a second print. Well guess what, you got it no sticking to the bed. :) I did use Elmer's glue stick on the bed. Now for a question or too. Do I need to clean the bed after each use and put down glue stick ? I think the bed is still level. Looking for some tips so I can make more print.
The plate that comes with the Ender 3 has a decent build surface that if adjusted correctly and heated to the correct temperature (50-60C for PLA) , should not require additional adhesives. (ie glue, hairspray, etc) The key is making sure the bed is clean and getting the first layer height set correctly so you have just the right amount of "squish" for adhesion.

There are several print tests out there that can assist in checking the first layer. The one I use prints over the whole bed
IMG_20211213_124512059.jpg

alan0043

The plate that comes with the Ender 3 has a decent build surface that if adjusted correctly and heated to the correct temperature (50-60C for PLA) , should not require additional adhesives. (ie glue, hairspray, etc) The key is making sure the bed is clean and getting the first layer height set correctly so you have just the right amount of "squish" for adhesion.

There are several print tests out there that can assist in checking the first layer. The one I use prints over the whole bed
View attachment 214038

Where do I find such a program ? Thing-a-verse ? I also understand what I have a whole lot to learn about down loading programs on to a memory stick, then into a slicer and back onto the memory stick so I can make a print. This whole idea about a memory stick would be a whole new thread. I little insight, I don't find a computer to be friendly. :) I am 71 years old and still willing to learn.

Thank you for the help. Al

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Where do I find such a program ? Thing-a-verse ? I also understand what I have a whole lot to learn about down loading programs on to a memory stick, then into a slicer and back onto the memory stick so I can make a print. This whole idea about a memory stick would be a whole new thread. I little insight, I don't find a computer to be friendly. :) I am 71 years old and still willing to learn.

Thank you for the help. Al
You can get STL files from Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3235018 for example

I have a 300x300 bed on my CR10 knock off, so this is the one I used in the picture above https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3399762

alan0043

Hey Gang,
Here we go. How many of you guys have tried 3 D printing ? You would think if I printed the cat from the Ender 3 files I could print the dog. Are you kidding me, no such luck. There has to be a secret code. I have even went - 10.00 on the z axis with no luck. It almost sounds like I need to level the bed after every print.

When I am in the home position, what is the distance from the nozzle to the bed ? I believe this is the key. The bed is level.

I hope the bed does not chance from one print to another.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Hey Gang,
Here we go. How many of you guys have tried 3 D printing ? You would think if I printed the cat from the Ender 3 files I could print the dog. Are you kidding me, no such luck. There has to be a secret code. I have even went - 10.00 on the z axis with no luck. It almost sounds like I need to level the bed after every print.

When I am in the home position, what is the distance from the nozzle to the bed ? I believe this is the key. The bed is level.

I hope the bed does not chance from one print to another.
I does not change. I am too tired to help you more though. ☹️☹️😴😴😴