Horisontal stabiliser in the same level with wings

.WARHAWK.

Is there anything wrong placing the Horisontal stabiliser in the same level with the wings ?
( not for a serious project , just a small fun plane )

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Not at all! For 3D and sport planes we usually keep the tail in line with the wing and thrust which gives very axial rolls. The farther you get your control surfaces from the thrust line, the more complicated the aerodynamic effects get. For example, a rudder places high above the thrust line will start to roll the airplane. This is sometimes the desired effect, like on most 3 channel airplanes the rudder will roll and yaw the airplane giving you nice turns.

Last edited:

jfaleo1

Oh yes , I forgot about aerobatic planes . I have observed that most planes avoid that ( I think to keep the elevator away from the disturbed airflow from the wings )

Actually T-Tails can be worse for this since the airflow gets disturbed at a high angle of attack.

jfaleo1

Yes , T tails are known for dangerous stalls

To be clear not all t-tails are bad in stalls. Proper design keeps a good t-tail very docile and easy to fly. if the design has a long enough moment between wing and stab, and the stab is large enough they are fine. Citation VII or X are good, so are King airs. Lear's (20 and 30 series before delta fins, and most Gulfstreams (II,III,IV) all have stick pushers to prevent deep stall.