Horizon hobby is slashing prices on some receivers.

tramsgar

They're also throwing out the UMX MiG-15 (EFLU1680) and Icon A5 BNF (PKZ5880) which are two absolutely great models that I've enjoyed immensely.

tramsgar

It's a good start, they must feel the pressure from the competition now. But the price of AR8000... Not realistic. If the transmitters were cheap, it'd be more ok. Hopefully they'll do some development soon to get ahead in more ways than price. I really like Spektrum, but the receivers I buy are not black, but orange. Got kids to feed.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I have both orange and black rx's. For my expensive stuff I've gone back to black, cheapies I fly orange. I may try the orange DSMX stuff out and maybe it'll give me the confidence I'm looking for. Gotta remember though, Spektrum develops technology instead of copying it like the orange stuff. If not for Horizon, we wouldn't have cheap orange rx's that work with our ultra micros.

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
Maybe the world is finally realizing that spektrum is not all it's cracked up to be...

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Maybe the world is finally realizing that spektrum is not all it's cracked up to be...

What makes you say that? My radio works just fine. I've never had a brownout that wasn't caused by a faulty servo with any of my Spektrum brand stuff. I have had my 9 channel knockoff cause several crashes but never a problem with a 6 channel. I've flown upwards of 20 models with a single DX8 and everything works exactly as advertised.....

........so what makes it not all it's cracked up to be?

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
I would take a FrSky over Spektrum any day of the week...but I personally fly with dragonlink on my JR...

If you have not used a nice FrSky system and turned off the TX in a dive, turned it back on and pulled up, then you would not know what I am talking about. You also wouldn't know much difference if you have never used a quality JR, hitech or Futaba TX, the hardware from the switches to the gimbals makes spektrum look and feel like cheap chinese crap (and it sort of is) it's also way overpriced for what you get and I feel the only reason it is so popular is because everyone has them already, so when you ask people you get the group think answer, the status quo (which is always outdated). I will admit the programming interface is super easy for noobs, but you will quickly outgrow the features of the value priced offerings...This is a long running debate and I will argue it all day from a real world experience prospective because I have owned them all...I have an article posted on this website with a video chronicling all my spektrum brown outs if you wish to watch...ones mans perfect radio is another man's nightmare...and I am not alone...many people are realizing they can get a lot more of everything for their money if they simply shop around and stop accepting the status quo, and that's all spektrum is, the status quo, not truly the best radio...I would say that honor goes to the FrSky Taranus right now...it makes spektrum look like a toy...Just because everyone has one, doesn't make it the best...

Last edited:

tramsgar

Well I wasn't bashing Spektrum's stuff, just their price policy. I'd given them more money if they'd have realistic prices which they don't today. Would be a win-win. And I'd rather, because I agree they should have that money when they were the ones developing the system. I really like their tx, feels good, easy to use, never a single glitch. Not saying it's the best, only that I like it and it works very good for me.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Most people that keep flying them are the ones that have no trouble with them. The people that bash them are usually speaking from bad experiences and have had trouble with them. No system is completely bulletproof and the flying environment has a lot to do with that, all other things being equal. Find what works for you, where you fly and be happy. It's really very simple, we fly, we crash, we rebuild and repeat. If it's the radio, change it.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Wow, I guess I'll tell the guy I know that flies a $13,000.00 turbine powered jet with Spektrum that he's a total idiot and needs to burn all his cheap chinese crap immediately. Oh, and that he needs to go back to futaba which is what he had before he had spektrum. I'll try not to be offended by that. Well that didn't work. Oh, I have also owned airtronics and I've tried futaba and jr and I like my spektrum. Guess I'm too much of a noob to know programming. I do know that easy programming doesn't get old once you get more experience. I don't like to have something that's more complicated just so I can say I know more than someone else.

So, if Futaba has been around for sooooo much longer than spektrum, yet everyone (according to you) has spektrum, then why did anyone leave futaba? Could it be that they enjoyed the easier programming? Oh and maybe I like the fact that I can take my one radio and fly everything I own, including my ultra micro planes, helis, nitro planes and helis....everything. And I can do it without adding a module or anylink or anything.

So you've owned them all huh. I have a DX8, my friend has a DX7s, another friend has a Futaba 8FG super and he's thinking of going over to spektrum because he likes them better. Oh, and we all fly Nitro 3D helis. Guess we don't have any clue what we're talking about.

Well my opinion is that I like my Spektrum and I didn't come here to bash anyone else for what they like, I just started this thread to alert others to a good deal. So if you really feel the need to trash people, do it somewhere else.