Horizon Hobby - Timber Safe

Specialized29er

Getting back into RC planes after a 25 year break, love the scale War Birds WW1 and WW2.
For my first skills regaining plane I've purchased a Horizon Hobby Timber with the Safe system but having trouble understand the difference between the Safe bind and the AS3X bind.
I think the plane is a little big and I've obtained a Great Planes simulator that's helping me and looking at buying a Carbon Cub 3+ to fly first since its smaller and has the fly its self system, I'm thinking great for regaining my flying skills.

I'm trying to setup the Timber and don't understand the difference between the Safe and the AS3X modes.

Question: When binding the plane theirs 2 binding methods, one being Safe and the other being AS3X only. In the Safe mode is the AS3X automatically setup and in the the AS3X only mode doesn't this have the Safe mode.

Is this correct in the Safe mode the system automatically corrects the controls with a flick of a switch should I get into trouble and in the AS3X mode this only stabilizes the flight and doesn't have the Safe mode switched on.

Then again do I need to setup the Safe binding and then also the AS3X only mode.

2 binding setups or only one.

Please help I'm stumped.

moret

You can only blind one way. I would set up safe and assign it to a switch (page 10 of the timber manual). You will have AS3X either way. By having a switch you can turn safe on / off from the ground. If the timber is like the carbon club, safe will return the plane to level if you center the sticks. AS3X will stabilize the flight only. You put you plane into a left bank with safe and release the sticks the plane will roll back level. You put the plane into a left bank with AS3X and center the sticks, the plane will remain in the left bank till you roll it out. AS3X will help in wind. Its nice to have safe on a switch. You can take a new person out to the field, take off, get up high, have the plane in safe and hand the controls to the other person. Then take them back and land. Oh, without the neck strap, so you don't hurt them if you need grab the transmitter back.:)

Reactions: FDS

Brett_N

Specialized - what radio are you using?

If it's a DX6e or better, (programmeable) you can go into the "flight modes" settings and add a 3-way switch. This switch is then assigned to channel 5, and voila, you have 3 safe modes.

SAFE ON (beginner mode)
SAFE MEDIUM (intermediate mode)
SAFE OFF (advanced mode)

AS3X is ALWAYS enabled on these planes (unless you re-program the reciever) - but AS3X is basically anti-WIND type stability, where SAFE is bank angle limiting.

Specialized29er

Specialized - what radio are you using?

If it's a DX6e or better, (programmeable) you can go into the "flight modes" settings and add a 3-way switch. This switch is then assigned to channel 5, and voila, you have 3 safe modes.

SAFE ON (beginner mode)
SAFE MEDIUM (intermediate mode)
SAFE OFF (advanced mode)

AS3X is ALWAYS enabled on these planes (unless you re-program the reciever) - but AS3X is basically anti-WIND type stability, where SAFE is bank angle limiting.
Thanks Brett, that's the info I'm seeking so I'll just bind the Safe mode.

FDS

Elite member
You don’t bind any modes, you only bind the transmitter to the receiver, once bound you have to program the Transmitter so that it sends the right signal to the receiver using a switch to set SAFE. Modes are programmed, binding just locks the receiver to the transmitter so only your TX can fly your RX, it’s like a digital handshake.