hot glue question

FDS

Elite member
They just recommend a decent sized glue gun of 100+W that can put out enough power to make long seams stay hot.
Any hot glue stick will work, you want the 12” long ones, especially for doing wings.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @FDS, making sure your glue gun is hot enough is far more important than the brand of glue.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Not giving the glue gun time to heat up is a big mistake. I've learned the hard way not to work with cold glue. It look like its will stick but has very little strength.

Headbang

Master member
I have found very soft and bendy sticks here and there. Those sticks were also super cloudy looking. Avoid those, they make for bendy planes. I find sticks that are clear enough you can make out the shadow of your finger on the other side work well, they are harder, make for more rigid planes. Almost any sticks that say hi temp are perfect. At least a 60w gun that takes the big sticks is needed. I find dewalt and westscott to have better triggers and grabbing power then the adtech gun.

These are the sticks I like
20190107_205254.jpg

Reactions: FDS

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I LOVE my Dewalt. But my dad's Adtech Pro is really nice with the swappable tips, too...

As for hot glue sticks? Those are getting tougher to find, at least in full length sticks. All everyone has around here are the mini guns, and the mini glue sticks. I think I'm going to have to buy a box of the full length ones for the next build party I do...

Captain Video

I just got a Ryobi battery operated model for in the field. It uses the same Lipo batteries that work on all of their tools. I use a 4 amp battery when in the field. Even when the outside temp is in the 40s it squirts out the glue bubbling hot so I can get flying after the ground jumped up and smacked down my Mini Arrow over and over again.

Last edited:

sprzout

Mentor
I just got a Ryobi battery operated model for in the field. It uses the same Lipo batteries that work on all of their tools. I use a 4 amp battery when in the field. Even when the outside temp is in the 40s it squirts out the glue bubbling hot so I can get flying after the ground jumped up and smacked down my Mini Arrow over and over again.

I thought about one of those, except that I don't have ANY other Ryobi tools. I couldn't justify the cost of the battery packs AND the glue gun for JUST that, not when I could buy the Adtech for roughly $20, or the Dewalt for roughly $30 (and these prices may be cheaper due to store coupons).

BUT! If you have Ryobi power tools, I'd DEFINITELY consider it...:)

sprzout

Mentor
Sprzout:
Absolutely. But I have several Ryobi tools thus multiple batteries 1.5 to 4 amps. I love it. So far very reliable!

Glad to hear it. Maybe, as my tools and packs start to die, I'll make the switch...But when you live in an apartment and the only tools you really need are a socket set, a drill, and some screwdrivers, I'm not too much on needing to purchase more. :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the few of my generation that knows how to utilize tools in building (my father was a woodworking hobbyist and DIYer, my grandfather before him was a handyman who used to fix all sorts of aging homes throughout San Diego County, upgrading wiring and plumbing systems - we suspect some of the asbestos materials in the construction of the older houses were what gave him cancer and ultimately caused his death, but we had no way to prove it), so I know a lot about USING tools, I just don't have the space for it. :( One of these days, though...:)

Berekiah

I also have the Ryobi and love it as it is so portable and easy to use without having to look for a plug. It is also great to take to the field to make quick fixes on FT planes and get back in the air instead of calling it a day. Just remember to get the bigger 18v batteries as the small ones only last an hour.

Don't forget to turn it off after the repair or the next bush landing will end your day :)

whackflyer

Master member
i use nothing but gorilla hot glue sticks. you can find them @ walmart.

I just switched to gorilla, can’t notice much difference from the ft brand ones I was using other than the gorilla ones are a lot cheaper for what you get. I haven’t had any problems with them so far...

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I just switched to gorilla, can’t notice much difference from the ft brand ones I was using other than the gorilla ones are a lot cheaper for what you get. I haven’t had any problems with them so far...

you can find the long ones @ wal-mart sometimes but always on amazon. LINK