Hot Glue gun temperature setting

• High

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Low

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jabberwo

Hi folks,

Newbie, just glued my first Chuck Glider last night! Unboxed a 3 year cordless Adtech (DD was gonna use it on some sewing projects) and some Stanley glue they had at HomeDepot. I made my share of mistakes! But the smell of the glue and the foam made me wonder -- what temperature setting on the gun should I use, High or Low?

thanks,
Jab

mayan

Legendary member
Most hot glue guns don’t have temps on them at least not the ones I have seen. But in case you have the option I think it would depend on what you wanted to glue. Low temp could be used for things that needed only a very small bit that way the glue doesn’t cool on you before you set a piece in place. Hot temp could work for large surfaces that needed to be covered giving you more time to set the piece in place before it cools down. But beware I think this might also effect the glue sticks that you use. Some might not work for the low or high temp.

The smell could mean it’s too hot.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I also have a Adtech glue gun. Mine is a cheap corded one from Walmart. For me, the low temp setting was not hot enough, the glue would not stick well. The joints just didn’t have enough strength. When I switch to high, the glue would boil.

My solution, I put my glue gun on a dimmer switch. Now I can dial in what ever temp I want. I go for a temp that minimizes the drips from a sitting gun.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Mine only has hot oven hot. (high temp gun)
Ambient room temp plays a big part in time to set. on the nights were AC is cranking and room temp is low 72°F. to cools quick. in the winter @ 78°F I have a noticeably longer time. especially on the thing glue beads.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I also have a Adtech glue gun. Mine is a cheap corded one from Walmart. For me, the low temp setting was not hot enough, the glue would not stick well. The joints just didn’t have enough strength. When I switch to high, the glue would boil.

My solution, I put my glue gun on a dimmer switch. Now I can dial in what ever temp I want. I go for a temp that minimizes the drips from a sitting gun.
That's a heck of an idea, mine only has one temp. I plug and unplug it to keep me in my temp range because if I leave it plugged to reach full temp the glue will melt the foam.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My $5 Adtech hi-temp glue gun is perfect. It doesn’t meant foam board but is hot enough to do just about all steps they do with the pro 200, which I do plan on getting.