Hot Wire Foam cut Viggen

CheapThrillz

This was my first time using a hot wire, I used the link for the formers from Flite Test, printed and traced the onto sheets of balsa wood and within an hour had the pieces cut and glued together, before I knew it I had the fuselage complete and it was ready for sanding, after a lot of sanding I used light spackel and covered the entire plane, another round of sanding and the viggen is lighter and stronger than I thought, now I'm just waiting on my EDF package from Grayson so I'll post more as this project comes along. One thing I am excited for issued of adding a paper tube inside the rear to reduce drag from the edf I 3d printed a 70mm tube (added strength)and wired it with red L.E.D.'s to give the look of after burners.

Attachments

• rps20150620_171935.jpg
    rps20150620_171935.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 15
  • rps20150620_172002.jpg
    rps20150620_172002.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 15
  • rps20150620_172029.jpg
    rps20150620_172029.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 31

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
That is some really nice work.

Did you diy your own hotwire cutter or buy one?

CheapThrillz

Haha, I love having a 3d printer, I'm printing canards for the viggen now hopefully my plan works and I'll have realistic working canards!

skymaster

Elite member
This was my first time using a hot wire, I used the link for the formers from Flite Test, printed and traced the onto sheets of balsa wood and within an hour had the pieces cut and glued together, before I knew it I had the fuselage complete and it was ready for sanding, after a lot of sanding I used light spackel and covered the entire plane, another round of sanding and the viggen is lighter and stronger than I thought, now I'm just waiting on my EDF package from Grayson so I'll post more as this project comes along. One thing I am excited for issued of adding a paper tube inside the rear to reduce drag from the edf I 3d printed a 70mm tube (added strength)and wired it with red L.E.D.'s to give the look of after burners.
how did you print de formers having a little difficult time printing them out.

WillL84

how did you print de formers having a little difficult time printing them out.

Seeing how this post is almost 7 years old at this point I'm not sure you'll get an answer lol. OP also hasn't been on the site since this last post.

skymaster

Elite member
Seeing how this post is almost 7 years old at this point I'm not sure you'll get an answer lol. OP also hasn't been on the site since this last post.
was not very interested in it back then. but it seems kind of a challenge.