Help! Hot wire Power supply

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I just built a hot wire cutter bow that uses 0.004" wire because of the accuracy of the cut. However I didn't factor in the resistance of the wire. At 12.6v it doesn't even heat up enough to feel it. As an experiment, I hooked up two 4s in series and was able to cut some foam although I don't want to just hook up these batteries without any regulation. My question is, is there a more appropriate/off the shelf way to power this setup?

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Here is a lot of good information regarding power supply for a hot wire cutter.
Spend a bit of time on his website looking around. He has all the necessary components and information to make any kind of cutter you want.

https://jacobs-online.biz/power_supply_design.htm
Thanks! My only issue with that design is that it uses a transformer and I don't have access to one. I've seen some variable dc regulators and lab power supplies on amazon and ebay at reasonable prices. Would these options work?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Thanks! My only issue with that design is that it uses a transformer and I don't have access to one. I've seen some variable dc regulators and lab power supplies on amazon and ebay at reasonable prices. Would these options work?
If they have enough capacity, they will work, it all depends on the needs of the wire you are trying to heat.
He sells the transformer, the nichrome wire, everything, his prices are great.
https://jacobs-online.biz/transformers.htm

I use one of his transformers, on a light dimmer switch, to drive my setup. I have several sizes of wire & several transformers to drive a variety of cutters. Some long, some short, some profile cutters, there is no one size fits all. I use the same dimmer switch setup to control the temperature of my hot glue gun when I’m not cutting foam. It keeps the gun from boiling the glue.

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
Comments: it is watts dissipated that makes the wire hot. I myself use a variac dialed down across a 100 amp bridge and .015 stainless steel safety wire, but YMMV. There used to be a wire cutter table online that offered sizes, diameters, and power requirements per inch. If you're doing a variable lab supply you'll need at least 10 amps continuous and short protection across the most voltage you can get.

chrisvdv

@BlockerAviation there is heaps of you tube videos and DIY articles on how to build your own variable step-down transformer out of old computer power supplies.

The price of a step-down transformer will be less than if you buy a variable transformer off the internet. I have been through that route. Go online and do a search for step-down transformers, but first use the jacobs-online article to find what rating and capacity you need. As I am from New Zealand I am not familiar with your electronics suppliers.

Chris