How about a scratch built discus launch glider?

serend

I have puttered around trying to use the Flite Test foamboard technology to come up with a discus launch glider, but haven't had much (well, any) success. Have you guys thought about that? I have built and modified several Simple Soarers (love that plane) and I keep thinking there ought to be a way to make a DLG.

Consider the gauntlet tossed on the table.

Serend

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
The only way I can see it working is if you make one long solid spar that has a hard point that attaches to the body. the wings will have to be thin almost profile thin to make it fly like a dlg

serend

Great ideas--thanks for pointing me to this link, guys!

I find the subject very interesting. It was recently discussed (discus-ed?) at great length here:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?12258-Contest-to-build-the-cheapest-DLG

There are videos showing working designs in the thread, too. Have a look!

I just knew there would be some pilgrims who have already been down this road--and I appreciate your pointing me this way. I'll be giving some of these ideas a try and will report any progress I'm able to make.

Serend

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I just knew there would be some pilgrims who have already been down this road--and I appreciate your pointing me this way. I'll be giving some of these ideas a try and will report any progress I'm able to make.

Serend

Good luck! I look forward to hearing about your progress.

MarshallX

It's rough, not going to lie. The major pain point I had was joint of wing and fuselage. Absolutely brutal to get that solid and firm without some sort of reinforcing material.

The most success I had was zip ties through the wing with a wood plate on the top and the bottom, but even that eventually failed.

Great way to get into DLG but definitely not something you build once and fly many times.

flyboa

Elite member
I have puttered around trying to use the Flite Test foamboard technology to come up with a discus launch glider, but haven't had much (well, any) success. Have you guys thought about that? I have built and modified several Simple Soarers (love that plane) and I keep thinking there ought to be a way to make a DLG.

Consider the gauntlet tossed on the table.

Serend
I have had some success. Not much of an FT plan but just a simple laminated foam wing mounted to a carbon tube. Spare electronics and a balsa tail completes the plane.

Good luck everyone.

20190905_122000.jpg

239346_0da4b445acce6cbaa355b575a79cd066.png

Last edited: