• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How about a scratch built discus launch glider?

serend

I have puttered around trying to use the Flite Test foamboard technology to come up with a discus launch glider, but haven't had much (well, any) success. Have you guys thought about that? I have built and modified several Simple Soarers (love that plane) and I keep thinking there ought to be a way to make a DLG.

Consider the gauntlet tossed on the table.

Serend

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
The only way I can see it working is if you make one long solid spar that has a hard point that attaches to the body. the wings will have to be thin almost profile thin to make it fly like a dlg

serend

Great ideas--thanks for pointing me to this link, guys!

I find the subject very interesting. It was recently discussed (discus-ed?) at great length here:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?12258-Contest-to-build-the-cheapest-DLG

There are videos showing working designs in the thread, too. Have a look!
I just knew there would be some pilgrims who have already been down this road--and I appreciate your pointing me this way. I'll be giving some of these ideas a try and will report any progress I'm able to make.

Serend

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I just knew there would be some pilgrims who have already been down this road--and I appreciate your pointing me this way. I'll be giving some of these ideas a try and will report any progress I'm able to make.

Serend
Good luck! I look forward to hearing about your progress.

It's rough, not going to lie. The major pain point I had was joint of wing and fuselage. Absolutely brutal to get that solid and firm without some sort of reinforcing material.

The most success I had was zip ties through the wing with a wood plate on the top and the bottom, but even that eventually failed.

Great way to get into DLG but definitely not something you build once and fly many times.