How about an episode about autonomous flight?

ik04

I am really interested in autonomous autopilot systems, such as the ardupilot. It would be great to see you guys set up a quadcopter with telemetry and use the mission planner to fly out of line of sight range. FPV is not even needed, because you can track the progress of the copter on the computer screen. I would do it myself, but I don't have a quad or any radio gear to start with...

Thanks!

Kevin

JasonEricAnderson

They did ArduPilot Mega 2.5 - Review

But in that episode the didn't really plot out a mission for the quad with waypoints, it was more about the RTL and holding features of the system.

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
It would be great to have the guys pioneer a build with a Hex and the HKPilot alone and then with any optional components like the GPS module needed to really trick the craft out. Most of us can't afford to buy a tricked out system right off the bat, so it would be useful to know what the base unit provides and what else is needed for the additional features like return to launch, loiter, waypoints, etc. A component list with links would allow us to keep track of the cost. I saw one site that had rll links to HobbyKing so that the component list prices were always up-to-date.

I don't want much from Flite Test, do I?

RoyBro

Mentor
Brain in overdrive...

Have David repeat his glider to space and back with the ArduPilot or HKPilot to really test out the return to launch feature.

Can you trigger actions like the release mechanism based on altitude?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Roybro,

Agreed, but . . .

w/o a GPS, all the board could do is self level -- pretty much what the KK boards do now. you need good position (GPS) to account for drift to do neat things like loiter or RTB. In the Rotor-bones episode, it was mentioned starting w/ a KK and moving up to the autopilot boards. Hate to go without good features, but it seems like fair advice to me.

Now the "Homing Robot Pilot from Space" sounds like an awesome episode idea! +1!

RoyBro

Mentor
I agree that GPS is pretty much essential. Perhaps then the comparison should be between the $20 GPS and the $50 GPS. That way someone can decide if they need to get the base controller with the $20 right away, or start with just the base controller and get stabilization, then save up for the $50 GPS. I hate to have a $20 part that's been replaced sitting in my parts box.

Or even if the $50 GPS does anything for you that the $20 GPS doesn't.

RB

JasonEricAnderson

I'm wondering if you could use the pan tilt that David built and set programmed camera moves to happen at specific waypoints? You could plot an arial tour in software and have the Ardupilot equipped copter go and shoot the footage.

Or, thinking of how David circled the 3D guys flying over the lake at Joe Nall...

Imagine if you had a gymbal camera copter and could plot out your camera platform's waypoints, like circle the lake, or do a flyby from here to here. And when you activate the mission flight path you could then focus on camera controls, the platform would be flying itself. Once you have your footage you flip on RTL and it comes back.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
@Roybro,

That is a good idea!

hook up different GPS modules to the same autopilot, tell it to loiter and see how far it will drift -- effectivly test the GPS's Circular Area, Probable (CEP). There should be good tradeoffs between $$$ & performance, so what are they exactly? I like it!

@Jason,

you know, that's the first practial application of multiple waypoints I've heard so far -- be nice to see the FT guys give it a go. (Would David be willing to become the passsenger on his own multi-rotor? Would the autopilot swoosh through the air like he does? Be interesting to see . . . )