How are the long e-z’s wings shaped?

Jakedews4

I am currently trying to build my first DIY plane and have ordered all my electronics. Now all i have to do is build a plane. I chose the long e-z because it’s small enough for the space I have and it’s super simple. Everything seems pretty straight forward right now except for the wings. How do you make a miniature curve in the long e-z’s wings? Or is it just flat foam board? If it is just flat foam board then how does it get lift? Sorry for all the questions I’ve never built anything from foam board and could use the help.

ScratchBuildMast

Elite member
I am currently trying to build my first DIY plane and have ordered all my electronics. Now all i have to do is build a plane. I chose the long e-z because it’s small enough for the space I have and it’s super simple. Everything seems pretty straight forward right now except for the wings. How do you make a miniature curve in the long e-z’s wings? Or is it just flat foam board? If it is just flat foam board then how does it get lift? Sorry for all the questions I’ve never built anything from foam board and could use the help.
Flat foam for the first question. It gets lift from Newton's law of motion, every action has an equal opposite reaction. meaning wind hits the wing and pushes it up. Hope that helps!

ScratchBuildMast

Elite member
Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Jakedews4

Thanks, I guess I just always thought a plane wing had to be a certain shape to create lift. I am glad I figured that out before I tried to shape the wing.

Jakedews4

Yes, this will be my first plane that uses any control surfaces instead of differential thrust. That’s why I didn’t understand the lift or control.

Headbang

Master member
Yes, this will be my first plane that uses any control surfaces instead of differential thrust. That’s why I didn’t understand the lift or control.
The longez is by no means a good starter plane. It is quite a handful to fly even for experienced pilots. Make sure to reinforce the wing and canards with bbq skewers, both fold pretty easy without. Keep your throws low until you are comfortable, it is very responsive otherwise.
Good luck! If it all goes wrong do not get discouraged, same electronics work in all the mini designs!

Jakedews4

Because it is my first DIY plane and will likely break in the first 2 flights I will be making them from foam board first then I might try a different model from flight test already laser cut.