How Can I Power A Pre-AC/DC Converted Computer Monitor Using A 12V LiPo Battery?

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
I have finally found the last needed piece of my FPV set-up (someone was throwing it out).

It is a very nice Dell LCD computer monitor that I have confirmed to work with all my equipment, and I would love to rush right out to the field, and try my hand at the FPV experience...

However, the power cord is not a converter type power supply, but instead a three prong direct 10A 125V cord, so I assume the converter is internal.

If anyone could instruct me how to modify it to be powered by my 12V LiPo power source, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you, :)

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
On the data panel of the charger, what does it list as the output?

The other option is to do a inverter.

Q7dB4IryDaCq_KtdxsAw86rgwv_BAri89VjuekP_aJq176vMSA64anTowN3GVsb0BMuIIyZ46ORiSEqrhp_mKSJQpf0sW8XzsYLBwVZeJOHCuVCe-oEpXrQ3MilDgepN_Re8i7wDD8ETtJ_7MZu8BFs64DA2esNVoVEdiuZ66hglwqrVWe0Bqv61SsRf2GFJZYspDU4=s220-c

Then wire up a a cigarette socket to your battery connector of choice.

265-570_l.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
If anyone could instruct me how to modify it to be powered by my 12V LiPo power source, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you, :)

Could you take the back plastic panel off and take a picture? That would help a lot :p

Brand/Model could also help.

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
On the data panel of the charger, what does it list as the output?

The other option is to do a inverter.

Then wire up a a cigarette socket to your battery connector of choice.

I'm not sure what charger you are referring to?

As for the inverter, I had considered that, and just using the power from my car battery to flying from right outside of my vehicle, but your cigarette plug idea may give me the mobility I was wanting in the first place. I would still like to keep this is a last resort though.

Could you take the back plastic panel off and take a picture? That would help a lot :p

Brand/Model could also help.

Dell / IN1910Nf

Picture 2.png Picture 3.png Picture 4.png Picture 5.png

lonewolf7717

Simplest would be a cheap little inverter keeping in mind amp requirements for LCD. Great use for those hobbyking b grade lipos, 5000mah.Would also buy a cheap little balance plug voltage checker to leave on lipo while LCD is in use. The cheaper, cleaner option would be to find on the board where power is regulated down to 12vdc....if even 12v...it could be 5v, 7v or 9v and direct connect to that point bypassing 110vac input altogether. This would be far more technical though with the downside of possibly blowing something up.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hmmm... That's a bit more than I expected to see (I'm a tinkerer, not an engineer). I'd go with FlyingMonkey's method as I wouldn't want to break your stuff.

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Sorry, but I have a few more questions... The monitor has "AC100-240V,50-60Hz,1.2A(1,2A)" on the back.

I already have a Black & Decker inverter that has an output rating of 115V AC, 60Hz. 100 Watts (It also says "CAUTION: OUTPUT NONSINUSOIDAL.") Could that be sufficient for this monitor?

lonewolf7717

Do you have a max amp rating on that inverter??? Course if I wasn't so lazy guess I could do the math....ugh 115vac x 500watts = 4.3 amps....yup you are good at 1.2amp LCD draw....but keep in mind those cheaper inverters although capable of 500watts and labeled as such come from factory with a 2-3amp fast burn fuse or trip so idiots won't blow the inverter up and return it under warranty. But here is the catch and this is an area I hope someone with more knowledge will step in....1.2amp at 115vac is pretty high when converted over to 12vdc supply. Every way I try the math I come up with 12-13amp DC including inverter latent requirements.....that seems awful high to me....13amp sucked from lipo supply....that means a 5000mah minding 80% rule will be outta juice in 18min. The NONSINUSOIDAL caution is common boilerplate on all those inverters....has to do with sine waveforms....lots of complexities that aren't worth a fuss.

Last edited:

lonewolf7717

OH WAIT i did that all wrong....I totally pulled 500watt inverter outta my butt....you are stating it is a 100w.....that won't even work....that LCD screen is a 138watt device....but again that seems WAY HIGH to me....but the math don't lie. Your inverter won't have the umph required

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Thanks to everyone for trying to help (and to lonewolf7717 for doin' the math).

I think before I spend the money on a new more powerful inverter, and lighter plug, I will just pick up a cheap new monitor that has the converter type plug already for simplicity's sake.

One final question though, when shopping for my new monitor how will I be able to determine if it is the type that switches to "The blue screen of death" or not?

Is there a term that might be in the description for the proper type of monitor?

lonewolf7717

Some one over on rcgroups compiled a list of "blue screeners" to stay away from. The 7" and 10" Haier LCD are very popular and extremely blue screen resistant, few still floating around on eBay and amazon in used and refurbished condition for $59-$89. Readymaderc.com also has a screen brand new for $99. Lots of other options as I sure other guys will chime in