Help! How can I power up my receiver?

Fran Teryda

Hi! I am building a homemade 1 meter dlg and i have to power up my receiver and 2 servos. I have the Turnigy 5x transmitter and it´s receiver works with a Voltage between 4.8 and 6V. Which (lightweight) battery should i use? i would like to use those 1s lipos, but they are only 3,7 V and they also have a different connector than my receiver. What should buy? Thanks

PD: This is the receiver i have, hope it helps
Screenshot (52).png

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Your going to need a voltage regulator, one to step up 1S to 5v or one to step down 2S to 5v. Or use a different type of battery.

Fran Teryda

Your going to need a voltage regulator, one to step up 1S to 5v or one to step down 2S to 5v. Or use a different type of battery.
Ok! I did not know those regulators existed, i am new to the hobby :D thanks. But which other type of battery can i use?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Ok! I did not know those regulators existed, i am new to the hobby :D thanks. But which other type of battery can i use?

The low initial cost route would be 4 AAA batteries. Before LiPo, we used NiCad or NiMH. LiPo with voltage regulator would be lighter.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Another lightweight alternative would be to get two small 1S LiPos and just wire them together in series. Make a poor man's 2S. I have a 400 mAh pack sitting around from a long dead toy drone that can't be much larger than a quarter. Doesn't get much lighter.

d8veh

Elite member
Another lightweight alternative would be to get two small 1S LiPos and just wire them together in series. Make a poor man's 2S. I have a 400 mAh pack sitting around from a long dead toy drone that can't be much larger than a quarter. Doesn't get much lighter.
I think 2S lipos voltage is too high for what he wants. That's why it has to be LiFePO4.

Fran Teryda

Thanks for your help guys! I ended up ordering a small 2s lipo with a voltage regulator. It only weights 36 grams, so i think tats good for me. As soon as it arrives i will post how it ended up working!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Have you tried a single 1s lipo?

I've found that many rx's and servos run effectively at voltages well below the published spec. All but one of my dlgs run 1s, and the one that doesn't has old (10 yo) servos that brownout around 4.5v. Most modern gear is designed for lower voltages and will run on a 1s pack well down to 40% full (or lower) and these airframes sip power -- using 60% of the pack still yields hours of flight time.

Give it a try. Worst thing that can happen is nothing at all. Best, saves fussing with an extra regulator.

Gazoo

Hi! I am building a homemade 1 meter dlg and i have to power up my receiver and 2 servos. I have the Turnigy 5x transmitter and it´s receiver works with a Voltage between 4.8 and 6V. Which (lightweight) battery should i use? i would like to use those 1s lipos, but they are only 3,7 V and they also have a different connector than my receiver. What should buy? Thanks

PD: This is the receiver i have, hope it helps
View attachment 118083
I power up my receivers using a portable USB charger. I cut apart a USB cable and soldered an old servo cable to the 5V. Here is a pic of mine running a servo tester. I can unplug from the servo tester and plug into a receiver to bind and check the servos.

This one is not rechargeable and runs on 4 AA batteries. I have one that is rechargeable but find that it just does not have the amperage needed when the servos move.
Servo Tester.JPG

I have also plugged it into a 110 volt phone charger. Really anything with USB has worked so far.

I also use USB battery packs to run my cheap camera.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh man! I totally just realized that you are using it for a DLG. Sorry, this is not going to work for you. Way too heavy.

Fran Teryda

I power up my receivers using a portable USB charger. I cut apart a USB cable and soldered an old servo cable to the 5V. Here is a pic of mine running a servo tester. I can unplug from the servo tester and plug into a receiver to bind and check the servos.

This one is not rechargeable and runs on 4 AA batteries. I have one that is rechargeable but find that it just does not have the amperage needed when the servos move.
View attachment 118178

I have also plugged it into a 110 volt phone charger. Really anything with USB has worked so far.

I also use USB battery packs to run my cheap camera.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh man! I totally just realized that you are using it for a DLG. Sorry, this is not going to work for you. Way too heavy.
Haha! Anyway, thank you very much, i am sure a setup like that one will be useful in the future!