How can we Calibrate Hobbyking F20A Speed Controllers?

Rubico

Hello!
A friend and I set up a tricopter following the project posted by you and we have a big problem. http://flitetest.com/articles/tricopter-scratch-build
Every time we try to calibrate the ESCs kk2 board by following the instruction manual of the ESC happens the following error:
With the throttle lever all the way up we heard the beep setting and put the lever down. The ESC's another beep and that's where comes the problem: When we increase the trhottle engines do not rotate. The kk2 board is receiving the signal, but the engines do not rotate. We need this adjustment because the engines do not start simultaneously.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
tricky part about this -- you can't. the KK2 needs to calibrate the ESCs.

the procedure (for any kk2 rom, including 1.6 but not 1.6++) as follows:

- *REMOVE THE PROPS*

- turn on the TX, then move the throttle to full.

- *SIMULTANIOUSLY* (yes simultaneously. it's a pain to do. people have been taking to using weak clothspins) hold down button 1 and 4, then plug the copter in - DO NOT let go until you're done.

- when the kk2 boots, it will say some nonsense about ESC pass through -- it's lying, but the process is running.

- once the ESCs beep that they're ready, move the throttle to the minimum position, and the KK2 will send the bottom point and they'll arm.

- let go/remove cloths pins, and you're ready to go.

1.6++ is easier -- you don't even need the TX.
- plug it in while holding any button 1-3. Let go when it goes into cal mode.

- press button 4 after the ESCs have beeped that they're ready, and you're done - easy!

BTW, Rubico, Welcome to the forums!

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
if plugging in the battery is a problem while holding the buttons down, unplug the motor 1 ESC plug from the KK2 and then plug in your copter battery. Once that is plugged in hold down the buttons and plug in M1 ESC cable. the board will power up and it's easier than fighting the battery connection

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
if plugging in the battery is a problem while holding the buttons down, unplug the motor 1 ESC plug from the KK2 and then plug in your copter battery. Once that is plugged in hold down the buttons and plug in M1 ESC cable. the board will power up and it's easier than fighting the battery connection

Now that's just CHEATING!

(and a really good idea. Great idea Xuzme!)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I can't take credit for it. I saw someone doing on a video a while back. Unfortunately, the CRS has kicked in and I can't remember whose video it was. But it was a "eureka!" moment for me too...makes it SOOO much easier!