How do esc's work?

deltajet3

I have a problem not sure if it's my ESC or my receiver but my receiver doesn't turn on. My ESC only has 2 wires is this normal?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have a problem not sure if it's my ESC or my receiver but my receiver doesn't turn on. My ESC only has 2 wires is this normal?
Two wires on the servo plug?
If so, this is an opto ESC, that is one without a BEC. They are mostly used in quads, you could also use them in a multi motor plane. With multiple ESC’s it is important that only one supply power. If more than one suppliers power, you run the risk of the BEC fighting each other, one calling for higher voltage and one for lower voltage.

deltajet3

Two wires on the servo plug?
If so, this is an opto ESC, that is one without a BEC. They are mostly used in quads, you could also use them in a multi motor plane. With multiple ESC’s it is important that only one supply power. If more than one suppliers power, you run the risk of the BEC fighting each other, one calling for higher voltage and one for lower voltage.
ok that's what i thought can you recommend me a good 12a esc?

FDS

Elite member
I like the Hobbywing Skywalker ESC’s right now, I have 4 on various projects. They are not the smallest but are super reliable.
The new FliteTest ESC’s are supposed to be very good too, see the store.

tamuct01

If there are only 2 wires to the motor it is a brushed ESC and cannot work with brushless DC motors.

FDS

Elite member
I look for ones that are pre programmed for fixed wing, for example they have the low throttle overload protection already set. I have enough trouble setting up quads, I don’t need the hassle of trying to figure out ESC settings as well.