How do I connect individual LEDs to my receiver?

I have a few LEDs lying around, so I got the idea to put them onto my plane so I can fly at night. I want to connect my LEDs up to my FS-iA6B receiver, so I can control the lights using my transmitter. How can I so this?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I don't connect my LED's to the receiver, I just connect them directly to my 3S flight battery. I cut off the end of a balance extension and solder it to my LED's using the 2 outside pins. Now I just plug the LED's into the balance lead on the battery and go.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I have several LEDs that support up to 6V perfectly. I took them from an old flashlight.
I took a servo lead extension and i have connected the LEDs in parallel to the positive and negative wires respectively in one tip. and I have connected the other tip to chanel 5, same chanel i am using for flaps. It work pretty nice since the servos are fed with an output voltage of my receiver of between 4.8 and 6V.
diagrama.png
You must cut the yellow/white signal cable, u won't use it. You could also add a switch to turn on/off manualy the lights if you want.
This is a really cheap way to do it. You have to double check all the connections, otherwise a short circuit could occur and you will burn the receiver.
I did it whit my cessna using a Y lead for both, lights and Flaps and worked fine.
Hope it works for u.

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
If you buy the self adhesive Led strip it’s all set up for 3-4s voltages and can just run off the main battery.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Personally I see no reason to use a switch controlled by your radio for a night flight, instead of using a manual one. I very much doubt that you will try to turn the lights on and off during the flight. You'd miss the plane in an instant and it might be too late for you to turn the lights back on. :p
However, if you want to alternate between different sets of lights on your model, you need a switch that you can control through your radio.
It's just my opinion.

Last edited:
I have several LEDs that support up to 6V perfectly. I took them from an old flashlight.
I took a servo lead extension and i have connected the LEDs in parallel to the positive and negative wires respectively in one tip. and I have connected the other tip to chanel 5, same chanel i am using for flaps. It work pretty nice since the servos are fed with an output voltage of my receiver of between 4.8 and 6V.
View attachment 132529
You must cut the yellow/white signal cable, u won't use it. You could also add a switch to turn on/off manualy the lights if you want.
This is a really cheap way to do it. You have to double check all the connections, otherwise a short circuit could occur and you will burn the receiver.
I did it whit my cessna using a Y lead for both, lights and Flaps and worked fine.
Hope it works for u.
That works? Haven't actually tried it yet, but that's what I was thinking off as well - just plug the LEDs into the receiver and remove the signal wire. I just wasn't sure whether it would actually work, because I thought the receiver power that channel if it wasn't sending/getting a signal as well.

Personally I see no reason to use a switch controlled by your radio for a night flight, instead of using a manual one. I very much doubt that you will try to turn the lights on and off during the flight. You'd miss the plane in an instant and it might be too late for you to turn the lights back on. :p
However, if you want to alternate between different sets of lights on your model, you need a switch that you can control through your radio.
It's just my opinion.
Also, I know there's no practical reason of radio controlling the LEDs, but I still want to do it. Idk why, I guess it's just cooler.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
That works? Haven't actually tried it yet, but that's what I was thinking off as well - just plug the LEDs into the receiver and remove the signal wire. I just wasn't sure whether it would actually work, because I thought the receiver power that channel if it wasn't sending/getting a signal as well.

I tried and i can sure u that it really works. Receiver will power your LEDs with out any problems. ;)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Make sure you control the current going to the LEDs. If they don't have some sort of driver circuit, you will need a resistor in line to limit the current to a level that won't damage your LEDs or receiver.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Also, I know there's no practical reason of radio controlling the LEDs, but I still want to do it. Idk why, I guess it's just cooler.

I know it is cool :D.
An other cheap way to achive it is using a "pulse swhitch" like this
Micro-interruptor-.Switch.-con-palanca-de-lamina.-de-15-Amperes-y-125-Vca_x1.jpg

and use a servo to push it. You can use Flap chanel to do it. It is pretty easy to.
In this case u need to feed the LEDs directly form your battery

Captain Video

If you use the circuit cdfigueredo suggests, you can switch between two separate lights. When the micro switch is not engaged, one light is on
Micro.jpg
When the micro switch is engaged the other light is on. The switch is called single pole double throw. Sorry for the rudimentary drawing. That way using an RGB light strand you can use one color or another depending whether the switch is engaged or not.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Receiver will power your LEDs with out any problems.
It's actually the BEC (part of the ESC most likely) that is powering the receiver (and your LEDs.)

If you are just taking a couple LEDs on a 3 channel setup you are probably fine.
If however you are talking a string of LEDs then I would be seriously looking into a dedicated driver circuit for the LEDs.
(Over drawing the BEC can/will lead to brownouts and crashes...)

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I have two of those Lights. Those came in two colors, white and red. The point is that are powered by two 3V bateries, 6V. Those small lights have three settings: high beam, flashing, and blinking, so you can use it to make your own strobe lights. The silicon case can be removed, and you can open the lamp to adapt it to your plane.
71g58fkmioL._SL1500_.jpg

Captain Video

If you use a step down circuit, you can draw the power from the battery (I am assuming a 3S) to power a string rather just one light and now worry about a receiver brown out. Most led strings are 12 volts and would not require a step down.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
If you use a step down circuit, you can draw the power from the battery (I am assuming a 3S) to power a string rather just one light and now worry about a receiver brown out. Most led strings are 12 volts and would not require a step down.
You are right. Using the receiver to power LEDs will work fine for few LEDs. But few LEDs won't help u really much when u are flying during the night. Could work better for just decoration or flights in the sunset. By the other hand, some LED strips are recomended for better results. In that case u should power it directly form your battery.
However, you can still use the servo-operated switch to turn on the lights or switch between them.

It's OK, guys, I definitely won't draw enough current to burn out my ESC. I'm using 8 LEDs connected in parallel, each pulling no more than 20 mA. This means I will only draw 160 mA. Also, @cdfigueredo I think it will be enough to fly at night, as the LEDs are pretty bright, I spread them out evenly over the plane, so all parts are well lit up. Also, my plane is really small (a flying wing with a wingspan of about 70cm).

cdfigueredo

Elite member
It's OK, guys, I definitely won't draw enough current to burn out my ESC. I'm using 8 LEDs connected in parallel, each pulling no more than 20 mA. This means I will only draw 160 mA. Also, @cdfigueredo I think it will be enough to fly at night, as the LEDs are pretty bright, I spread them out evenly over the plane, so all parts are well lit up. Also, my plane is really small (a flying wing with a wingspan of about 70cm).

Nice to hear that :). U are right, for an small plane like yours and pretty bright LEDs everything should be fine. Hope u get it.
Stay safa and post some photos latter.