How do I flip a Quadcopter

CameraFlyVideo

Hello, this is my first time posting. I have been flying a Turbo Ace Matrix and a QX350 using a DX8 in manual mode. Is there a way I can program my controller to get my QX350 to flip like a mini indoor quad(ya know). Or is it strictly manual rudder and aileron stick movement. Or both.
Please Help...I am getting tired of just putting around the RC Park.
Best,
Davy

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Sorry, I'm fairly new to multirotors myself, but I would recommend practicing on a simulator first, if you can. Otherwise, get a couple mistakes high, and just make sure you're in manual or acro mode and try a flip on a single axis (pitch vs roll). That's how I'd do it. Just like doing acrobatics for the first time on a fixed wing airplane.

Oh, it wouldn't really be rudder control, by the way... that would be more like a "pirouette" or a spin -- you would use the pitch or roll sticks to do your flip (elevator and aileron in fixed wing terms).

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Davy,

Welcome to the forum!

The manuver is simple, but it takes a little nerve and practice (if you choke, you will crash).

- TURN OFF ANY AUTOLEVEL (you can flip in multiwii's "horizon" mode but for the first few times, you don't want it fighting you as it comes out of self level)
- make sure your rates/stick scaling are high enough to perform the manuver -- the faster you can roll/pitch, the better.
- first, get used to throttle pumps -- get into a stable hover, then punch the throttle to near full for 2-5s, and back off. descend and repeat until you feel comfortable with this

- ***when you're ready to break your quad into a million pieces*** do a throttle pump, and as you reach the top, as you back off throttle, give full hard elevator (or aileron)
-- as it rotates past 90 degrees your throttle should be down to about 1/4 -- **don't go lower!** if your ESCs shut off, you will crash.
-- As it rotates through 270 degrees begin your catch -- pump your throttle up to ~3/4
- as it comes level flatten her out and bring her back to a hover

- Repeat :D

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Ooo... that's definitely a great tutorial Dan! Yeah, listen to Dan. In fact, I'll be following that when I get the nerve up to try flipping. I'll just practice on my nanoqx, though!

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Flite Test did a video with David a while ago that explained how to flip a quadcopter and the effects of stick scaling. They also fly over an area with thick grass which minimizes damage if you do happen to crash.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Flite Test did a video with David a while ago that explained how to flip a quadcopter and the effects of stick scaling. They also fly over an area with thick grass which minimizes damage if you do happen to crash.

lol! Forgot about that video :eek:

Mak,

Picked that up from Matt Hall of Simplecopter fame -- looking at his videos, if it doesn't flip a 1/2 dozen times he wasn't trying :eek:

His method served me well, despite the fact I keep it at two flips or less (more and I end up stopping early/late and complete a notorious 1/2 flip). Get the nano flipping and the bigger frames are a cinch :cool:

CameraFlyVideo

Nice! Thanks for the help everyone including Mr. Josh. I have moved my Expo aileron and elevator up to 40. I will practice with my little 1SQ that I took to camera off of and move up to my larger QX350. I'll let y'all know if I am successful.
Thanks again,
Davy

CameraFlyVideo

Status update: 1 1SQ indoor quad (CCDcamera removed) down without a successful flip. I was flying it full speed into stairs, hardwood floors...people...I guess I should try with a ladybird or something indoor/outdoor. Then, find some grass and try again.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I was kinda wondering if the 1SQ could fly full acro, b ut I've never played with one and couldn't find anythign but "it flies great" describing *how* it flew. I know the NanoQX and 180QX can switch to full acro but I didn't know of any other micro-or-smaller quad that could.

Most quads with a self-level feature also have an angle limit as well. While that aids stability tremendously, it makes a manual flip nearly impossible.

. . . and indoors, I hesitate to even flip my ProtoX. With learning to flip, altitude is your friend.

coppercanyon

I started flipping my OPQ with KK2.5 board loaded with stevis firmware last week. I increased my stick scaling to 100 in pitch and roll values. It flipped easily. This weekend I actually did a double flip. Had about 5 feet to spare above ground after completing. It is definately more fun now. Next is diagonal flips. I did a couple by accident.