How do I hook up 2 motors for a plane?

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
So I'm building a RC hovercraft just as a 1 day build thing. I'm just real curious on how on a Spektrum DX6e how to hook up two motors (without differential) even if you could tell me how to do differential I could probably figure it out from there. Unfortunately, I don't have a dual XT-30 Y harness so I'm forced to use 2 batteries for this.

Crow929

Two batteries is fine, though there is a possibility of having one motor receiving more/less juice than the other resulting in unintended performance issues. You'll need a Y lead coming from your receiver so both speed controls receive the same input. (Also, it's good practice to remove the one power lead from your speed controller so there aren't two power sources trying to feed your receiver) Hopefully that was clear.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
As @The Hangar said, use a Y harness to connect the Rx to the 2 ESC's. You should remove the Positive wire from 1 of the Y harness or ESC. The idea is to prevent both BEC's from fighting each other. One calling for more voltage and one calling for less.

For differential thrust, eliminate the Y harness and plug your ESC's into separate channels on the Rx. You'll need add 3 mixes, Th1 to Th2, Rudder to Th1 and -Rudder to Th2.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Ok thanks guys! By the way, if for instance I want to put the positive back in to the ESC in order to fly a single engine Airplane, can I or would I have to go get a new ESC?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Ok thanks guys! By the way, if for instance I want to put the positive back in to the ESC in order to fly a single engine Airplane, can I or would I have to go get a new ESC?
It is possible you would need a new ESC. It's possible as @The Hangar suggested to "put the pin back ".

My recommendation, remove the positive wire from one side of Y harness. Or remove the pin or cut the wire in a short servo extension. Either way, leave the ESC alone.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I just realized on my mini evangel project that I was using a y harness without removing the positive connector. They were matching esc’s but maybe something weird went on. The pilot has over 40 years of experience in rc airplanes, so I was kinda surprised that he crashed after it seemed to be doing so well... Maybe I’ll pick up a few more servos and give this another shot, but first I want to build one that is about as big as the ft guinea pig. I have the bi go guinea pig and I feel like the electronics in an an evangel with the low wing and everything would make for a super scale and enjoyable experience.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I just realized on my mini evangel project that I was using a y harness without removing the positive connector. They were matching esc’s but maybe something weird went on. The pilot has over 40 years of experience in rc airplanes, so I was kinda surprised that he crashed after it seemed to be doing so well... Maybe I’ll pick up a few more servos and give this another shot, but first I want to build one that is about as big as the ft guinea pig. I have the bi go guinea pig and I feel like the electronics in an an evangel with the low wing and everything would make for a super scale and enjoyable experience.
I so want the guinea pig! Unfortunately my projects take up too much room. The Viggen (when it's built) will have to hang from my ceiling for storage!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I so want the guinea pig! Unfortunately my projects take up too much room. The Viggen (when it's built) will have to hang from my ceiling for storage!
If you have to hang your viggen on the ceiling, don’t build a big guinea pig. I would highly recommend a mini guinea pig though. Those are tiny and an absolute blast to fly! Did you see my video on my guinea pig? You can see the size when I am launching it. I read really awkward to launch😂

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
If you have to hang your viggen on the ceiling, don’t build a big guinea pig. I would highly recommend a mini guinea pig though. Those are tiny and an absolute blast to fly! Did you see my video on my guinea pig? You can see the size when I am launching it. I read really awkward to launch😂
Well I have a big roof... :)