Help! How do I improve fpv camera quality?

FDS

Elite member
I thought you said you had EV800d goggles? They have antenna diversity. The EV800 is the single antenna version.
if you are going to continue going beyond line of sight then safety should be the primary concern, which means a ground station as suggested above, along with a better receiver module to go in it and means of linking the ground station to your display/goggles. If you put the receiver antenna higher off the ground, the signal will be better, that’s why ground stations are used, as you can put them where reception is best, unlike goggles on your head.
Doing long range safely is expensive, there’s no way around that other than to fly less distance with cheaper gear.
Note also points on legality, with restrictions in place on pilots the authorities will be looking to hammer some poor schmuck to make a point, don’t let it be you.
Also, no point in looking at anything until you have thoroughly tested the components of your existing system. It could just be a $15 antenna...

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I thought you said you had EV800d goggles? They have antenna diversity. The EV800 is the single antenna version.
if you are going to continue going beyond line of sight then safety should be the primary concern, which means a ground station as suggested above, along with a better receiver module to go in it and means of linking the ground station to your display/goggles. If you put the receiver antenna higher off the ground, the signal will be better, that’s why ground stations are used, as you can put them where reception is best, unlike goggles on your head.
Doing long range safely is expensive, there’s no way around that other than to fly less distance with cheaper gear.
Note also points on legality, with restrictions in place on pilots the authorities will be looking to hammer some poor schmuck to make a point, don’t let it be you.
Also, no point in looking at anything until you have thoroughly tested the components of your existing system. It could just be a $15 antenna...
I'm using an LRS with the plane and a PIXHAWK flight controller so if I end up losing signal, and I shouldn't because I don't plan on flying farther than a mile, I have return to home enabled. Really my concern is what would be my best option for a receiver as far as a ground station goes or would I be able to achieve long range with diversity goggles and a patch antenna?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Furious FPV Dock King $78 (comes with cable for your headset)
Furious FPV True D 3 module $68
Pole/tripod
Add your directional and omni antennas

It's this simple..... Just sayin'
DockKingGroundSetup.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

Ihichi Bolls

Just for general knowlege...

You do know a ham licence is required for the power levels and gear you are using right?

If you notice in Litterbugs videos testing his ground station he displays his call sign as is required. It technically only has to spam at certain time intervals but having it up as part of the osd is a better way.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Just for general knowlege...

You do know a ham licence is required for the power levels and gear you are using right?

If you notice in Litterbugs videos testing his ground station he displays his call sign as is required. It technically only has to spam at certain time intervals but having it up as part of the osd is a better way.
I'm flying at 600mw

Ihichi Bolls

Anything over 25mw HAM is required.

Many people fly without with no problems. Just beaware as the FAA is putting more and more dield agents on staff and are getting serious about enforcement.

If they get you flying long range they will tack on more charges for non licenced radio operation.

Reactions: FDS

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Anything over 25mw HAM is required.

Many people fly without with no problems. Just beaware as the FAA is putting more and more dield agents on staff and are getting serious about enforcement.

If they get you flying long range they will tack on more charges for non licenced radio operation.
Actually, 99% of VTXes require a HAM license, even at .00001 watt. Only a handful of them are FCC certified and registered. Anything with a removeable antenna has not been certified, since it has to be certified as a complete unit.

LB

Ihichi Bolls

I know..

I just stated 25mw as most of the crappy aios everyone uses are the norm and a lot of those are legal even tho they have an effective range under 20 meters just to keep the conversation simple.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I know..

I just stated 25mw as most of the crappy aios everyone uses are the norm and a lot of those are legal even tho they have an effective range under 20 meters just to keep the conversation simple.

Not to be a buzz kill, but 99% of those have not been certified either. Unless you see a product advertised that it IS FCC approved, and it has a FCC sticker on it, you should assume that it isn't. Companies just don't want to spend the time and money to get these low $$ toys certified. Even the Blade Inductrix FPV has a small blurb about needing a HAM license to use the VTX in North America.

InductrixHAM.png

I'm not here to be an enforcer, just to make people aware of reality. Chances are, you are not going to get in trouble for running these 25mw and even other VTXes; However, if you cause mayhem on the airwaves, somebody can come after you. The more power you use, the more likely you can cause mayhem.

When you step up to DJI (for example), you will find FCC Compliance information in the manuals.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Not to be a buzz kill, but 99% of those have not been certified either. Unless you see a product advertised that it IS FCC approved, and it has a FCC sticker on it, you should assume that it isn't. Companies just don't want to spend the time and money to get these low $$ toys certified. Even the Blade Inductrix FPV has a small blurb about needing a HAM license to use the VTX in North America.

View attachment 144565

I'm not here to be an enforcer, just to make people aware of reality. Chances are, you are not going to get in trouble for running these 25mw and even other VTXes; However, if you cause mayhem on the airwaves, somebody can come after you. The more power you use, the more likely you can cause mayhem.

When you step up to DJI (for example), you will find FCC Compliance information in the manuals.

Cheers!
LitterBug
As a glider pilot I am very aware of what it means to be a responsible pilot. I have enough aeronautical knowledge to stay safe and I do not plan on taking any risks. This setup is to get better images of my families property and I do not plan on flying over anyone's private property. All of my flights will take place over corn fields and farms in the middle of nowhere. I'm not trying to gloat or be rude in this comment I just want to make sure that people know that I am doing everything to be a safe pilot.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
As a glider pilot I am very aware of what it means to be a responsible pilot. I have enough aeronautical knowledge to stay safe and I do not plan on taking any risks. This setup is to get better images of my families property and I do not plan on flying over anyone's private property. All of my flights will take place over corn fields and farms in the middle of nowhere. I'm not trying to gloat or be rude in this comment I just want to make sure that people know that I am doing everything to be a safe pilot.

Yup, and I never intended to infer otherwise. Just wanted to clarify what @Ihichi Bolls was referring to.

Cheers!
LitterBug