How Do I know if I Can Fly a Rc Airplane With past Experience of Other RCs

RainbowderpHG

I am Working on a Boeing 757-222 Scale 1/19.
And That will be a Huge project for me but before I Even Start to fly it i am going to buy or build cheap small airplanes to get better at Flying. I Have had past Experience with Drones and helicopters and a air hogs Airplane. I Know how to fly, I am Really good with drone and Helicopters, I used an rc Airplane Simulator. So With those Experiences with Drone and Helicopter and Rc plane Simulators should I doFine when flying a Rc Airplane?

Dante

I think you should be fine with an airplane, but I wouldn't start with a giant edf plane. It seems like you don't have extreme budgetary restrictions so you should get a flite test kit or two before trying to build and fly your own 757. Also, when you fly the 757 the first time, get an experienced pilot to fly it first. They will know if it is balanced and trimmed correctly.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Dante you would be better off starting with a more forgiving plane. The simple cub, bushwhacker, tiny trainer, storch & explorer all make great first planes. Everyone crashes their first few planes.

Headbang

Master member
I know a bunch of drone pilots. I took a 20yr break from from planes, but actively flew drones and helis. I could do just about anything with a heli. But like the drone pilots I know, when I got back into planes, i sucked. I got a timber and carefully got back to flying. 50ish flights later I was doing ok and transitioned into a super sportster (good low wing trainer). 100 flights later I went to a hangar 9 sbach. Each step along the way I sucked at the next step. Simulator helped of course, was the reason all the planes survived, but lots of hard landings, close calls, and learning how to fly at height. Now I will fly anything, 3yrs and a good 1000 flights later. A 757 will require some skill. Best to get or build a trainer, then transition up from there. I suggest an explorer with the sport wing. Then move up to a forgiving twin like a seaduck or Guinea pig. A low wing warbird would be a good idea too to get used to flying scale. If going bnf route, start with timber, then commander, then the new twin cargo plane. And all the while put 1000 flights on the sim with wind turned up and turbulence.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I am Working on a Boeing 757-222 Scale 1/19.
And That will be a Huge project for me but before I Even Start to fly it i am going to buy or build cheap small airplanes to get better at Flying. I Have had past Experience with Drones and helicopters and a air hogs Airplane. I Know how to fly, I am Really good with drone and Helicopters, I used an rc Airplane Simulator. So With those Experiences with Drone and Helicopter and Rc plane Simulators should I doFine when flying a Rc Airplane?
No. :) Or more honestly, how could you or we know? The muscle memory learned on the sims is indeed invaluable. You're experience with your other flying really doesn't translate, I'm afraid.

The only way to know if you are ready to fly, is to build something and try to fly it. It just makes sense that you start with something simple, before you try to put your wonderful vision into the air.

I recommend starting with the Tiny Trainer. You can build it from scratch in an evening. Then take it out and fly it. That will answer your question and leave no doubts.

It's easy, cheap and painless. It will answer your question. Keep us posted as to what you do. Myself and many others are more than willing to help! :)

Ihichi Bolls

I can fly the bearings out of quads. I struggle with fixed wing. I call it quad brain as instincts are trained backwards.

I kill power when in trouble on fixed wing when I should be powering out or thru what ever is happening. I forget Im not flying 100mph plus missles.

Most of my issues I have learned are just tip stalls not lack of skill.