Help! How do I set up my electronics?

prendon66

I bought a 30 amp esc, and my teacher let me borrow a 4.8 nimh battery, but I bought a 11.1 volt battery. I'm trying to figure out how to connect it to my reciever which can take a max voltage of 6 volts. I'll post pictures.

Attachments

• 15559587858674949834259222991409.jpg
    15559587858674949834259222991409.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 15559588353553783412050962098980.jpg
    15559588353553783412050962098980.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

IcedStorm777

You will plug the motor to the ESC through the 3 bullet connectors so there will be 3 connections between the motor and ESC. Then the servo lead (the small wire in the second pic that attaches to the yellow esc) will plug into the reciever on the port that says power or bat or if it is numbered then 1. The esc will send a certain amount of power to the reviever but it will send very little power to the reviever. The battery size doesn't matter as long as you have a good ESC. Good luck!

Crazy Goats

So the little 3 wired thing that splits off of the ESC (it sticks out to the left in the pic) with a servo connection on the end is what needs to be plugged into your Receiver. Plug it in where it says "channel 3". And to make sure you have it plugged in correctly, refer to the little symbols underneath channel 1. Those 3 symbols tell you how stuff needs to be plugged in; "-" means ground, "+" means power, and that "s" means signal. Now on the esc wire, yellow means signal, red means power, black means ground. ALWAYS. This is pretty much universal in RC, though yellow(signal) is sometimes substituted with white, red (Power) can sometimes be orange, and the black wire can be brown. So always make sure to have the servo wire plugged in correctly, not reversed.

As for the rest of the electronics, the three blue leads on the ESC plug into the three motor wires, and the battery then connects to the ESC at the battery connector (oppposite end as the blue wires). BTW those fat red connectors you have are called Deans generally. Sometimes T-plug. Your servos plug into the receiver the same way the ESC does. Again, you want them to be installed correctly.

Painless 360 on youtube has a lot of great informational videos you will probably find useful in the future, so here's a link to his channel. If you go in his playlists you can find some playlists devoted to "common rc questions" or "setting up your electronics" or something like that. Very useful. https://www.youtube.com/user/Painless360/featured

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Don't use the receiver battery (4.8V) at the same time you are using the ESC. Your ECS will supply power to you Rx. The receiver battery is not needed for flight, you would only use it to power your Rx for testing on the bench, if you did not want to plug in the Flight pack. Never have both batteries plugged in at the same time.

With FlySky, the ESC will be pluged into channel 3, throttle, I believe with Spectrum throttle is channel1.

Regarding servo/ESC wires, red is always positive, the darkest color (black or brown) is negative, the lightest color (white or yellow) is the signal.

Regarding the motor. Do all testing with the prop OFF. The 3 wires can be plugged-in in any order. The motor will spin the correct direction or not. If it spins the wrong direction, switch any two wires. When you do install the prop, the numbers always go to the front, the direction the plane will travel. If you put a prop on backward, you will only get about 40% of the expected thrust.

Last edited:

Crazy Goats

Don't use the receiver battery (4.8V) at the same time you are using the ESC. Your ECS will supply power to you Rx. The receiver battery is not needed for flight, you would only use it to power your Rx for testing on the bench, if you did not want to plug in the Flight pack. Never have both batteries plugged in at the same time.

With FlySky, the ESC will be pluged into channel 3, throttle, I believe with Spectrum throttle is channel1.

Regarding servo/ESC wires, red is always positive, the darkest color (black or brown) is negative, the lightest color (white or yellow) is the signal.
Thanks for correcting that, I only use spektrum so I wasn't sure.

davidkdk

In addition to the excellent advice given in this thread, FliteTest has a beginner video series that cover this stuff... 10 videos in all. Highly recommended. Head over to their YouTube Channel to find it.

prendon66

Regarding the motor. Do all testing with the prop OFF. The 3 wires can be plugged-in in any order. The motor will spin the correct direction or not. If it spins the wrong direction, switch any two wires. When you do install the prop, the numbers always go to the front, the direction the plane will travel. If you put a prop on backward, you will only get about 40% of the expected thrust.
After I plug everything in the motor starts to beep and move a bit, is this supposed to happen? And how do I get the transmitter to talk to the receiver?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
After I plug everything in the motor starts to beep and move a bit, is this supposed to happen? And how do I get the transmitter to talk to the receiver?
Sounds like the Rx need to be bound to the Tx. It will have a slowly flashing red light.

Always remove the prop before binding. Your Rx will either have a bind button or a bind plug. Install the plug into any channel OR press and hold the bind button, then turn on the Rx. A red light in the RX will now flash quickly. Now put you Tx in bind mode and turn it on. Your Tx will either have a bind button (press & hold while turning on) on the back OR a bind mode in the menu. It may take 30 seconds or so for the bind. When bound, the red light will go quit flashing and turn on solid. Then turn off the Rx then the Tx, this will get then out of bind mode. Remove the bind plug if necessary. Now turn on the Tx then the Rx, you should now have control.

It's good idea to always turn Tx on first then Rx. When shutting down, Rx first then Tx. This is to prevent the Rx from accidently (from a stray radio wave) starting the motor. The only exception is when binding, then power on Rx first then Tx.

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
With regards to binding the receiver to the transmitter, you may need use a "bind plug" that came with the receiver. It looks like the plug that you have on servos or the ESC, but it's got a loop of wire that connects two of the pins inside the plug together. That will need to be on the B/VCC pins during the bind process. Once you have that connected, connect your ESC, then connect your battery to the ESC, and lastly, attempt binding to your receiver through either the bind menu in the transmitter or by holding the bind button on your transmitter when you power it on.

One thing to be aware of - make sure you are a few feet away from the receiver when powering on the transmitter. I have experienced numerous binding failures with different brands of equipment due to being too close to the receiver, and just stepping a few feet away has made a world of difference in getting it to bind.

prendon66

With regards to binding the receiver to the transmitter, you may need use a "bind plug" that came with the receiver. It looks like the plug that you have on servos or the ESC, but it's got a loop of wire that connects two of the pins inside the plug together. That will need to be on the B/VCC pins during the bind process. Once you have that connected, connect your ESC, then connect your battery to the ESC, and lastly, attempt binding to your receiver through either the bind menu in the transmitter or by holding the bind button on your transmitter when you power it on.

One thing to be aware of - make sure you are a few feet away from the receiver when powering on the transmitter. I have experienced numerous binding failures with different brands of equipment due to being too close to the receiver, and just stepping a few feet away has made a world of difference in getting it to bind.
I followed your steps exactly and it said the bind was successful but on the display the receiver never pops up.

Attachments

• 15559824041275571562810998019308.jpg
    15559824041275571562810998019308.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0