How do people make printable plans on their computer?

MrGravey

If there some (FREE!) software that can be used to layout plans simply? All I really need to an easy way to control what length a line is and the angels from one line to another and I can get where I want to be for now.

I'll explain what I'm wanting to do with this incase that matters. I have been playing with the idea of putting different wings on the Bloody Wonder frame. The two pieces on the bottom of the Wonder are perfect for testing air frame ideas very quickly. They are RC version of a box wood derby car to me. I do better putting tiled plans together and cutting than I do trying to draw it out on the foam and cut it like that. If I should come across something that works really well I can share it with ease if it is already on my PC. I know people do it, FliteTest does it, I would like to know how.

MrGravey

I downloaded sketch-up and it is a very neat program but I haven't seen where you can do 2D plans with it, measure angles with it, or print said things in scale. I'm sure atleast some of that is there, and I'm told RCGroups has a nice thread on it but being told something is on RCGroups is a lot like being told its on the internet only harder to find.

earthsciteach

I'm guessing there are online tutorials. I've always found the best way to learn any CAD system is to just jump in and play around with it.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
If I HAVE plans then I use Acrobat to simply printout the plans at a larger% and tile the pages. If I am making my own plans... I start with Wings3D... A little simpler than Sketchup but Sketchup has the finishing touches you need. I learned on Wings3D first so that is why I use it. Its just what I know. If you are just starting... just get into sketchup. It will do it all and a bag of chips.

eagle4

when designing plans for planes. if you model it in ketchup, do you make your measurements for the inside of the foam on a bend or the outside? Dr think of the wing for the spitfire, do you measure the plans for the inside or the outside?

MrGravey

If I HAVE plans then I use Acrobat to simply printout the plans at a larger% and tile the pages. If I am making my own plans... I start with Wings3D... A little simpler than Sketchup but Sketchup has the finishing touches you need. I learned on Wings3D first so that is why I use it. Its just what I know. If you are just starting... just get into sketchup. It will do it all and a bag of chips.

Have you advice on how to learn to use Sketch-Up in this way? I'm willing to spend the time to learn but just throwing the tools at me and telling me to figure it out doesn't work for me. I need some direction and some idea of how the tools work helps.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yes, these two links together will give you the majority of all you need to do it. The slicer tool is soooooooo useful for making interpolated ribs or fuse formers. Make your rib root and tip. Rotate the tip for washout and apply the slicer... DONE. All your rib templates are there ready for you to print out. It will even lay them out flat for you to hit zoom extents and render in 2D for printing. The videos are good instructions. Try VERY simple shapes to start with. Its like learning to fly on a simulator. Start with a trainer and not a turbine jet of scale WWI model. Skills will come in time. Make a basic foamy and the more complex things will be intuitive with the tool set you develop with the basics. I've always dreamed of making and publishing my own plans but because I started on the wrong software for it my bran has to be re-programmed before I can move on. If you have the motivation go for it.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Today's FliteTest Video revealed that Josh Bixler is using Coral Draw to make plans if I heard it correctly.

Thurmond

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have the 15 year old free version. I wonder if it would work. They used to GIVE that program away back in the Windows 95 days.

$500 sounds like those thieves at Adobe bought the rights to it. I HATE ADOBE with a passion for bad dealings with them in the past.

Thurmond