How do you choose your frame?

Allie

As a beginner who just start flying the drone, I do want to know how you guys choose the frame, I mean for the racing drone. Could you please give me some advice please?
What size?
The lighter the better?
Other elements need to be considered?

Thanks for answering!!!!

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I don't choose the frame. The frame chooses me.

In all seriousness, I like to look at what others are using. Not because what everyone is using is the best frame, but more so because a popular frame will have more support with regards to spare parts and mods. I also like to find a durable frame that is as light as possible. Replaceable arms are a good feature. I also fly with a recording camera so I want to make sure I get a frame that can accommodate such a camera. Lastly it needs to be eye pleasing. You want to be racing with style, not a pile of carbon and silicon.

BTW Welcome to the forum!

Allie

Thank you very much!!! Could you please recommend some frames which is light and eye pleasing?

I don't choose the frame. The frame chooses me.

In all seriousness, I like to look at what others are using. Not because what everyone is using is the best frame, but more so because a popular frame will have more support with regards to spare parts and mods. I also like to find a durable frame that is as light as possible. Replaceable arms are a good feature. I also fly with a recording camera so I want to make sure I get a frame that can accommodate such a camera. Lastly it needs to be eye pleasing. You want to be racing with style, not a pile of carbon and silicon.

BTW Welcome to the forum!

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Allie, would this quad be exclusively for racing? Would you want to also be able to carry a GoPro/HD camera? Have you thought about the size of the props you'd like to use or your other components?

0150r

I like the MQC One. It has 4mm arms which are strong. It's not the cheapest frame, but it has a warranty on the CF parts. If you break it, Nick Miller from MQC will replace it for free.

There is a tendency to buy really cheap gear when starting out. I went that route, and it just ended up costing more in the long run. A decent frame is important as you will be crashing a lot while learning. Even flying slow, you can crash hard. I would also make sure to get a good FPV camera. Stay away from the cheap camera/transmitter combos. The HS1177 camera is the best, and is only $25. Having a cheap Eachine camera will cause crashes when you end up not being able to see where you're going.

Frame in fiber carbon and light, for the size i advise you 250-280 mm but it depends from your components, also 300 mm can be ok

trevoof

I agree that it depends on what type of flying you see yourself doing. I do mostly 3S with limited acrobatics, never carry a go-pro since no one wants to watch my unskilled flying anyway.

With that in mind, I find glass-filled-nylon frames to suit my need. The weight is similar to most carbon fibre frames (or perhaps lighter than the heavy duty ones), it's slightly flexible such that it can take a good hit, but definitely stiff enough in the context of a 250 quad. And they are cheap, the whole frame with PDB often cost less than an arm of the branded carbon fibre frames.

The other consideration is how easy it is to mount equipment onto it (PDB, flight controller, camera, vtx, receiver, battery). This means that larger frames are generally better.

As I got better with building, I found myself moving towards smaller frames, they require more planning in the layout but are more manouevrable.

Allie

Thanks for replying.
It' s about the racing drone, and yes, I'd like to have a HD camera on it.
The size of the propellers is not determined but depends on the size of the frame.
Thank you.
Allie, would this quad be exclusively for racing? Would you want to also be able to carry a GoPro/HD camera? Have you thought about the size of the props you'd like to use or your other components?

Allie

Thanks for infos!!! :D:D
I'm building my second quad now. The first I bought around 2001 or so, and that was easy to choose the frame, because there was just one option.

I'm building an MHQ2 Hovership, and I chose that because I wanted the compact 250 size and it gives me the flexibility to print my own replacement or custom parts.