How do you connect 2 servo's for ailerons into 1 wire for the receiver?

silbo99

Hey everyone,
I am picking my components for the FT 3Don hobbyking, and I have everything except something to connect the two different servo's in the wings together. I mean, there is only 1 port for ailerons on the receiver. How am I supposed to do this? You use a Y-harness for this right? I am unable to find one on hobbyking. Could somebody help me?
Thanks,
Silvester

slyke

If you are using a 6-channel receiver you can plug one aileron into the aux channel and setup up the transmitter appropriately. More work than a Y-cable but it gives you some options like using the ailerons as flaps.
-Stephen

silbo99

Just found out that they are actually available, but it will probably be better to just get 10 40cm servo leads, they are cheaper and I can use them for different purposes than Y-harnesses as well. If I am going to make that Y-harness, I will have to make the two servo rotate the opposite way though. How am I supposed to do that? Does anyone know?

And I don't have a 6ch receiver :(

jh1985

Jeff
Just match the colors take 2 female servo leads and match all the colors to one male lead. The white is or orange is signal red power and black is ground. Just twist and tape or solder them together. Solder is better but Ive done both. Nothing special to worry about. its very simple.

silbo99

Just match the colors take 2 female servo leads and match all the colors to one male lead. The white is or orange is signal red power and black is ground. Just twist and tape or solder them together. Solder is better but Ive done both. Nothing special to worry about. its very simple.

Thanks! But the servo's won't work opposite of each other right? Or am I making some thinking mistake?

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
First: here are some Y-leads that are showing in-stock at Euro warehouse (as I type this):

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=50472

Second: on the FT3D build, the aileron servos are installed on opposite sides of the fuse, in a mirror-image orientation relative to each other. Because of this, you can just use a Y-cable to a single channel if you want. See for example the photo of the bottom of my FT3D here:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?3661-FT-3D-Scratch-Build&p=143422&viewfull=1#post143422

(post #387)

Third: if you have an extra channel on your receiver, depending on what radio you have, it may be just as easy to plug one servo into the aileron channel and the other into the flap channel, then do whatever your radio instructions say to do for a two-servo aileron setup. On my Spektrum DX9 radio for example, you just go to the "Aircraft type" menu and under "Wing," select "Dual Ail." That's how I have my FT3D set up.

silbo99

First: here are some Y-leads that are showing in-stock at Euro warehouse (as I type this):

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=50472

Second: on the FT3D build, the aileron servos are installed on opposite sides of the fuse, in a mirror-image orientation relative to each other. Because of this, you can just use a Y-cable to a single channel if you want. See for example the photo of the bottom of my FT3D here:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?3661-FT-3D-Scratch-Build&p=143422&viewfull=1#post143422

(post #387)

Third: if you have an extra channel on your receiver, depending on what radio you have, it may be just as easy to plug one servo into the aileron channel and the other into the flap channel, then do whatever your radio instructions say to do for a two-servo aileron setup. On my Spektrum DX9 radio for example, you just go to the "Aircraft type" menu and under "Wing," select "Dual Ail." That's how I have my FT3D set up.

Thanks a lot, really. I am sorry for being a noob, but I just didn't really understand. I will just make the Y-harness myself, as I don't have a very big budget and those extension wires will probably be useful by themselves.

Your FT3D looks cool by the way! Did you airbrush it? Or is just tape? Hard to tell from the pictures.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
The top is tape, the bottom is Sharpie.

Here's a simple way to verify that your ailerons will move opposite to each other, the way they should. When on a Y-connector, both servos will receive the same signal from the receiver. So if that signal is, for example, calling for a clockwise servo spline movement, just visualize what effect a clockwise movement will have on each of the two servo splines. Because of the way the FT3D servos are mounted (using Bixler's plans and build video), on the left FT3D servo, a clockwise spline movement will make the end of the servo arm move aft. On the right servo, a clockwise spline movement will make the end of the servo arm move forward. Hence, the ailerons will move in opposite directions, as desired.

glideher

a Y connector is mostly used on receivers with 4 channels or less, just reverse one of the servos. but best to use 5 channel receiver with AUX being one of your aileron channels. just had a friend as the same question