How do you record video?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
808 hat cam for LOS and builds. GoPro on the copter.

I recommend putting a scrap of tape over the SD card to hold it in place. It is amazing to me just how easily and how far those little SD cards eject when the camera gets bumped.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hat-Cam ---- 1st ever use here. Basically a Go-Pro lookalike attached to the brim of a cap. It worked better than I expected but made the cap rather front heavy, thinking about adding a counterbalance weight to the back.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It worked better than I expected but made the cap rather front heavy, thinking about adding a counterbalance weight to the back.

I love this idea! I think the counterbalance is going to look a bit funny, but I want to see it work! :p

Personally I've been thinking about mounting a hat-camera to a construction worker's hard hat since the bands on those can fit very snug and be adjusted easily. And it would be easy to drill a mounting hole into the hard hat too.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Personally I've been thinking about mounting a hat-camera to a construction worker's hard hat since the bands on those can fit very snug and be adjusted easily. And it would be easy to drill a mounting hole into the hard hat too.

So it would resemble a miner's cap somewhat, only instead of having a light on the front, it would have a camera.

Makes sense to me!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hat-cam in person!
IMG_20180626_190356922_HDR.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So it would resemble a miner's cap somewhat, only instead of having a light on the front, it would have a camera.

Makes sense to me!

Yeah! CraftyDan on the forums here made an awesome Minion inspired FPV helmet w/ front facing video in the single eyeball starting with a hard hat that keeps inspiring me :D

Perfect! But yeah, I can see how you need a counterbalance on that - and no sudden movements :)

randyrls

Randy
Hmmm; I wonder if a 3D printed sight mounted to the camera would help with keeping the plane in the frame. I'm think ing of a mount that would have a ring that hangs down in front of one of your eyes.

Gazoo

Some pretty good ideas here. I just got a RunCam 2. It has WiFi so it can be aligned by looking at my phone as a viewfinder. Too cold and snowy to try now but I'm looking forward to trying it out. Just need to figure out a hat mount.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Hadn't caught this thread since I'm only in this subforum every once in a while, but I thought I'd share some techniques I like to use. I put this video together a year or two ago and you can see the camera rig I use. I admit I can't film MYSELF flying with it, but it is easy enough for anyone to use and really helps to smoothly track RC airplanes (and even drones)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
If I only had a friend...It's lonely up here in Washington state as rc doesn't seem to be as mainstream as it is back east.

wilmracer

Mentor
If I only had a friend...It's lonely up here in Washington state as rc doesn't seem to be as mainstream as it is back east.

I will admit I'm a bit spoiled here. Solid local club with a lot of guys from this forum in the local area too.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

Well... you are selling the house now, right? Seems when you're all packed up is a perfect time to move near an active RC field! :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Five miles is practically next door!! (y)

I'm 18 miles to the close field that we can only use on the weekends, and 32 miles from the field we can use on weekdays.... :cry:

wilmracer

Mentor
Five miles is practically next door!! (y)

I'm 18 miles to the close field that we can only use on the weekends, and 32 miles from the field we can use on weekdays.... :cry:

Might be worth mentioning that 1 mile in northern VA is like 5 miles in many states. I bet it would take you 1.5-2 hours to drive those 32 miles if you wanted to hit Poplar Ford after work.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Might be worth mentioning that 1 mile in northern VA is like 5 miles in many states. I bet it would take you 1.5-2 hours to drive those 32 miles if you wanted to hit Poplar Ford after work.

Yep - 1.5 to 2 hours rotting in rush hour traffic to get to a Thursday night summer club meeting held at Poplar Ford. :cry:

This year I plan to try taking a club meeting day off work and spend it all at the field! :D