How Do You Retire Your Planes?

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
To elaborate a bit, I cut the tail section off of any "nice" plane that I kill (or something else if the tail can't be salvaged). I fabricate a picture style hook and write the relevant dates and details on a card inside the tail so I can go back and remember when I built it and how I killed it :). Then it goes up on the "wall of shame". It is a nice display/conversation piece when people ask me "You're not going to fly THAT, are you?". They all go in eventually.

Right now on the wall I know I have the tails from my Sbach 342, my ORACLE Pitts Challenger, the Nerdnic nnP-38, a pair of mustangs (one of which was a cartoon mustang), and a P-47 tail. I also have the glued-back-together propeller from when I ran the P-40 into a fence on a maiden flight attempt. I need to retire a few more this winter and the old F-18 and F-16s may get the same treatment.

I only have two models I've retired that weren't heavily crashed and both of those are hung up by wires in the shop. They aren't pretty, but one was my first aileron warbird (OLD eflite P-47 from the geared, brushed motor days) and a Tigermoth I built for my wife.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I ended up cutting up my first Sea Duck, removing the electronics, and rebuilding it into a new Sea Duck, but several others have been "retired" in rather spectacular fashion - my Mustang went down in a blaze of paintballs, as our club pulls out the guns to shoot up planes on a quarterly basis. Everyone who wants to shoot pays $5 for the paintballs and gas, and others zip by with planes for people to shoot.

My last Versa Wing went down via an AWESOME midair - we were full throttle in combat, and I made an audible collision, tearing into him and completely trashing my motor mount and breaking the prop. I managed to glide out of it and land, but she flew no more after that!!!

Bricks

Master member
To elaborate a bit, I cut the tail section off of any "nice" plane that I kill (or something else if the tail can't be salvaged). I fabricate a picture style hook and write the relevant dates and details on a card inside the tail so I can go back and remember when I built it and how I killed it :). Then it goes up on the "wall of shame". It is a nice display/conversation piece when people ask me "You're not going to fly THAT, are you?". They all go in eventually.

Right now on the wall I know I have the tails from my Sbach 342, my ORACLE Pitts Challenger, the Nerdnic nnP-38, a pair of mustangs (one of which was a cartoon mustang), and a P-47 tail. I also have the glued-back-together propeller from when I ran the P-40 into a fence on a maiden flight attempt. I need to retire a few more this winter and the old F-18 and F-16s may get the same treatment.

I only have two models I've retired that weren't heavily crashed and both of those are hung up by wires in the shop. They aren't pretty, but one was my first aileron warbird (OLD eflite P-47 from the geared, brushed motor days) and a Tigermoth I built for my wife.

Good Lord I do not have a wall big enough for all of them that have been crashed or destroyed, a few have been lucky and got sold before the inevitable happens.

poor boy 101

I ended up cutting up my first Sea Duck, removing the electronics, and rebuilding it into a new Sea Duck, but several others have been "retired" in rather spectacular fashion - my Mustang went down in a blaze of paintballs, as our club pulls out the guns to shoot up planes on a quarterly basis. Everyone who wants to shoot pays $5 for the paintballs and gas, and others zip by with planes for people to shoot.

My last Versa Wing went down via an AWESOME midair - we were full throttle in combat, and I made an audible collision, tearing into him and completely trashing my motor mount and breaking the prop. I managed to glide out of it and land, but she flew no more after that!!!
Paintball is the most fun! Have you ever tried flying and shooting at the same time? It’s very fun and very hard. Me post pictures of my ftx that I retired 4 days ago. Lost left elevon control, ran out of battery and crashed into a tree.

poor boy 101

9EA24CCB-12D1-45D7-AB58-DFB18A24794C.jpeg
CB9D9FAD-4EB9-4F22-ADF8-BD8AA8C36A56.jpeg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
i now we are all having fun. but i could now pass up the chance to let all you now what foam board does when it get's burned. i read that you could actually burned it. but it has to be at a super hot temperature to eliminate all fumes.
Anyone seen the end of the viggen video with the afterburner David added that went down? ;)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Paintball is the most fun! Have you ever tried flying and shooting at the same time? It’s very fun and very hard. Me post pictures of my ftx that I retired 4 days ago. Lost left elevon control, ran out of battery and crashed into a tree.

No. The end of our runway butts up against a major freeway, and we get nervous with people flying over it; I'd rather not try to shoot at my plane while flying, and possibly risk it going down over the freeway or having a paintball fall and hit someone's car. Lots easier to fly it and try to avoid the "anti-aircraft" fire from other shooters. :)

poor boy 101

Hey what is the best 4s 2200 man battery that I could use(a lot of cs please) I ruined my one in the ftx-29 and I need a new one to retire it with.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hey what is the best 4s 2200 man battery that I could use(a lot of cs please) I ruined my one in the ftx-29 and I need a new one to retire it with.

I don't know about "best" but I have always had good luck with the China Hobby Line batteries. They are really popular with the FPV quad racers at my club too - great performance for less money. Depending on the C rating you want, they have 5 batteries in that size ranging from $18-$26 each

https://chinahobbyline.com/index.ph...ttery_max=4&capacit_min=2128&capacit_max=2443

poor boy 101

I don't know about "best" but I have always had good luck with the China Hobby Line batteries. They are really popular with the FPV quad racers at my club too - great performance for less money. Depending on the C rating you want, they have 5 batteries in that size ranging from $18-$26 each

https://chinahobbyline.com/index.ph...ttery_max=4&capacit_min=2128&capacit_max=2443
Dang! Thanks I will get them they are sooo cheap. After some more searching I found 6s 5000 mah battery for $50! Everything else is like $110.

IcedStorm777

It would be cool (if you had a private lake or body of water you owned) if you lit the plane with liter fluid and than flew over said body of water and than flew it close to a torch and watched it burn midair. Viking style!