How Do You Retire Your Planes?

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
When did this crash and do you have any photos or video?

Yeah, We caught it on video at FF 2016. Basically she came out way too heavy. Partially because of using much heavier wood than it really required, partially because I decided to go with an 8 aileron setup, each with its own servo, and then decided to do a complicated semi-sheeting technique on the wings to simulate ribs on a solid foam core wing.

She did fly a few times, although not particularly well. I was able to get her up and down though, even at the high wing loading. UNTIL a poorly thought out battery hatch in the nose of the aircraft fell off during a landing approach. To get the battery as far forward in the fuse I had a hatch in the chin of the aircraft. When this blew off the fuse lost all aerodynamics. She stalled almost immediately at a low altitude and went into the field. Damaged beyond repair.

I do still have the plug to make another fuse. One day down the line I want to revisit this project, but for now I'm all B-17 all the time until it is done.

Robyle3

I somehow haven't damaged too many wings in crashes, so I have about four sets lined up for future projects.
I bought a servo set for a kit almost ten years ago now, and I just put three of them in my newest build.

Mine retire themselves, and provide a learning experience every time. I am always pushing the envelope, so not often is it pilot error. It's more often builder error. Folded a wing putting 3536 1400v and 4s in a Storch, for some reason the wing spar couldn't take a high positive G maneuver.

Folded a Guinea Pig wing with same high positive G maneuver with 1.25lbs in the cargo hold. (see a pattern forming)

Solution was 1/8 baltic birch spar and 3 sets of rubber bands holding the fuse on for dear life.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Mine retire themselves, and provide a learning experience every time. I am always pushing the envelope, so not often is it pilot error. It's more often builder error. Folded a wing putting 3536 1400v and 4s in a Storch, for some reason the wing spar couldn't take a high positive G maneuver.

Folded a Guinea Pig wing with same high positive G maneuver with 1.25lbs in the cargo hold. (see a pattern forming)

Solution was 1/8 baltic birch spar and 3 sets of rubber bands holding the fuse on for dear life.
Sounds pretty responsible! 🤣

Robyle3

Pattern:
Not enough negative g maneuvers