How Do You Retire Your Planes?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
are we really applauding a guy shooting an extremely toxic material and allowing it to scatter into the environment?

did i miss something?

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

poor boy 101

Usually they explode or catch on fire. And I feel bad for mr fury when he does the hay on his field. He probably runs over tons of lipos with his tractor. It is not really substantial enough to really worry me unless you do it in a poor environment. But then again shooting in a similar environment would be bad as well.

poor boy 101

I have only killed one battery. And that was at flite fest. Gave it to the people in the help tent and idk what they did. Wait that’s kinda weird. I have been flying for two years almost every day for a half hour and only destroyed one battery. I guess the admiral line is the best after all.

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
Well, my mini mustang just got an unexpected retirement.:eek:

1573914623279.png

I was just flying along when a light pole appeared right in my flight path!

Bricks

Master member
I don’t anything special to retire my old planes, I usually just bury them. About 6 inches deep, depending on how fast it was going.

I keep planting them but I can’t get any to grow.

After they are planted try a little Nitro if you are in a cold climate try a lighter after the Nitro, they will grow into smoke and you will have a miny, with less storage problems..

skymaster

Elite member
what ever you do please do not burn the styrofoam. it is bad for everyone, in some states there is a fine up to 25.000 for burning no less than half the wing of a tiny trainer. here is some info. Burning Styrofoam, or polystyrene, is the least appropriate way to get rid of it for both people and the environment. Research has shown that when Styrofoam is burned it releases toxic chemicals and smoke that can damage the nervous system and lungs. please be careful.

skymaster

Elite member
i now we are all having fun. but i could now pass up the chance to let all you now what foam board does when it get's burned. i read that you could actually burned it. but it has to be at a super hot temperature to eliminate all fumes.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
If one of my planes survives to retirement and is in flyable shape, I either;

1) Give it to someone - especially new flyers just getting into the hobby
2) Sell it at an auction or swap meet.

I don't consider intentionally diving a plane into the ground "retirement". That's just a normal day at the field trying to land in a cross wind. :ROFLMAO:

L Edge

Master member
One or two ways:

When I was finished with that particular plane, I would give it to a youngster that was starting off, especially in competition. Even old radios and servos were given to help the cause.

Others are put it in my boneyard in the cellar. In the future, they are usually pulled out and are re-furbushed or stolen for parts.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I give my wrecked or salvaged planes to my youngest step son and he hangs them on his wall in his room. Loves it, like its Xmas.

FT guys will toss used to toss all their planes in the attic of the house/stables the had before the golf course. There was an episode where Alex and Stephan did their Frankenplane and were swimming through piles of planes, but get this, they still all had all the electronics in them! Donate that stuff to me, give me ten minutes in that attic and I wouldn't have to buy electronics for years. Motors, ESC's, servos, Rx's! Package it out in gift bags and give them to under privileged school kids, donate them to a youth shelter for projects, etc. just in the mindset of keeping kids active and engaged in the right direction, instead of crime or just video games.

Or like I said earlier, I'll relieve them of it and put it to good use lol

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Usually, once a plane has reached the end of its useful life for me (usually when the effort to repair it overtakes the effort required to build a new airplane) I take all the usable bits back out (organ donation) and then hang the rest on my wall. A bit like how hunters keep taxidermied heads on plaques?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Usually, once a plane has reached the end of its useful life for me (usually when the effort to repair it overtakes the effort required to build a new airplane) I take all the usable bits back out (organ donation) and then hang the rest on my wall. A bit like how hunters keep taxidermied heads on plaques?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've seen a couple folks like @wilmracer keep just the tail sections of planes mounted on their workshop walls as trophys too!