How do you set up differential thrust

PaulK

I am building the A-10 warthog and followed joshes directions to set up differential thrust exactly and only one motor receives the signal. I tried plugging the other speed control into different channels and still nothing does anybody know why this is happening

kdobson83

I am building the A-10 warthog and followed joshes directions to set up differential thrust exactly and only one motor receives the signal. I tried plugging the other speed control into different channels and still nothing does anybody know why this is happening
Depends on your Tx and your mixes. You have to put in a mix that will use your throttle as the main, and the other channel you plug your 2nd esc into as the slave. Then, to do differential, you'll have to do another mix using rudder as your main and throttle as your slave.
I'm sure there's more to it and I'm probably using confusing/wrong terminology. There are others out here with more experience than me with this so you may want to wait for their response. Lol
But, they will probably want to know what Tx/radio your using before they can give you exact directions.
Good luck!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
First, if you are using props, take then off. They, I'd make sure both motors are working. Try switching them & make sure both work.

The basic concept, you will need 3 mixes set up 2 channels. First mix, throttle to 2nd channel 100%. I don't care what the 2nd channel is, any free channel will work. Second mix, rudder to throttle channel 100%. Third mix, rudder to 2nd channel -100%. If the rudder mix is reversed, switch the values in mix 2 & 3 OR switch the channels the ESC's are plugged into.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Without a battery in the plane go to the display in the tx where you see the bars moving. On my FlySky my mixes I did put through a switch so I can turn on and off the differential thrust. Go into the display menu in the tx , with the switch off you should see the 2 channels programmed for the motors go up and down like normal with the throttle stick. With the switch on set the throttle stick at 1/2, both bars should be 1/2 way, then move the rudder stick left to right, you should see only one motor drop . With 0 throttle even with the switch on they should be off or should I say the bar should be gone.

kdobson83

There are a few 'how to' videos on YouTube on how to do differential thrust on the Turnigy i6.
Here's a couple. They are listed as Flysky i6 but the turnigy i6 is just a clone of the Flysky i6. Same software and hardware.

Wildthing

Legendary member
That doesn't sound right, if one motor is turning off with 0 subtrim and the other has subtrim to make it turn off it sounds like the esc's are not programmed equally. You need to go in and set throttle limits on both esc's , do each one seperatley

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
That doesn't sound right, if one motor is turning off with 0 subtrim and the other has subtrim to make it turn off it sounds like the esc's are not programmed equally. You need to go in and set throttle limits on both esc's , do each one seperatley
Remember he is mixing two channels, if the rudder trim is off, it could make a motor run.

Wildthing

Legendary member
All trims should be set to 0 before you start the process, don't need some little mix or setting screwing with your brain for a few days, ask me it isn't fun. LOL

Headbang

Master member
Yep, what they said. All esc's I have ever used had a calibration procedure. I just had an issue yesterday on a fms tigercat. 1 motor would not turn on till 25%ish throttle. Calibrated both esc's according to the esc manufactures instructions and all was good.