How do you store your builds?

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Wow, that is a really cool little biplane! I'll have to add that to my build list, right after the SE5.

Bricks

Master member
Originally Posted by Bricks
Jeremy a friend of mine every time he builds a plane he puts a bag in it, size depends on size of plane he flies a few 35% so he has some big bags.

interesting.

As Jeremy says every plane has an expiration and he likes to be prepared, he has bagged up a few.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Up until a week and a half ago, mine was in the living room on the floor in a pile... a big pile.
IMG_20180913_193858641.jpg
I had some down time from some outpatient surgery (went well) and figured now's my time. My plan was to build 2 racks one for the build room, and one for my ready-to-go models for easy grab and go flying.

I finally spent a few moments and built two racks with 2- 2x4's, 12 2-1/2" screws and a box store bundle of 5' 3/4" PVC pipes (6 I think).

Cuts: i cut the 2x4's down the middle, cut 18" off, for the legs, leaving 6'-6" for the vertical pieces. I have a set of Forster bits so I Selected the size just bigger than the pipe Outer Diameter (OD) and drilled. I started drilling holes 2/3 of the way through the front face (originally the sides of the 2x4) starting 2" from the top, I spaced out holes 4" for ~16" feet and 6" for the next 18" and 8" for the remainder. for the rests, I cut the 5' PVC section into 3-8", and 3-12" 2 pipes gets you 6 plane rests.

LEGS - o make the legs, I laid a long piece to meet the front of the 18" piece which sat perpendicular from the wall this yield a roughly 10° angle. but all that matters is they are the same.

Frame: I took a short (4") scrap piece and drilled it into the top so the legs splay out a few degrees with 4 screws to resist racking and stability. the bottom width is around 30" with the horzontal pieces on the outside.

Rests:To finish it off I just slide the pvc into the 1-1 1/4" deep hole. They end up just a but up tilted and hold in place with gravity and friction but can be lifted out easily when not needed. Also you can cut pool noodle to give delicate plane wings a softer landing

IMG_20190318_230343566.jpg IMG_20190318_230331546.jpg

Limitations: The bottom pieces could have been 6" longer to increase the lay-back angle using my build method. as it is one of the racks is a little front heavy and needs some weight on the horizontal pieces. but that might just need smarter weight distribution (my Big Bay is in the lowest spot.

I hope this has inspired helped or entertained someone besides myself. Now I will finish my small-planes 4' rack.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Up until a week and a half ago, mine was in the living room on the floor in a pile... a big pile.
Your better half let's you get away with that?!!
Mine would skin me alive if I tried! :ROFLMAO:

If I don't "pick up after myself", it all gets put in a pile, a pile that every day inches closer and closer to the basement door....

FoamyDM

@kilroy,
I am my better half for now... the dining rm locale is temporary. The lady friend finds it better than the pile.:)
for your sake, I hope that pile doesn't end up getting kicked into the basement.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I just hang 'em up in the garage. I'm almost out of space though. May need to move to a house with a larger garage soon. :ROFLMAO:

FoamyDM

I just hang 'em up in the garage. I'm almost out of space though. May need to move to a house with a larger garage soon. :ROFLMAO:
Nah, just sleep on the couch And turn you bedroom into another RC-friendly space.

mayan

Legendary member
are those FT-350 wings with the winglets?
The yellow ones? If so they are the ft edge wings scaled down to 75% and are part of a TT/Edge crossover project.

So we ended up going to a forest 50 mins drive from our home. The weather was chili but with no rain so we hooked up breakfast and took with us. We arrived the forest and walked for a while until we found a nice place to sit down an eat in between a dozen butterflies.

When we got home I convinced a firend to tag along and come flying with me (more like film me) :). I took a lot of planes and flew nearly all of them. Had problems with most, and things didn't seem to go well. The Mini Scout was acting weird fliping out on me like it was too nose heavy and not trimed, might have been the 3S battery I was using. On the first tries at the FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge I was using a 2S 1000mah battery which must have done 2 things, balance the plane better and give me less power. Any how a total failure, read about it and watch the videos here: FT Mini Scout Newbie Challeng.

I tried flying the SpiTTT but also here something was off. It seemed like the plane was climbing with a weird up angle and then stalling. Don't really understand why considering it flew amazing the last time I took it out with me. Also seemed to be fighting some sort of hidden wind as at some points I was having a hard time bringing it back towards me. Realizing that the plane won't fly straight and level I figured I'd play around with it, bringing it down in a spiral until a moment before it hits the ground, flying inverted at low altitude and more. You can read about it and watch the videos here: Getting Stupid with the Tiny Trainer - The Challenge..

I have maiden the Tedge for the first time but something really weird happened, reminded me of what happened to me with the Simple Soarer. Have a look and tell me what you think? I thought it might be a balance issue but when I stoped and played toss with my friend it glided prefect so I am not sure what happened to it and why it looped back the way it did. Going to have to figure this out sometime.

I also tried flying the Mini Edge V2 but had an issue with the elevator control horn that broke lose, so I couldn't fly it. To close off the day of bad flying I pulled out my TT, had fun flying it in leveled circles until I decided to go inverted and crashed in the middle of the grain field. Spent some long time looking for it with no success, I decided I'd have a smoke and thorttle up hoping the battery buzzer would react and so it did, I found the plane and went hope happy. I have decided though that I will no longer take so many planes with me to thr field, rather enjoy flying 1-2 models at a time instead of taking 5+ and not flying them all or flying very little of each one.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@mayan If you were to close the closet door and use some wire hangars over the door top edge you could hang even more on the outside of the closet. I hand almost all of my personal planes, (including repairs to be done), on wire hangers over every door I can find as well as from a few wall mounted light fittings!

Makes them all easy to find and I do not have to disassemble them at the end of a days flying!

Just what I do!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan If you were to close the closet door and use some wire hangars over the door top edge you could hang even more on the outside of the closet. I hand almost all of my personal planes, (including repairs to be done), on wire hangers over every door I can find as well as from a few wall mounted light fittings!

Makes them all easy to find and I do not have to disassemble them at the end of a days flying!

Just what I do!

Have fun!
My wife would kill me if I did that :).

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Remembered to get some pics this morning. I cut down some of the metal shelving "arms" so that it stops just above my head. I have about 3 of 3's in my shop around the top of the walls to get my wings up high and out of the way. The shelf arms are very thin and can create pressure points that leave marks so on heavier planes i will cut down some pvc pipe or wrap them in foam.
IMG_20190409_063445.jpg IMG_20190409_063435.jpg

FoamyDM

Remembered to get some pics this morning. I cut down some of the metal shelving "arms" so that it stops just above my head. I have about 3 of 3's in my shop around the top of the walls to get my wings up high and out of the way. The shelf arms are very thin and can create pressure points that leave marks so on heavier planes i will cut down some pvc pipe or wrap them in foam.
View attachment 128431 View attachment 128432
get a pool noodle from DT... Should work.