How do you video your flights?

jack10525

I fly alone in a large field next to a ball park. I have a gopro session I can strap on the plane and iphone. I've tried setting each camera on the roof of my car to capture video but you really can't see the plane. Has anyone figured out a way to make video of their flights alone without a camera person? Is there an auto zoom camera I can buy?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I fly alone in a large field next to a ball park. I have a gopro session I can strap on the plane and iphone. I've tried setting each camera on the roof of my car to capture video but you really can't see the plane. Has anyone figured out a way to make video of their flights alone without a camera person? Is there an auto zoom camera I can buy?
Whilst it is still not perfect I Velcro my GoPro to the top of my bicycle helmet and record my flights that way!

At least I am able to track the plane whilst it is in the air and get some indicative videos of their flight performance!

Works for me!

Have fun!

Vimana89

Legendary member
I operate entirely solo for now as far as flying and recording. I bought a mini action cam for about $20 that does 1080 and a lower quality setting. It is small enough to Velcro to a hat or helmet, but I slip the base of the stand it came with under an elastic sweatband for the head, then tweak the angles of the ball bearing thingies on the stand attachment. It hangs down from the headband and I can adjust it to eye level. If I get it right, whatever I'm watching, the camera is watching. I'll try and get some pics of the cam and headband, but here's what kind of footage I get.

Kendalf

@jack10525 The thing with most of the "action cameras" on the market is that they come with very wide angle lenses (160-170 degrees FOV), which is great for a first person perspective on action sequences, but does not work as well for videoing small planes flying in the distance. One of the few relatively cheaper cameras I found with a tighter field of view was the GitUp Git2P. They also have a newer version called the Git3 Duo (make sure you select the 90° FOV option). The Git2P is compatible with most GoPro Hero4 accessories, so I got a super cheap head strap and this combo is what I used to video my recent FT-22 flight.

Vimana89

Legendary member
@jack10525 The thing with most of the "action cameras" on the market is that they come with very wide angle lenses (160-170 degrees FOV), which is great for a first person perspective on action sequences, but does not work as well for videoing small planes flying in the distance. One of the few relatively cheaper cameras I found with a tighter field of view was the GitUp Git2P. They also have a newer version called the Git3 Duo (make sure you select the 90° FOV option). The Git2P is compatible with most GoPro Hero4 accessories, so I got a super cheap head strap and this combo is what I used to video my recent FT-22 flight.
Footage is good on that one, a bit better then I am able to get. Then again, I only payed $20 for my cheapo cam. Whatever quality cam you end up getting @jack10525, find some way to secure it to a helmet or hat, Velcro works good, or you can use my method if it comes with a little flat stand and arm(slip the stand under an elastic head band and adjust the cam on the arm to eye level). Either way works just make sure the camera is following what your eyes are following, might take a couple practice runs to get it pointed right for optimum footage.

quorneng

Master member
I also use a camera mounted on a head band but I have added a thin wire "sight" that extend to my eye line. Keep the sight on the plane and it is in the middle of the screen!
Without a zoom you do have to plan the flight to make sure any 'interesting' bits, particularly the landing, are as close to the camera as possible.
To the keep the end video interesting(!) and short I edit out the bits where you can't really see plane before I down load it to You Tube.

only1bobert

I just got the head strap by gopro, this is a great way to video flights you are always looking at the plane. Unless of course you wanna build a new one ;)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I use a Möbius hat cam. Inspired by Andrew Newton’s, he used PVC, I made mine from a wire coat hanger. Just slide it on the bill of my cap and go.

The hat cam starts about 3:40

BlueK

Hmm, I did see some video where people did have the cam on his head with strap mount for GoPro so the cam films on what you are looking.

--Oz--

I use one of them big metal paper clip (black with chrome wire handles), gooped one side to the bottom of a spare gopro mount, and simply clip it to the brim of my hat. As been said, the wider the FOV and the farther you fly, it looks like a nat, so i shoot in narrow or linear mode, but still with the sessions wide FOV it is still to much.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, I did see some video where people did have the cam on his head with strap mount for GoPro so the cam films on what you are looking.
Yes, it may take a bit of "calibration" to get you plane in the center of the video. I use the bill of my hat as a view finder, I know that if my plane is in the center of my hat bill, it will be centered in the video.

On the Mobius, I prefer the narrow lenses for my hat cam and the wide lenses for my onboard video.

Homey

Elite member
I rigged this and this up and use my S8. Quality is awesome!

Peter

Attachments

• mini-clamp-camera-adapter-tripod-mount-bracket.jpg
    mini-clamp-camera-adapter-tripod-mount-bracket.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 6c48db70-6932-012e-8776-20cf30bab63e.jpeg
    6c48db70-6932-012e-8776-20cf30bab63e.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 0