How does this glider fly?

landedit

So this morning I had a printed paper that was junk, and typically rather than crumpling it up and throwing it out, I try to make something that can fly :)

This morning I stumbled across this loop glider https://www.instructables.com/Super-Slow-Glider/ and I made it and it turns out its a pretty cool little glider. Now, I'm sure this isn't earth shattering for most of the people in the FT community, but I was curious how it can fly? Of course I began rolling around the prospect of making a scale model and even potentially powering it. Would that work? I'm considering just winging it (pun intended). The guide says that the flight can be modified my changing the angle of the trailing long edge, so if I did a big model, I'd probably set it up with flaperons of sorts. Any input on this? Or maybe its already been tried? I think it would be really cool to pull this off :) Definitely unique :) Anyhow, hope you all have a great day!

Here is the one I made. Not perfect but it flies :)

20220324_075342 (1).jpg

20220324_075350 (1).jpg

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
At Flite Fest '19 a few years ago there were guys that made a plane from a trash can.
They cut out the bottom, and put a motor with a massive prop in it. put batteries in the bottom front and sent it. let...me... see, ah, here it is.
After looking it up, it seems they had wings. and two motors

Piotrsko

Master member
It flies because it is a class of airplane called lifting surface. Everything is wing, but not in a standard flat plate, it is rolled up in a circle. Since it is a wing, it can be controlled like a wing but at 1:1 aspect ratio, there is nothing to stop the rolling once it starts. That's why all the decent flying ones have external control surfaces. We even had a hoop plane thread for a while here until everyone got bored (15 minutes maybe?)

Funny answer. "It flies because it's a wing, not flat but rolled up." :LOL:
Why is the grass green? And somebody always comes in with some story about chlorophyll and chemistry and microbiology. :rolleyes:
Why is the sky blue? ...wavelengths of light... reflection and refraction... blah blah blah... words words...