How far have you flown FPV?

Nonamerc

Arman
How far have you flown FPV?
I am interested in how much range people get with different kinds of setups.

I will start:

My furthest FPV flight was 1.8 Km with my Bixler:

I have the d2826/6 2200 KV engine and an 40 amps plush esc. I am using an 6X4E prop for more thrust

FPV Gear:

1.2 GHz 300 mw readymaderc costum international VTX (1280 MH)
FH18C Pal 520 TV lines

I am using an 2200 mah 3 cell for my bixler.

FPV Ground setup

7 inch tft lcd monitor
8 dbi optimized patch antenna for 1280 MHz
readymaderc costum 1.2 GHz international VRX with upgraded saw filter

I was using EZuhf with diversity antenna's.

I could have gone further, signal was still pretty good but I was flying above a town and I tought that it is not a very good place to fly. 1280
Mhz and 433 MHz is illegal in the netherlands without ham licence.

I am interested in your FPV flights, maybe post a video?

Arman

Darren

Nice setup. How much flight time are you getting out of this setup? I have the same motor+esc+prop+battery combo on my 4 foot flying wing which has 5.8 GHz fpv gear on it. The only reason I haven't had the chance to fly it is because I have the oldest model Gopro which does not allow live output and I have to get a new one. Also you do not have a HAM license, right? I was initially going to get 1.3 GHz but I didn't want to go through the process of getting a license so I went with 5.8 GHz which I now regret for various reasons. But I mean come on, I just can't imagine being tracked and getting in trouble for flying my plane.

PaulT

Mentor
http://forum.flitetest.com/entry.php?29-Hobby-King-5-8-ghz-fpv-system

Reaching 2 kms with zero issues with the above setup.

BUT .........

Having a discussion about longest/farthest/bestest is dependant on so many variables outside of the equipment that you use as to actually render your question completely moot.

I am of the belief, and this is solely my opinion, that the following has more effect on FPV distances than the equipment:
-Atmospheric conditions.
-Ambient radio interference.
-Topography.

This is why there are so many arguments and misinformation about what works.

Again ..... Just my opinion.......

Now as to my power setup.... I am way way waaay too overpowered. More speed on the Bixler equals too much lift.
But it allows a decent one hour flight at 1/4 throttle just cruising around and gliding a bit.

Nonamerc

Arman
Nice setup. How much flight time are you getting out of this setup? I have the same motor+esc+prop+battery combo on my 4 foot flying wing which has 5.8 GHz fpv gear on it. The only reason I haven't had the chance to fly it is because I have the oldest model Gopro which does not allow live output and I have to get a new one. Also you do not have a HAM license, right? I was initially going to get 1.3 GHz but I didn't want to go through the process of getting a license so I went with 5.8 GHz which I now regret for various reasons. But I mean come on, I just can't imagine being tracked and getting in trouble for flying my plane.

Well depends on the place where you life. If you life in us/canda you should buy from readymaderc. These systems give you 2 legall channels except for 1.... But in most places you can fly fpv on illegal frequencies if you are using 200/300 mw of power. IF you are using those big 1watt or 2.5watt systems the police or other people have chances to find you when you are causing problems. But most of the cops dont even know what is illegal loool. And for the 433 mhz, 430 to 440 mhz is in the netherlands for radio people. They can send use systems with allot more power then me 1watt + so my 200mw systems wont cause any trouble if you are not flying near airports. Also the police can only find you not the plane since they cant track signals. (Well maybe cia/fbi can do that but if they are searching for you, you are in big trouble. Really they wont search for you ;P) I get about 30 minutes of flying time MAX if its a calm day with thermal. I can fly further but I did not had the chance. (Flying fpv for about 2 weeks now and I got about 15 hours of fpv flight time)

You have to get in serious trouble to get tracked with your fpv system. I know allot allot of people in the netherlands who fly fpv illegal and never heard anything. I even heard from a guy that the police came and they started to film his fpv setup with his iphone. Also they got a speedgun to see how fast the plane went, for the fun ofcourse.

Arman, -nonamerc

Nonamerc

Arman
http://forum.flitetest.com/entry.php?29-Hobby-King-5-8-ghz-fpv-system

Reaching 2 kms with zero issues with the above setup.

BUT .........

Having a discussion about longest/farthest/bestest is dependant on so many variables outside of the equipment that you use as to actually render your question completely moot.

I am of the belief, and this is solely my opinion, that the following has more effect on FPV distances than the equipment:
-Atmospheric conditions.
-Ambient radio interference.
-Topography.

This is why there are so many arguments and misinformation about what works.

Again ..... Just my opinion.......

Now as to my power setup.... I am way way waaay too overpowered. More speed on the Bixler equals too much lift.
But it allows a decent one hour flight at 1/4 throttle just cruising around and gliding a bit.

Nice setup, I think that I am also going to get an extra 2200 mah 3 cell for my bixler since I want to fly longer and further away.
Note that 5.8 GHz fpv only is influenced by atmospheric conditions. You will get a less range when the air is humid or when you are near clouds. (Thats the reason why you dont see above the clouds fpv with 5.8 GHz)

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I've only been out to 2klms, but I've watched Jason (Danger Mouse) do regular flights out to 5klms and a number out 10klms.

What I'm finding really interesting is all the testing near where you get near the limit of the system in the conditions that you are flying and then being able to pick up on the warning signs. I think this is a very handy skill to have :) and slowly but surely I am getting there.

Will be going out further soon with the bixler and hoping to break the 5k mark for myself soon :) . . that it if the weather lets up.

BTW PaulT is 100% correct about:
- Atmospheric conditions.
- Ambient radio interference.
- Topography.

His name is Paul so I have to agree with him ;)

Cheers
Paul

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha, 400m for me. But I've only done 3 flights. All with the stock antennas on 910Mhz and Turnigy 9x radio. My Bixler is mega overpowered too, running a 2826 1900kv motor from Leaderhobby and a 6x4 tgs, coupled with a 40A ESC with separate UBEC.

oagh

My furthest FPV flight was .7 Km or a half mile,
I have no OSD , juts a cheep 200 watt 5.8 . set up
I use it on a none stock super cub

Nonamerc

Arman
My furthest FPV flight was .7 Km or a half mile,
I have no OSD , juts a cheep 200 watt 5.8 . set up
I use it on a none stock super cub

Nice, I saw the crash of your super cub. What could you save from the super cub and was it repairable?