How fast can I charge these batteries? (NIMH)

jman116

I have 2 NIMH batteries, a 2000Mah and a 3800Mah, and I've been charging them at 2 amps because I wasn't sure how to charge them. They are redcat racing brand and do not have a 'c' rating for charging, only that they're 7.2V and the capacity. I am using a radient primal as a charger with modified connectors to fit the batteries. Also am I correct in thinking the 2000Mah battery will charge in 1 hour at 2 amps?
I am asking this because I want these batteries to last and be safe while charging them.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
haha some people would charge them at high amps in the 90s and erly 2000's, and have cooling tunnels to keep them from over heating. :p I would highly not suggest this.

jman116

So what would I charge the 3800 pack at? I am lost with charging as there is something I cannot understand, yet I don't know what I can't understand!
Also I do have a small fan blowing on the batteries, it is actually used to cool the charger, but the charger doesn't get hot. Lol
I'm thinking for the 2000Mah at 1.5A, and for the 3800 2.5?

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
So what would I charge the 3800 pack at? I am lost with charging as there is something I cannot understand, yet I don't know what I can't understand!
Also I do have a small fan blowing on the batteries, it is actually used to cool the charger, but the charger doesn't get hot. Lol
I'm thinking for the 2000Mah at 1.5A, and for the 3800 2.5?

I found my old NiMH charger from he 90s here. It has a handy charge chart.. :) With NiMH you could charge faster than Lipos.. I was disappointed when I saw the charge rate of Lipos..

image.jpg

Last edited:

jman116

I found my old NiMH charger from he 90s here. It has a handy charge chart.. :) With NiMH you could charge faster than Lipos.. I was disappointed when I saw the charge rate of Lipos..

View attachment 65519

Would the roman numerals stand for the cell count of lipos? and the numbers across the top storage size?? I am lost without labels.(AKA, I'm a noob at chargers)

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Would the roman numerals stand for the cell count of lipos? and the numbers across the top storage size?? I am lost without labels.(AKA, I'm a noob at chargers)

No they are just the modes on the jumpers you can ignore that. The top row is mah's Note this is for nicad or nimh charging only.. Don't charge at this rate with lipos.. You will burn your house down.