How I build quads. A complete walk thru.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok. Over the years here I have done several projects and had parts of their evolution spread all over.

I was going to use this years Christmas gifts and cash I have set aside to up date my Alien to v2 electronics instead I decided on this project as more and more people are showing up with issues from watching older not so well documented builds thinking those are set in stone "this is what must be done".

This time I am going to document AND hopefully teach some solid build practices as well as give a few things I have learned over my time in the multi rotor hobby.

My plans are to do several build videos of the process as some learn more by seeing and the videos will show the technique as well as little tricks n tidbits. Add pictures on the way, and possibly put the final product up for auction to finance another different build.

This build will be:

Racedayquads 5 inch strech Mach1 frame.

DAL RC F722 dual flight controller.

DAL RC Rocket 45a 4in one esc.

EMAX RS 2306 2550kv motors.

Pandorc variable power vtx.

Runcam microswift 2 camera.

I will use an xsr receiver but that will not be with the build if I do auction this after all is done.

For now I have the footage for the frame build process and have done the mock up how I will be mounting and running the hardware and wires.

Here are a few teaser pics.

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

Part 1 Frame Prep.

Part 2 Power Tain Install

Part 3 Power Train Check and First Power Up.

Part 4 receiver,vtx, and camera install

Ft close.jpg

Lt close.jpg

Rr close.jpg
Rt close.jpg

Here is the first packs run for set up. Once this is done I will do the video for all the Betaflight stuff.

Attachments

• Rr close.jpg
    Rr close.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Ok. Over the years here I have done several projects and had parts of their evolution spread all over.

I was going to use this years Christmas gifts and cash I have set aside to up date my Alien to v2 electronics instead I decided on this project as more and more people are showing up with issues from watching older not so well documented builds thinking those are set in stone "this is what must be done".

This time I am going to document AND hopefully teach some solid build practices as well as give a few things I have learned over my time in the multi rotor hobby.

My plans are to do several build videos of the process as some learn more by seeing and the videos will show the technique as well as little tricks n tidbits. Add pictures on the way, and possibly put the final product up for auction to finance another different build.

This build will be:

Racedayquads 5 inch strech Mach1 frame.

DAL RC F722 dual flight controller.

DAL RC Rocket 45a 4in one esc.

EMAX RS 2306 2550kv motors.

Pandorc variable power vtx.

Runcam microswift 2 camera.

I will use an xm+ receiver but that will not be with the build if I do auction this after all is done.

For now I have the footage for the frame build process and have done the mock up how I will be mounting and running the hardware and wires.

Here are a few teaser pics.

View attachment 120996

View attachment 120997
Following!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Updated first post with the frame build process. Was going to use two colors on the edges but my traditional fire engine red was one solid chunk.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Psyborg, I have this dumb thing at work where Youtube is a metered thing. Work is were I "occasionally" review this site, I only see Video 1 and Video 2.

Would you mind indulging me with a brief title for them, to see if I should "run the Youtube meter"? Thanks.

The one on soldering would have helped me SO much a year or two ago. Now, it just helps reinforces the better habits. (y)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Will edit first post as well as drop the third in the series mate.

Thanks for checkin it out and the support with a comment and likes. Much aporeciated.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Updated first post with part 4. Completed the build portion.

Also added some close in pucs of the wireing

Last edited:

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Nice build! I'm wanting to build a 3" Gecko next but it's cheaper to buy from Armattan.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well got a perfect first day of spring here yesterday. High 60's, bright sunshine, near zero winds.

Got out to do some set up on the Mach 1. Had some great first flights.

Got too far ahead of myself and was over confident when I tried it on 5s. Got too far ahead as I was ding minor tuning changes and rate changes.

Did not how ever change the rates I started with on the 5s profile but still romped on it with no build up.

Results are my payment with a broken arm.

Video is up in the first post with all the other media.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Got the arm repaired. Weather was good enough to fly today so I ran some packs thru it.

I started out on a few 4s packs and it was doing really good so I decided to give 5s another try only not push it as hard as I was on 4s.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Quick update.

This is from todays flights. So far all stock settings other the pid detuning for 5s and more rate changes.

Goin for that 360 degree spin in two side by side gates like Vanover does. For now saving props piroetting flags as tight and as fast as possible.

This is flown on 5s with wimpy 5x4x3 props staying around 2/3 throttle with a blip higher on straight away.